IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
I'm looking into going BACK to school for Information Systems or Comp Sci, not sure which yet (leaning towards CIS). Already got a Bachelors so I should be able to just do major specific classes and get the degree in 2-3 yrs...
But to be honest all this terminology in this thread has me like :picard:

I've always been interested in programming/design and cyber threat, but before committing to this path I gotta make sure this field is right for me. I like working with computers, creating things, and doing analysis but tbh this shyt kinda intimidating

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My job's got me doing cable management for the office. And not just conference rooms, I'm talking about the cables under everyone's desk. I don't know how people want their cables organized. Why do I have to do this because everyone else is messy?

I feel lost career-wise.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Got any good resources discussing the different career paths?
I don't have any off hand, but I'll tell you what I've come to understand.

If you go the Computer Science route you'll generally be writing software. You'll learn a language or two like C/C++, Java, Python, and the fundamentals of how we do what we do. Binary/octal/hex number systems, Boolean logic, writing and analysing algorithms, working with data structures. It's a math intensive field so be prepared for that. Careers start of as a programmer/developer/software engineer. They're generally the same thing but I personally prefer the engineer title. From then there's senior dev positions, project leadership, software architects, and middle management type of things.

Computer Information Systems is more business oriented, at least at my school. You'll take some business classes and maybe a couple of programming classes, but nothing too intense. You (should) learn the MS Office suite, networking, database administration, and some security - basically what the 6 cert brehs are learning when they're trying to get certs. Careers range from help desk to network admin to database admin to security, stuff that helps a business be a business.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
My job's got me doing cable management for the office. And not just conference rooms, I'm talking about the cables under everyone's desk. I don't know how people want their cables organized. Why do I have to do this because everyone else is messy?

I feel lost career-wise.

How long are you into your career? If you are on the tech side of things, sometimes there is shyt you gotta do that sucks...

For me, looking at RHEL, right now I manage a spacewalk server with 30-40 clients on top of the hybrid Windows cluster I manage...

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Becoming an immigration consultant consultant going back to school for at least a year :francis:

I'VE already done 4 years man i need a good year off

Unless someone got tips on how to bypass school :troll:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Becoming an immigration consultant consultant going back to school for at least a year :francis:

I'VE already done 4 years man i need a good year off

Unless someone got tips on how to bypass school :troll:
Get Certified :dahell:

I literally got started in IT with nothing but call center experience(greatly exaggerated:lolbron:) and my A+

Yall better learn how to

full

On them cover letters, resumes, & interviews

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm looking into going BACK to school for Information Systems or Comp Sci, not sure which yet (leaning towards CIS). Already got a Bachelors so I should be able to just do major specific classes and get the degree in 2-3 yrs...
But to be honest all this terminology in this thread has me like :picard:

I've always been interested in programming/design and cyber threat, but before committing to this path I gotta make sure this field is right for me. I like working with computers, creating things, and doing analysis but tbh this shyt kinda intimidating

why not get a masters?

2 bachelors seems like a waste of time.

Mr Rager

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
why not get a masters?

I already have one in criminal justice, my job paid for me to do grad school part time. Turns out the field isn't what i thought it was, very little opportunity or mobility unless you wanna be a police chief :francis:

It just seems like a bachelors is the most solid way to get the foundation and credentials necessary to break into this field. And i think i can leverage the CJ masters into a good cyber security or forensics gig with the right training/experience

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
why not get a masters?

You make a good point, I didn't think to push him in that direction. But for CS they'll probably have him take some of the fundamental undergrad courses before he can take the graduate courses. A dude at my school was in the MS program but taking the undergrad algorithms course, FSM/Automata course, and OS course. Those courses typically require prior knowledge of data structures like linked lists, heaps, trees, etc., so a newcomer might have a tough go at it. I couldn't say what he'd need to know for a M.S., CIS, but probably a solid background with networks, databases, and security.

Either way though he'd have better paths open; Amazon is doing some pretty extensive hiring looking for people with Machine Learning and NLP knowledge. VMWare and Cisco are hiring a lot of security engineers.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I already have one in criminal justice, my job paid for me to do grad school part time. Turns out the field isn't what i thought it was, very little opportunity or mobility unless you wanna be a police chief :francis:

I`m saying get a technical masters opposed to another bachelors. You could probably get into Security or something Forensics related if you pair a CJ bachelors and a STEM Masters.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You make a good point, I didn't think to push him in that direction. But for CS they'll probably have him take some of the fundamental undergrad courses before he can take the graduate courses. A dude at my school was in the MS program but taking the undergrad algorithms course, FSM/Automata course, and OS course. Those courses typically require prior knowledge of data structures like linked lists, heaps, trees, etc., so a newcomer might have a tough go at it. I couldn't say what he'd need to know for a M.S., CIS, but probably a solid background with networks, databases, and security.

Either way though he'd have better paths open; Amazon is doing some pretty extensive hiring looking for people with Machine Learning and NLP knowledge. VMWare and Cisco are hiring a lot of security engineers.

He would take the base levels regardless, the masters would provide him with better knowledge of how to apply the basic concepts and paired with his original background he could transition into a mid level analyst type role.

Mr Rager

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
I`m saying get a technical masters opposed to another bachelors. You could probably get into Security or something Forensics related if you pair a CJ bachelors and a STEM Masters.

:ohhh:
Honestly i never thought about that. I'll look into this option more, but again I need to have the fundamentals down before jumping into grad work...I wasn't aware you could take undergrad courses at the Master's level...this is worth looking into.

Mr Rager

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
He would take the base levels regardless, the masters would provide him with better knowledge of how to apply the basic concepts and paired with his original background he could transition into a mid level analyst type role.

Breh that's exactly what I'm trying to do, good look

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:ohhh:
Honestly i never thought about that. I'll look into this option more, but again I need to have the fundamentals down before jumping into grad work...I wasn't aware you could take undergrad courses at the Master's level...this is worth looking into.

Lottta people who get masters are changing carrer fields so they all offer fundamental courses for people whos undergrad degrees arent related.

A undergrad teaches you concepts a masters shows you how to apply the concepts, thats why masters degrees usually knock off 2-3 yrs of experience when you look at most job requirements.