IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Spin

All Star
Daps
Been studying for my sec+ the past couple of weeks. Why does this shyt seem easier than the A+ brehs?

:dwillhuh:

Because the A+ is all over the place and the Security + is more focused. That said Security + will look better if you're trying to to move into Info Sec.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Brehs - Palo Alto's ACE certification is free. :ohhh:

The test covers their NGFW.

Adding 'Palo Alto' and 'NGFW' to your resume will def. get you more looks. No matter what silo ur in on the ops side.

My problem is time management. I already have a lot on deck. Ahh well. I'll figure it out.

Let's eat :eat:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Can anybody hook me up with a good VCA6 dump? Doing it for this class i'm taking and the teacher doesn't know a damn thing :snoop:

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
Can I do this on my own time and is this mainly developer focused?
The courses are 7 weeks, they do have quite a few developer focused courses but they have something for all facets. On the two courses I've enrolled on in the past (M101P and M102) you are given homework once a week. The homework isn't too bad, you just have to remain focused or you'll fall behind.

They have multiple sessions during the year so if you're having trouble keeping up you can enroll for the the next session. It's definitely something I'd recommend for those interested in Big Data.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The courses are 7 weeks, they do have quite a few developer focused courses but they have something for all facets. On the two courses I've enrolled on in the past (M101P and M102) you are given homework once a week. The homework isn't too bad, you just have to remain focused or you'll fall behind.

They have multiple sessions during the year so if you're having trouble keeping up you can enroll for the the next session. It's definitely something I'd recommend for those interested in Big Data.

So you can look at the material on your own time its just the homework has due dates right?

And it seems all you need is one course to be able to get the certification?

Im thinking about doing the DBA course then getting the Dba Cert at the end.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

How was M102? Thats the one I`m gonna take then try and get the cert at completion.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I've been at my helpdesk job for 3+ months now. Would it look bad if I start applying to different jobs already? I don't mind the job it's just that my schedule is trash and they basically lied during the interview. They told me I'd only be on the phone for 40% of the day but in reality I'm answering phones 100% of my 8 hour shift and I literally do not leave my desk. I feel like I'm working at a call center and I'm not learning anything. I don't know how many more times I can just reset someones password, reboot their computer, or flush the dns before I just jump off the top of the parking garage.
:mjcry: I gotta get outta here. They also said there's plenty of opportunity to move up but there's only been one position opening since I've been here. I was considered for it but they ended up giving it to someone who has been there longer than me which was understandable.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
How was M102? Thats the one I`m gonna take then try and get the cert at completion.
It wasn't too bad, prior to enrolling I wasn't too familiar with JSON so there was a bit of a learning curve with that but nothing too ridiculous. There are forums where you can communicate with other students enrolled on the course. :mjgrin:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I've been at my helpdesk job for 3+ months now. Would it look bad if I start applying to different jobs already? I don't mind the job it's just that my schedule is trash and they basically lied during the interview. They told me I'd only be on the phone for 40% of the day but in reality I'm answering phones 100% of my 8 hour shift and I literally do not leave my desk. I feel like I'm working at a call center and I'm not learning anything. I don't know how many more times I can just reset someones password, reboot their computer, or flush the dns before I just jump off the top of the parking garage.
:mjcry: I gotta get outta here. They also said there's plenty of opportunity to move up but there's only been one position opening since I've been here. I was considered for it but they ended up giving it to someone who has been there longer than me which was understandable.

I would hold out for 6 months at least. Future employers will press you about it.

Do you have any mid-level certs? If not, focus on that for the next few months.

I was at my last gig for 16 months so I know the struggle. Just change your perspective. Remember that you are blessed to be in this position. That helped me handle it. Its a lot of ppl still trying to break into the field.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I would hold out for 6 months at least. Future employers will press you about it.

Do you have any mid-level certs? If not, focus on that for the next few months.

I was at my last gig for 16 months so I know the struggle. Just change your perspective. Remember that you are blessed to be in this position. That helped me handle it. Its a lot of ppl still trying to break into the field.

Gonna sign up for my Sec+ in a couple weeks. I guess I'll stick it out till august at least.

Spin

All Star
Daps

Put your resume out there, but get some certs. You already did the hardest thing which is getting the first job. Start attending tech meetups and meeting people at companies. If they like you, they will overlook the fact you only been at your current job for a short time.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Honestly, if you don't need the money I would get out and spend that time just learning new skills, platforms, etc and putting that on your resume. If you have the help desk position down pat, you can just fib the dates from when you started. Nobody will check.