IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You can get a help desk job damn near anywhere with just a High School Diploma. When I started my help desk job earlier this year and told my boss I had a bachelors degree he laughed at me.

In other news I finished up my last week at my help desk job and I must say I will NEVER do that shyt ever again. I can't believe so many brain dead and entitled idiots work for a 500 Fortune company that don't know how to reset their password or even worse, log off the fukking computer. My last call of the job was an idiot who couldn't understand basic password requirements. Had to reset her password 8 times because she kept forgetting it. Took damn near an hour :hhh:

I have enough stacked up for 2 months so I'm gonna go ahead and get this CCNA next month.
you quit? :wtf:

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Most likely CAC and BOSTON

Not taking away from his grind because he worked for it.

And getting that foot in the door is very hard, and how is he getting 20 a hour with no experience with a A,N+?

that's quite difficult.

:patrice: Eh. I don't know about that.

My progression:

41K - Helpdesk (Sec+)
55K - Systems Engineer
65K - Same
75K - Security Engineer (CISSP, CCNA, Sec+)
85K - Network Engineer
105K - Security Engineer

- Another company is looking to bring me on at 125K in the next two weeks.

Certs: Security+, CCNA, CISSP
Degree: None, didn't even graduate high school.
Experience: ~5 years

Honestly, I'm just coasting right now. For a long time I wasn't concerned about money so I didn't push for anything. Pushing, I should get to 130k+ in the next year or so.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
My post wasn't meant to boast or collect daps. I really feel like I'm underachieving.

For years I've treated these jobs as the thing I do until I get to "the other" thing.

Just saying, it's out there if you want it, especially if you're aggressive about your career.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
:patrice: Eh. I don't know about that.

My progression:

41K - Helpdesk (Sec+)
55K - Systems Engineer
65K - Same
75K - Security Engineer (CISSP, CCNA, Sec+)
85K - Network Engineer
105K - Security Engineer

- Another company is looking to bring me on at 125K in the next two weeks.

Certs: Security+, CCNA, CISSP
Degree: None, didn't even graduate high school.
Experience: ~5 years

Honestly, I'm just coasting right now. For a long time I wasn't concerned about money so I didn't push for anything. Pushing, I should get to 130k+ in the next year or so.

Imma need you to write a detailed book explaining the process bruh.

On a serious note how would you explain the difference in responsibilities between a Network and Security engineer ( and how relevant did you feel your CISSP was to the roles)

Daps
Imma need you to write a detailed book explaining the process bruh.

On a serious note how would you explain the difference in responsibilities between a Network and Security engineer ( and how relevant did you feel your CISSP was to the roles)

CISSP covers the background knowledge for the entire info sec community. Its extremely relevant but it doesnt not go into depth on any one subject. Nevertheless, its probably one of the most valuable certs out there. i've more than tippled my salary since getting mine about 6 years ago. I advise anyone to study the subject matter before they go into infosec as if gives a nice idea of the different areas. But just know you cant get the cert until you have the experience.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Most likely CAC and BOSTON

Not taking away from his grind because he worked for it.

And getting that foot in the door is very hard, and how is he getting 20 a hour with no experience with a A,N+?

that's quite difficult.

It's not that crazy. I started out having had no real job in IT. I'd done work with medical records and EMR before, so that helped a little. I got my A+, Net+.

Worked for 0$ as an intern for 3 months as an adult (yep).

Got promoted to a system analyst gig paying 17 (in a midwestern city, plus full benefits. My overall compensation was about 40k including those.

Worked for a year and a half there.

Now i'm a security analyst pulling down 95. I got Sec+ after i got my sysanalyst job.

Now you might just see that and think ducktales, but it doesnt show that aside from certs, i spent hours cramming Linux, programming, network engineering, system administration, going to B-sides events, reading reddit and team cymru and twitter and OWASP to understand threats better. I also forced my way into security duties at my sysanalyst job. The key is to grind, stay humble, network. I highly recommend seeking out a mentor who can show you where your knowledge is lacking. That alone saved me a year.

Hustle hard. Get involved in the community on MeetUp. I'd even go to cloud talks and i never wanted to be a cloud engineer. Stay open minded. Certs are great, but skills and knowledge and showing initiative + experience are key.

Last edited:

The BasedFather

Task Force
Daps
Reppin
Bltch Mob
I've decided to pursue a career in IT, maybe security? I have absolutely no knowledge or experience in this. I'm about to try and get the IT Fundamentals certificate (is this a good start?).

How long do you guys think I should study for that certificate? Should I buy anything to study for it, or can the information be found on the web?

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Aye I'm around 21, just graduated with a Cyber Security bachelors degree, and have 2 years of Security experience under my belt.

Any advice/lessons you guys learned from your early career. I should take.

From your experience, what do you think my market value is around (I'm in TX), because I feel like some of these companies are trying to undercut me (could be because I'm black though)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I've decided to pursue a career in IT, maybe security? I have absolutely no knowledge or experience in this. I'm about to try and get the IT Fundamentals certificate (is this a good start?).

How long do you guys think I should study for that certificate? Should I buy anything to study for it, or can the information be found on the web?

Research some of the paths in IT and see if any of them truly interest you. Security is typically not where you start in IT due to previous knowledge being needed. If you have no prior knowledge and just want to get your foot in I would recommend the A+. I'll link a couple of books later to help you get started.

The BasedFather

Task Force
Daps
Reppin
Bltch Mob
Research some of the paths in IT and see if any of them truly interest you. Security is typically not where you start in IT due to previous knowledge being needed. If you have no prior knowledge and just want to get your foot in I would recommend the A+. I'll link a couple of books later to help you get started.

Thanks man.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Aye I'm around 21, just graduated with a Cyber Security bachelors degree, and have 2 years of Security experience under my belt.

Any advice/lessons you guys learned from your early career. I should take.

From your experience, what do you think my market value is around (I'm in TX), because I feel like some of these companies are trying to undercut me (could be because I'm black though)

Always be willing to learn something new and never get comfortable. You can really go far in IT if you put forth the effort. As for your market value, someone once told me that your worth whatever someone is willing to pay you. If you feel you are being undercut(lets be real being black you probably are) find someone who will pay you what you are worth. At a certain point, you'll know your shyt enough that you won't even have to worry about being undercut. You'll just laugh at what's being offered and move onto something else. Just keep grinding and you'll get there.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Anyone ever get a "homework assignment" before an interview? It's a networking challenge and how I would implement/plan for these changes in a enterprise environment.