IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
look yall. No cert is worthless and no cert is guaranteed to get you a job. If you want to know what cert YOU should get, that really depends on you(also your job market, experience, resume, etc). I could tell you to get a CISSP or a CCIE but if you have no experience and the entry level jobs you want ask for A+ then which is more valuable to you? That A+ is.

You have to figure out which cert is most valuable for you. And to do that you need to look at the jobs in your area that you are trying to get. If they ask for A+ and you dont have one? Get the A+. If you have a little experience and the jobs dont ask for it, then its not worth much for YOU. But for others it may be. Once a market gets saturated, hiring managers need a way to filter the resumes to a reasonable number. So if adding cert requirements will accomplish that, they will do it. Thats why some areas might ask for mad certs and others may not for the same role.

Also, there is no set series of certs that will guarantee success. Certs are basically just a tool to get you through HR/recruiters filtering processes and into an interview. Thats it. But that doesnt mean they are bad. If it can help you get an interview then that is great. And they really do help in that area.

So to progress your career, you need to keep your options open, and learn as much as you can to open as many doors as possible. If that means getting a degree, then do it. If it means getting a bunch of certs do that. If it means building a home lab and studying on your own, do that too. But whatever you do, get used to having to solve problems if you want to be in IT. And the most important problem to solve is your career path!

Good luck brehs
:dame:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Bout to start applying to shyt for the hell of it.

Windows 10 Consultant
6 Months
$50 an hour

QQeZcZL.gif

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Next summer will be my 5th year in this company. Company has given me so much and vice versa. I am happy with my job but im thinking i should see whats out there for me in 2018. See if I can get more money elsewhere. I stay getting hitting up by recruiters and whatnot.

Last edited:

Silkk

Daps
what changed?
Just not having excess money like I used to at my last two positions. Straight salary, No OT. After deductions im bringing home about 1700 every two weeks.

Previous job I would bring home about 2k every two weeks.

Before that, on contract I was doing anywhere from 2300-2800 every two weeks.

Also went back to school and started paying out of pocket so that really made me take notice of how little I have remaining after bills and stuff.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Just not having excess money like I used to at my last two positions. Straight salary, No OT. After deductions im bringing home about 1700 every two weeks.

Previous job I would bring home about 2k every two weeks.

Before that, on contract I was doing anywhere from 2300-2800 every two weeks.

Also went back to school and started paying out of pocket so that really made me take notice of how little I have remaining after bills and stuff.

adjusting lifestyle i hear that...shyt is something else

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I don't like static environments. I want to travel and do POCs. Does anyone know of good companies for pre sales or VARs for Systems (PKI or Server migrations).

Silkk

Daps
You never know until you ask. Dont count yourself out of money because you arent sure. They may have gone through 10 shytty applicants. If you sell yourself right they may just say lets do it just to lock you in.
Breh I haven't even heard anything back yet :dahell: