IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Eff a diverse culture. Get your money and move to the next opportunity when it is time. You got Ebay on your resume now, all this stuff you concerned about will be non factors once you get the experience to make some real money. As long as you aren't in a role where you are being micromanaged to the point it impacts your performance than there isn't much to complain about. You're in the grind stage so you just gotta suck it up because I promise there are 10+ dudes in this thread worrying about little things like getting their worthless A+ certs who would rather trade places with you.

If this is what you actually want to do then you'd know that the annoying sacrifices will pay off (unless you plan on being in help desk forever).

This can't be emphasize enough. I'm sure there's huge room for growth and opportunities to learn at eBay. Its sounds like they value you as an employee so who knows what lies ahead if you stick it out for a bit.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Do you still have this pdf? Would surely appreciate it :sadcam:

Can you PM me that sample if you still have it? I moved to Austin a month ago for my first Help Desk job at eBay. Love the job, hate the environment. Thinking of moving back to Atlanta but my resume isn't giving me any bite :sadcam: Would really appreciate this sample if still available.

So, it's been over a year and this is actually my roadmap to becoming a Network Security Admin. Did this plan work out for you? Did you add any tweaks to it?

shyt this was so long ago I don't even know if I have the template, what are you trying to do exactly? I may be able to help you.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Eff a diverse culture. Get your money and move to the next opportunity when it is time. You got Ebay on your resume now, all this stuff you concerned about will be non factors once you get the experience to make some real money. As long as you aren't in a role where you are being micromanaged to the point it impacts your performance than there isn't much to complain about. You're in the grind stage so you just gotta suck it up because I promise there are 10+ dudes in this thread worrying about little things like getting their worthless A+ certs who would rather trade places with you.

If this is what you actually want to do then you'd know that the annoying sacrifices will pay off (unless you plan on being in help desk forever).

This can't be emphasize enough. I'm sure there's huge room for growth and opportunities to learn at eBay. Its sounds like they value you as an employee so who knows what lies ahead if you stick it out for a bit.

Y'all right, I'll sit my lovely ass down. :hamster:

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
shyt this was so long ago I don't even know if I have the template, what are you trying to do exactly? I may be able to help you.

Just trying to convert my resume into a more technical one. Only job I have on there is when I was working for TSA and the one I just got now with eBay as a Tech Support. I have no certs, no prior technical training besides that I'm still enrolled in school for Cyber Security & eBay is my first help desk job.

I'll do what the previous posters said & just stick it out here in Austin with eBay instead of heading back home to Atlanta but I still wanna do this resume conversion.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Just trying to convert my resume into a more technical one. Only job I have on there is when I was working for TSA and the one I just got now with eBay as a Tech Support. I have no certs, no prior technical training besides that I'm still enrolled in school for Cyber Security & eBay is my first help desk job.

I'll do what the previous posters said & just stick it out here in Austin with eBay instead of heading back home to Atlanta but I still wanna do this resume conversion.
Yea I skimmed over the replies and I agree with them.

fukk that "diversity" bullshyt, it's cool and all but at the end of the day it's about securing your future career path and bank account. if you aren't stepping on any feet or disrespecting folks, let that diversity feeling be something you do when you start your own IT company. but right now, eBay is one hell of a resume entry.

once you finish cyber security, get your Sec+ cert or whatever security cert they are seeking at eBay, you'll be making a lot of money, hopefully contacts and gain knowledge.

you are in a company that other's would love to be in. keep your head up and just grind breh/brehette

if you put in hard work, it's going to pay off.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Yea I skimmed over the replies and I agree with them.

fukk that "diversity" bullshyt, it's cool and all but at the end of the day it's about securing your future career path and bank account. if you aren't stepping on any feet or disrespecting folks, let that diversity feeling be something you do when you start your own IT company. but right now, eBay is one hell of a resume entry.

once you finish cyber security, get your Sec+ cert or whatever security cert they are seeking at eBay, you'll be making a lot of money, hopefully contacts and gain knowledge.

you are in a company that other's would love to be in. keep your head up and just grind breh/brehette

if you put in hard work, it's going to pay off.

Thanks for the insight :salute:

However, was that a no to the resume help?

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
TODAY.

I need to start studying and learning the basics of A+. I known the exam may be a little pricey. But I'm not even close to ready for that. What book do I need to get started? Is there a single book that will cover the whole basics of A+ that I can study for the exam?

I gotta make some moves.

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
TODAY.

I need to start studying and learning the basics of A+. I known the exam may be a little pricey. But I'm not even close to ready for that. What book do I need to get started? Is there a single book that will cover the whole basics of A+ that I can study for the exam?

I gotta make some moves.

Download the exam objectives off the comptia website. Use it to check off that you know everything on it.

On Youtube search Professor Messer 901 and 902. He has all the info you'll need to pass the exams. His vids cover all the topics.

Use this website to take practice exams -
CompTIA Practice Exams

Don't get the A+ Mike Myers books. It's super wordy and has a ton of fluff.

Now if I can only follow my own advice. I've been saying I'm gonna get the A+ for over a year and still haven't done it :snoop::snoop::snoop:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Got out of the military last year and didnt know what to do when I got home..I thought about doing dental hygiene but the program was always closed.

It was suggested to me to apply as a paraprofessional because it was easy money, a full time job and it had benefits. 2 years later still doing it, but I was making $8.16 when I first started, now im with a district making $16 an hour. Teaching these black babies and guiding them the right way has became my passion and ill be finishing my degree soon to become a certified teacher. I plan to be a sports agent as a side hustle representing players from HBCUs in all sports. Pray for me brehs

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Ight so if I cop this A+ for Dummies book, what's next? Other than study of course. I am located in Charlotte.
I'm 20, 21 in 2 months.

Edit - Also can I look how I want in the IT world? I have no problem with dress shirts n shyt but I mean can I look like Rae Sremmurd in a business suit. I know I always come to this thread every few months but people been pressuring me to go to College, I wanna take the IT route and boss up.

Last edited:

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
The same lady has called me three times in a row today because she keeps forgetting her password. I'm so ready to log the fukk out and dip from this bytch forever.

Taking the Net+ in two weeks, can't wait to quit this job brehs.
What cert did you use to get this job? I can take that annoyance for a little bit :lupe: