IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
@GollyImGully You did your aws yet? I slacked off :snoop:

Im working on it you know how things go

full

:dead:

But nah seriously I put it to the side for now. I've been doing studying for the CCNA security for the past month. That will help me more currently than the AWS.

I am going to revisit it down the line when Im actually using it more but right now I'd prob forget it in in a month than with the cisco stuff id be doing it everyday

BVII

Pro
Daps
A local hospital near me has an opening for a help desk analyst that only requires a degree or an A+ cert. I graduate with a BS in IT in December and in the mean time between now and December I could probably get a A+ cert also. I won't be able to start until mid December though, so would it be worth it for me to apply?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
A local hospital near me has an opening for a help desk analyst that only requires a degree or an A+ cert. I graduate with a BS in IT in December and in the mean time between now and December I could probably get a A+ cert also. I won't be able to start until mid December though, so would it be worth it for me to apply?
Yes, I would just put on your resume your expected graduation date.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
So im currently in college for computer science , but im also thinking about doing this as a plan B.
is there any roadmap i can follow on which certs to get?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So im currently in college for computer science , but im also thinking about doing this as a plan B.
is there any roadmap i can follow on which certs to get?
If you're doing computer science you don't need certifications.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I prefer reading from a hard textbook, but i'm hoarding all them shyts :skip:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Question bras...what's the most y'all lied about on ur resume :dame:

I'm not talking about fluffing up ur job responsibilities

I'm talking about adding jobs and volunteer experience u never did. I did that for some a few dumb warehouse jobs like said I worked for UPS for 2 years :mjgrin:

But I know this shyt more serious :feedme:

:dame:

You could probably get away with embellishing your previous job responsibilities and making them sound more important than they were, but I wouldn't recommend flat out lying about your education or experience.

For an IT job, they'll notice pretty quick if you don't have the skills you claim.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Most likely CAC and BOSTON

Not taking away from his grind because he worked for it.

And getting that foot in the door is very hard, and how is he getting 20 a hour with no experience with a A,N+?

that's quite difficult.
Cities matter and race matters as well. What you can do in Dc is easier than Atlanta.

When you are white, white people are begging you to be qualified. When you are Black, they are forced to hire you when qualified. The reason why I say this is, you can have no experience and be hired as a white person but as a Black person, no. Most did it by contracting then became stable.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
How hard is it to get a help desk job with a bachelor degree in Atlanta?

You can get a help desk job damn near anywhere with just a High School Diploma. When I started my help desk job earlier this year and told my boss I had a bachelors degree he laughed at me.

In other news I finished up my last week at my help desk job and I must say I will NEVER do that shyt ever again. I can't believe so many brain dead and entitled idiots work for a 500 Fortune company that don't know how to reset their password or even worse, log off the fukking computer. My last call of the job was an idiot who couldn't understand basic password requirements. Had to reset her password 8 times because she kept forgetting it. Took damn near an hour :hhh:

I have enough stacked up for 2 months so I'm gonna go ahead and get this CCNA next month.