IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My project was ahead of schedule. I was feeling myself at that point :takedat:

Boss: CZR, did you get my email?
Me: Yes sir, do you want to me fix it? :lupe:

Boss: No, just create a ticket and send it to the Ops team.

Me: Sure thing, chief :myman: just to confirm, you want me to create 1 ticket, right?

Boss: No, create a ticket for each instance :smugdraper:
Me: But that would take 2000+ tickets :hhh:
Boss: Better get started :smugbiden:

Me: :dame::what::martin::mjcry:

I almost walked smooth out that bihh.

#stillpayindues #certgang #wheremy6figsdoe

Edit: False alarm, brehs. Boss ran up on me after the 200th ticket talking bout "I was kidding"

200.gif
lmaoooo damn breh

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
any primavera p6 planners out here ???:mjcry:

my old manager said I should get into it

"son,work 6 months,take 6 months off" his words :wow:

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
I read this entire 288 pg thread and brehs like @bdizzle @Data-Hawk @Ice_MF_Mike @FreshFromATL @krexzen and a host others were dropping nothing but gems. I encourage other people to read this thread for their benefit. But I took the time to make a PDF file of the gems that I thought were beneficial with some general guidelines as well so cats don't come in here and ask the same question. The link to the PDF is below

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/615605/Coli-IT-Careers-thread-Breakdown-pdf.html
Enjoy the gems

Do you still have this pdf? Would surely appreciate it :sadcam:

here you go breh, http://www.filedropper.com/resumeoutline-copy

I removed the personal information, if you have any questions PM me.

Can you PM me that sample if you still have it? I moved to Austin a month ago for my first Help Desk job at eBay. Love the job, hate the environment. Thinking of moving back to Atlanta but my resume isn't giving me any bite :sadcam: Would really appreciate this sample if still available.

So this is a really long thread. I'm sure the info I want is in here somewhere but digging through this whole thread isn't an easy task.

I want to get into the IT Cert game. I currently have none. I'm in my mid 30's and have worked my way up to Sr. Supervisor at an ISP call center. I've hit the ceiling here and would like to move my career from the ISP customer care side to the network/security side. I've been doing research for the past month or so and I'd like to get some feedback about my cert road map.

1st : A+ and or Network+
2nd: Security+
3rd: CCNA

Thoughts? Should I move CCNA to #2 and Security+ to #3? Am I missing some important certs in my 1-3 road map?

So, it's been over a year and this is actually my roadmap to becoming a Network Security Admin. Did this plan work out for you? Did you add any tweaks to it?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Do you still have this pdf? Would surely appreciate it :sadcam:

Can you PM me that sample if you still have it? I moved to Austin a month ago for my first Help Desk job at eBay. Love the job, hate the environment. Thinking of moving back to Atlanta but my resume isn't giving me any bite :sadcam: Would really appreciate this sample if still available.

So, it's been over a year and this is actually my roadmap to becoming a Network Security Admin. Did this plan work out for you? Did you add any tweaks to it?

Why not put in 1-2 yrs at ebay and try to move into a higher role internally or elsewhere. Relocation for a lateral move seems like a horrible ROI.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Why not put in 1-2 yrs at ebay and try to move into a higher role internally or elsewhere. Relocation for a lateral move seems like a horrible ROI.

I realllllllllllllyyyy don't like it here... too many whites, I feel out of place... too expensive, I moved out here with a trunkful of stuff & $300 to my name, currently been hopping from one Airbnb to the next.... lonely, don't know absolutely anyone out here :lupe: no family, no friends. I left Miami once eBay gave me that call. I even spoke to them about my experience so far. They said because I'm in the "introductory" phase, I can put in a resignation & come back once something opens again. I'm eligible for rehire, if anything. Perfect thing just at a wrong time...

Spin

All Star
Daps
I realllllllllllllyyyy don't like it here... too many whites, I feel out of place... too expensive, I moved out here with a trunkful of stuff & $300 to my name, currently been hopping from one Airbnb to the next.... lonely, don't know absolutely anyone out here :lupe: no family, no friends. I left Miami once eBay gave me that call. I even spoke to them about my experience so far. They said because I'm in the "introductory" phase, I can put in a resignation & come back once something opens again. I'm eligible for rehire, if anything. Perfect thing just at a wrong time...

It doesn't really make sense to the leave the job, but that's just my opinion. Is the job itself bad or you just don't like the people there? Do they pay for you to get certifications? If you leave to go back home and have a job lined up, that is different. However leaving just to leave is putting yourself at a disadvantage. You can go through this thread and see how many people are fighting just to get their first crack at an IT job.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
It doesn't really make sense to the leave the job, but that's just my opinion. Is the job itself bad or you just don't like the people there? Do they pay for you to get certifications? If you leave to go back home and have a job lined up, that is different. However leaving just to leave is putting yourself at a disadvantage. You can go through this thread and see how many people are fighting just to get their first crack at an IT job.

The job itself is great, the people are, eh, okay. No- they don't pay for certifications. I actually do have a few jobs lined up in Atlanta but none are solid yet. I've done tests and interviews- what I'm waiting on now is the final call for a decision. I applied with ADP tech support, did everything from their assessments to their phone interviews. Waiting for their decision. CarMax tech support, did assessment and one phone interview. Have another phone interview tomorrow morning. Applied for the city government tech support for waste management, they want me to schedule an in-house assessment. I already got turned down for 2 other jobs because I'm not there at this very moment. I would eventually have to appear in person for the other 3.

I spoke to the HR at eBay yesterday. She said they don't want to lose me as an employee so if I would like, they have a training class that starts July 10th (I would need to go back into training as a refresher). If nothing works out, I can come back without having to go through the hiring process again- she said she will put me down as doing a leave of absence & I would just need to be back by the 10th.

I think I'm going to take them up on that :yeshrug:

I understand some of the posters are fighting to get their first crack at an IT job but why exactly can't they do what I did? I drove 20 hrs from Miami to Austin to get my foot in the door. Most of these people don't want to leave their comfort zone to get into their field, that just shows how far their ambition goes- I was willing to leave even with nothing but now that I have offers back at home I'm more than capable of moving back AND still having a job being held on the back burner just in case it doesn't work out.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

you might as well just give up working in America if too many whites is an issue for you lol.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
you might as well just give up working in America if too many whites is an issue for you lol.

Lol I mean it's not..... it's just alot of getting use to, I suppose. At least while I was in Miami, the whites were mingled in with the Cubans & Jamaicans & the Haitians & Bahamians & Puerto Ricans, etc. With the diverse culture, there was no way of being singled out. Not here in Austin though :sadcam:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lol I mean it's not..... it's just alot of getting use to, I suppose. At least while I was in Miami, the whites were mingled in with the Cubans & Jamaicans & the Haitians & Bahamians & Puerto Ricans, etc. With the diverse culture, there was no way of being singled out. Not here in Austin though :sadcam:

Eff a diverse culture. Get your money and move to the next opportunity when it is time. You got Ebay on your resume now, all this stuff you concerned about will be non factors once you get the experience to make some real money. As long as you aren't in a role where you are being micromanaged to the point it impacts your performance than there isn't much to complain about. You're in the grind stage so you just gotta suck it up because I promise there are 10+ dudes in this thread worrying about little things like getting their worthless A+ certs who would rather trade places with you.

If this is what you actually want to do then you'd know that the annoying sacrifices will pay off (unless you plan on being in help desk forever).