IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I've been at my helpdesk job for 3+ months now. Would it look bad if I start applying to different jobs already?
Nope, do what you feel need to. Worst come to worst leave that shyt completely off your resume.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Finished Sec+. Now time to get my GitHub in order and build a proper home lab. I got a server coming my way :lift:

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Finished Sec+. Now time to get my GitHub in order and build a proper home lab. I got a server coming my way :lift:

When are you going to start the OSCP?

I'm going to cop the 90 day access in a month.

I'm reading The Violent Python right now.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
How was it?

Pretty easy. Some of the likely non-graded questions had some weird application security and authentication bits but it was fine.

When are you going to start the OSCP?

I'm going to cop the 90 day access in a month.

I'm reading The Violent Python right now.

Haven't decided on whether i'm going to do OSCP or GCIH first. My Linux and Bash skills aren't quite there yet on the former :flabbynsick:

I like the Black Hat Python / Gray Hat stuff from Justin Seitz/NoStarchPress.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The VP of tech installed postgreSQL on his Mac and it renamed his account and made it unable to access his files. I fix it. He goes home early and now the problem has come back. I try to troubleshoot over Slack chat...but at this point I think he may have deleted his original home folder.

And I don't think he backed up his stuff after I fixed the issue earlier today either.
:shaq2:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
What would be the better cert to get first to transition out of a help desk role to sys admin, mcsa/mcse server or rhcsa/rhce? I plan to get both of them tho but just want a recommendation

HughJeff

Rookie
Daps
I have my Network+ CE and Security+ CE. Trying to decide if im going into networking or cybersecurity. I currently work for the DOD. Ive been in IT for about 3 years now. In IT i think it depends on if you want to be really technical or passively technical.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
What would be the better cert to get first to transition out of a help desk role to sys admin, mcsa/mcse server or rhcsa/rhce? I plan to get both of them tho but just want a recommendation

Depends on your ultimate goal. Do you want to go into Devops/Site Reliability Engineer, Cyber security, or Systems Engineering?

Do a search on job boards for RHCSA and MCSA and see what is in demand near you.

I have my Network+ CE and Security+ CE. Trying to decide if im going into networking or cybersecurity. I currently work for the DOD. Ive been in IT for about 3 years now. In IT i think it depends on if you want to be really technical or passively technical.

What is your current position?

I would create a resume for both types of jobs and shoot my shot.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Depends on your ultimate goal. Do you want to go into Devops/Site Reliability Engineer, Cyber security, or Systems Engineering?

Do a search on job boards for RHCSA and MCSA and see what is in demand near you.

Im trying to get into the infosec field.

And thanks imma put both in the indeed search and see what's good.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Im trying to get into the infosec field.

And thanks imma put both in the indeed search and see what's good.

Real shyt I wish I would have done a Linux cert instead of Sec+. You may be able to finesse your way directly into a cybersec role from help desk so just focus on getting the first one. Thats what I just did.

Honestly, your resume is more important than the cert. The cert just teaches you how to 'learn a new skill' which is the most valuable skill in this field.

After you get the first cert, get your OSCP, if you bout dat life :sas2:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Real shyt I wish I would have done a Linux cert instead of Sec+. You may be able to finesse your way directly into a cybersec role from help desk so just focus on getting the first one. Thats what I just did.

Honestly, your resume is more important than the cert. The cert just teaches you how to 'learn a new skill' which is the most valuable skill in this field.

After you get the first cert, get your OSCP, if you bout dat life :sas2:

Just got my a+ earlier this year. a single result came up when i search rhcsa, i got plenty results for msce tho

a OSCP already :patrice:. Ill include a book on it in my next book haul:ehh:.

Plan on getting a book for MCSE server, SCCM, Exchange, rhcsa/rhce very soon

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Just got my a+ earlier this year. a single result came up when i search rhcsa, i got plenty results for msce tho

a OSCP already :patrice:. Ill include a book on it in my next book haul:ehh:.

Plan on getting a book for MCSE server, SCCM, Exchange, rhcsa/rhce very soon

You may have to just search for 'Linux' or the specific job title. That will give you a more accurate number of the positions available.