IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Thinking about taking the Certified ethical hacker cert. can anyone give me the run down I'm graduating soon with with an information and assurance degree what other certs should I be looking at that ties close to my degree? I looked at the requirements for the cert, can I take the exam without having work experience?

I was thinking Security+ and the CEH? :jbhmm:

Last edited:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Adding some devOps skills to my repertoire. Learning docker. Ain't an easy thing to make it play nice with Windows tho. :scust:

doing the same. Studying for the RHCSA now and some python and then going to learn Ansible, Vagrant, Docker, and knock out the AWS Sol Architect cert. I have a screening for a company that uses AWS though so that would be a God send if it comes through.
What are you guys doing to learn ansible?

Been learning it from a udemy class and applying it at work. Pretty neat tool

reppin202

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The job itself is great, the people are, eh, okay. No- they don't pay for certifications. I actually do have a few jobs lined up in Atlanta but none are solid yet. I've done tests and interviews- what I'm waiting on now is the final call for a decision. I applied with ADP tech support, did everything from their assessments to their phone interviews. Waiting for their decision. CarMax tech support, did assessment and one phone interview. Have another phone interview tomorrow morning. Applied for the city government tech support for waste management, they want me to schedule an in-house assessment. I already got turned down for 2 other jobs because I'm not there at this very moment. I would eventually have to appear in person for the other 3.

I spoke to the HR at eBay yesterday. She said they don't want to lose me as an employee so if I would like, they have a training class that starts July 10th (I would need to go back into training as a refresher). If nothing works out, I can come back without having to go through the hiring process again- she said she will put me down as doing a leave of absence & I would just need to be back by the 10th.

I think I'm going to take them up on that :yeshrug:

I understand some of the posters are fighting to get their first crack at an IT job but why exactly can't they do what I did? I drove 20 hrs from Miami to Austin to get my foot in the door. Most of these people don't want to leave their comfort zone to get into their field, that just shows how far their ambition goes- I was willing to leave even with nothing but now that I have offers back at home I'm more than capable of moving back AND still having a job being held on the back burner just in case it doesn't work out.
Are they still hiring and what certs was needed to get into that job? And are there any other black people at the job?

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Are they still hiring and what certs was needed to get into that job? And are there any other black people at the job?

I believe they're still hiring. Check their website on their career page. No certs needed. A few black people. It's a big ass department so I haven't seen everyone.

MITS

All Star
Daps
Have a background in sales and going to get started on a career in IT.

Are their any IT positions were sales experience will help further my career?

Thanks

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Appreciate the reply. Going to work on A+ and Security + this summer. Just trying to get a heads up on what areas I can get into.
If you want to do sales you dont need any of that.

Look at job requirements first for what you want tk do and go from there opposed to wasting time doing things you may not need.

MITS

All Star
Daps
If you want to do sales you dont need any of that.

Look at job requirements first for what you want tk do and go from there opposed to wasting time doing things you may not need.

I've searched for some positions, majority require experience with IT.

Not sure if IT sales is the route I want to go.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I was offered an SOC analyst role. :patrice:
Total comp is 10k more than I make now. :jbhmm:
I would learn more.

Vs.

Commute would take over an hour each way :hhh: (current gig is 20 mins away.)
Would have to actually work (all I do is listen to music and study at my current gig :troll: )
Would give up the freedom to come in late, leave early, and take 2 hr lunches :skip:.
The new gig is technically a step down from my current role. (SOC's are the help desk of cybesecurity :lupe: )

Had I not found this thread the 'new gig' would have been my only option off help desk.

If you knew better you'd do better. Read the entire thread if you haven't.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I was offered an SOC analyst role. :patrice:
Total comp is 10k more than I make now. :jbhmm:
I would learn more.

Vs.

Commute would take over an hour each way :hhh: (current gig is 20 mins away.)
Would have to actually work (all I do is listen to music and study at my current gig :troll: )
Would give up the freedom to come in late, leave early, and take 2 hr lunches :skip:.
The new gig is technically a step down from my current role. (SOC's are the help desk of cybesecurity :lupe: )

Had I not found this thread the 'new gig' would have been my only option off help desk.

If you knew better you'd do better. Read the entire thread if you haven't.

Take the new gig and try to move closer to it, learning more skills and implementing those skills are going to help you in the long run big time.
Trust me.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I've searched for some positions, majority require experience with IT.

Not sure if IT sales is the route I want to go.
Breh, my ex makes 125k a year doing software sales for Citrix. She was a pysch major and didn't know Jack shyt about computers. Your gift of gab is more valuable than most of these certs.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Take the new gig and try to move closer to it, learning more skills and implementing those skills are going to help you in the long run big time.
Trust me.

I'm currently a Security Consultant and I plan to take the OSCP in August. Because of those two factors I figure it won't make sense to leave for a high stress SOC while I'm planning my pivot into pen testing.