IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Well the thing for me is that I don't mind working for someone else while I put the money generated from that into asset classes that generate money on their own. Going the independent route still means you have to put a lot of time in to get paid, even if you're your own boss. I heard it put well in a book I read; owning a small business means you own a job - if you stop working you stop making money. So I guess to answer your question, nah freelancing isn't for me.

This has been my thought process these last few months.

You almost always have some extra money at the end of the month or through savings, so why not invest in something and just rip the dividends ?

Now it's up to what you put your money on
yeshrug.png

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
I'm just about to leave after a year and some change, keep the faith :lawd:

If your current help desk gig aint giving you an avenue to work in something better...get the fukk out and find something that will at least let you *work* on something besides rote tier 1 call taking.

I understand paying your dues and getting experience, but how long should a breh stay at an entry level help desk gig before trying to jump into security or something higher paying?

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I understand paying your dues and getting experience, but how long should a breh stay at an entry level help desk gig before trying to jump into security or something higher paying?

Real shyt... at least a year. maybe even 2-3 years depending on your work ethic. It makes more sense for newbies to shoot for positions at NOCs or junior sysadmin type jobs after cutting it up on the desk:yeshrug:

I'm about to make the transition into Security and if you actually want to make it there, it is a relatively advanced discipline. People usually make the transition after a couple years in network engineering, sysadmin, etc. It requires a very good understanding of systems (windows, linux, and even Mac along with mobile equivalents), networking, and software engineering. If you aren't willing to come home from a shytty day and spend a couple hours practicing scripting, learning Linux architecture, hacking vulns, learning how to read a pcap don't bother. That is putting aside boring rote learning re PCI, SOX, NIST etc compliance and all that other red tape. This field is saturated with people looking to make a quick buck or who think it's glamorous without any genuine passion for the work. And yes that applies even to people who are going to work semi entry level SOC analyst jobs.

@Ice_MF_Mike could probably tell you better

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It's frustrating how tough it is to get that far though. I'm quickly losing hope of starting with a decent company.

I worked in sales for a yr when i graduated, i mainly did it because it paid waaaaaay more than an entry level IT gig but i knew i didnt want to get stuck since inhad a garbage manager and transitioned into a gig related to my degree. That said looking for a job on avg takes 3-6 months if you have experience and can take a yr plus if you dont.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
This field is so hard to break in through. So many interviews for entry level and nada.
Going through the same even with experience all I get is nada, the most recent response I got was this
We appreciate the time you took to apply and we were excited to receive your materials.

We have finalized our selection process and reviewed your application. Though your qualifications are impressive, the selection process was highly competitive and we have decided to move forward with a candidate whose qualifications better meet our needs at this time.

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I worked in sales for a yr when i graduated, i mainly did it because it paid waaaaaay more than an entry level IT gig but i knew i didnt want to get stuck since inhad a garbage manager and transitioned into a gig related to my degree. That said looking for a job on avg takes 3-6 months if you have experience and can take a yr plus if you dont.
This part is what makes me think that somebody on the employer side is lying big time. They say there's an overabundance of jobs out there, which somewhat seems to be the case, but then they want to say they're having a hard time finding people who are qualified. They have the nerve to ask for 3+ years of professional experience for a fukking entry level position. What kind of shyt are they trying to pull?

I basically spent the weekend applying to SDE 1 and 2 positions. I can understand not being selected for the SDE 2 spots, but if the description for SDE 1 is looking for 0-1 year of experience, and I have a fairly solid portfolio, I should be getting called up. It seems really counterintuitive to me that hiring managers are spending less than 10 seconds per resume if they're truly trying to find someone who has the right experience.

I'll just be bitter until I can land an interview :yeshrug:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Once you get your first gig you are good though
Yeah but time and money is all but ran out. A 4 year degree, 25k down the hole and nothing to show for it.

Going through the same even with experience all I get is nada, the most recent response I got was this
At least you get a response. They don't even bother hitting me up with the rejection letters.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This part is what makes me think that somebody on the employer side is lying big time. They say there's an overabundance of jobs out there, which somewhat seems to be the case, but then they want to say they're having a hard time finding people who are qualified. They have the nerve to ask for 3+ years of professional experience for a fukking entry level position. What kind of shyt are they trying to pull?

I basically spent the weekend applying to SDE 1 and 2 positions. I can understand not being selected for the SDE 2 spots, but if the description for SDE 1 is looking for 0-1 year of experience, and I have a fairly solid portfolio, I should be getting called up. It seems really counterintuitive to me that hiring managers are spending less than 10 seconds per resume if they're truly trying to find someone who has the right experience.

I'll just be bitter until I can land an interview :yeshrug:

Man there aint no damn jobs lol. Most the johs college kids would be doing get outsourced or automated nowadays, thats just the sad truth.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
I got an interview with an Active Directory Help Desk role soon and havent messed with AD in a year...what can I expect in the interview brehs :damn:.

Gonna have to hope I can find my old hard drive and look over old school work as well.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I got an interview with an Active Directory Help Desk role soon and havent messed with AD in a year...what can I expect in the interview brehs :damn:.

Gonna have to hope I can find my old hard drive and look over old school work as well.

1. Know your resume.
2. Study what they list in the job description.

If you need a quick overview of AD then look at Eli the computer guys' videos on AD. You should also get Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Sybex. You can find a .pdf on google. Read that until the interview and drop some terms that you learned from the book. That will impress them. You can also tell them you're studying for the MCSA to prove that you're a self starter. Ask them at least 3 questions at the end of the interview.

Look up the STAR interview method. That will help with the behavioral portion of the interview.

Always exude confidence.

Last edited: