IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Feel like i've hit the wall, I want some more money.

Used to get checks big enough to knock out all my monthly bills in one swoop, invest with, and fukk around with

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Do you think a+ is worthless? Should I jump straight into sec+? I think the courses I'm taking this semester will give some knowledge on a+ stuff. After I pass sec* I wanna take my ccna or ccent then join the military for experience and to get a clearance. Good or bad?

Some people would say the A+ is worthless. I think its a good cert for someone new to IT to get their foot in the door and its not a hard cert to get. I personally wouldn't take courses for it. It's easy enough that you can self study from one of the many books and pass it. I don't know much about the military but one of my boys is eating pretty good from the experience and clearance he got while in without any certs. If you're going to join the military I would just hold off on the certs until you get in, gain some experience, figure out what route in IT you want to go, and then have them pay for the training/certs while you're in.

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
Some people would say the A+ is worthless. I think its a good cert for someone new to IT to get their foot in the door and its not a hard cert to get. I personally wouldn't take courses for it. It's easy enough that you can self study from one of the many books and pass it. I don't know much about the military but one of my boys is eating pretty good from the experience and clearance he got while in without any certs. If you're going to join the military I would just hold off on the certs until you get in, gain some experience, and then have them pay for the training/certs while you're in.
I got 6 months to lose 30lbs anyway before I join. I want 1 or 2 before I even go in to get it out the way. So you think a+ and sec+ is possible in 6 months?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I got 6 months to lose 30lbs anyway before I join. I want 1 or 2 before I even go in to get it out the way. So you think a+ and sec+ is possible in 6 months?

Definitely should be able to get the A+ in that time but trying to get that and the Security+ in 6 months might be a bit too much. That said I always been a believer that if you truly want something you can make it happen so go for it just try not to burn yourself out.

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
Definitely should be able to get the A+ in that time but trying to get that and the Security+ in 6 months might be a bit too much. That said I always been a believer that if you truly want something you can make it happen so go for it just try not to burn yourself out.
Good looks bro. You don't think I should just skip to the sec+? Hopefully with this clearance. And military work experiences A+ wouldn't really matter would it? I plan on getting ccna ccnet cissp from the military. And should I get a BA in cyber security if information technology.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Good looks bro. You don't think I should just skip to the sec+? Hopefully with this clearance. And military work experiences A+ wouldn't really matter would it? I plan on getting ccna ccnet cissp from the military. And should I get a BA in cyber security if information technology.

Well it was because you said the A+ and Security+ that I wrote what I did. If you spend the next 6 months focused solely on the Security+ then you should be able to get it. As far as degree, as long as it's IT related you should be fine. There's plenty of people in IT who don't IT related degrees.