IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
You make a good point, I didn't think to push him in that direction. But for CS they'll probably have him take some of the fundamental undergrad courses before he can take the graduate courses. A dude at my school was in the MS program but taking the undergrad algorithms course, FSM/Automata course, and OS course. Those courses typically require prior knowledge of data structures like linked lists, heaps, trees, etc., so a newcomer might have a tough go at it. I couldn't say what he'd need to know for a M.S., CIS, but probably a solid background with networks, databases, and security.

Either way though he'd have better paths open; Amazon is doing some pretty extensive hiring looking for people with Machine Learning and NLP knowledge. VMWare and Cisco are hiring a lot of security engineers.

Like I mentioned before I didn't even consider this as an option :ohhh:
Definitely worth looking deeper into this.
The Coli delivers once again :blessed:

StrivingDaily

Rookie
Daps
I'm about to graduate with an IT degree. My problem is that that field is so broad so I don't know what type of entry job I should apply for or anything. Ultimately I'd like to do Cyber security. Any tips or suggestions?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm about to graduate with an IT degree. My problem is that that field is so broad so I don't know what type of entry job I should apply for or anything. Ultimately I'd like to do Cyber security. Any tips or suggestions?
Apply to everything because landing a job ain't as easy as people pretend it is :francis:. I'm probably 50 applications deep within the past week and doubt I'll hear back on any of them.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been slowly studying for the solutions architect associate. Gonna take it in a couple weeks.

How has studying for that gone? Are you familiar with Cloud Computing and REST APIs prior to studying for this?

Also where are you finding the info breh? :feedme:

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
any app builders in the thread?

I have a retail client who wants to essentially create an app where the customer comes in and gives the employee their name and then the employee deducts their balance.

This is a successful retail location with over 4 million in sales, but this app is only expected to see about 10-15 transactions a day so nothing extremely heavy.

The business owner just likes getting the upfront money from the customers, and I have ran extremely successful campaigns online that's resulted in 4k plus in a week in upfront payments by including trinkets or a 5% discount...

How hard would something like this be to someone who never created an app? How long would it take? I have the next 5 months to work on this...

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
any app builders in the thread?

I have a retail client who wants to essentially create an app where the customer comes in and gives the employee their name and then the employee deducts their balance.

This is a successful retail location with over 4 million in sales, but this app is only expected to see about 10-15 transactions a day so nothing extremely heavy.

The business owner just likes getting the upfront money from the customers, and I have ran extremely successful campaigns online that's resulted in 4k plus in a week in upfront payments by including trinkets or a 5% discount...

How hard would something like this be to someone who never created an app? How long would it take? I have the next 5 months to work on this...
Do not do this yourself especially if the app will deal with banking or credit card information

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It's going to take way longer than 5 months, especially if you're just starting... especially if you're going to be responsible for both the front-end and server-side.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Been studying for my sec+ the past couple of weeks. Why does this shyt seem easier than the A+ brehs?

:dwillhuh:

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Is it best to knock out certifications even though you don't have much experience? I take the A+ in 3 weeks.

I was planning on studying this summer for the Network+ and taking it in July. Then I was going to try and study for the Security+ and take it in the fall.

Or should I get the A+ and then try to get work experience and take the Network+ later this year or early next year?

Right now I'm in school and I only have 2 semesters left. My current job is paying for my school so I can't leave for another job at the moment.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man these stupid ass recruiters will see what your rate is and still waste your time :snoop:

"I'd rather talk on the phone by email, can you call me back:wrist:"

"Look nikka, I need __ per hour on W2, Overtime, Day one 401k, and a one year contract:dame:"

Hate all that extra bullshyt :camby:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Man these stupid ass recruiters will see what your rate is and still waste your time :snoop:

"I'd rather talk on the phone by email, can you call me back:wrist:"

"Look nikka, I need __ per hour on W2, Overtime, Day one 401k, and a one year contract:dame:"

Hate all that extra bullshyt :camby:
Fools be sending me jobs that look for 10+ years of experience and a host of technologies not listed on my resume like I really have a chance.