IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
in my opinion...The job market is not good, not even in tech. I work in SEO/SEM/etc. so I work closely with yall front end/back end web devs and shyt as well as IT and Data Scientists. There is QUANTITY but ZERO QUALITY. FINTECH COs in particular are fukking bullshyt do not try to work for a FinTech company unless it's an incubator within a larger company - I don't care who invested in them it is a White boy Fraternity club. Don't care what the statistics say they don't apply to us as Black Men. I FINALLY just got a decent position after searching just under 6 months (prior to that I was laid off) receiving unemployment bennies and have had at least 20+ interviews (lost count after that honestly) where I met or slightly exceeded the paper requirements.

But due to stupid reasons (mostly kool-aid) in 90% of circumstances THEY ACTUALLY NEVER HIRED ANYONE FOR THE JOB IN MANY CASES. THERE HAVE BEEN POSITIONS OPEN MORE THAN ONE YEAR!!!!! SOME EVEN TWO YEARS!!!!!...

Yall worried about "Fake News" well the next thing is gonna be "Fake jobs":

NYS Unemployment you need to keep electronic records and I want to inquire with them that they need to investigate ALL of these companies I interviewed with. They need to bring these people up on charges for either advertising jobs that don't really exist (they don't need it just fishing for expert advice) or some other sort of labor law technicality including but not limited to WASTING BLACK APPLICANTS TIME WITH MULTIPLE INTERVIEWS (AND ASSESMENTS/EXERCISES IN SOME CASES) WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO HIRE A nikka. Granted in retrospect I wouldn't want to work for someone who is hesitant to hire me - But the fact remains is there was no better candidate, I was the best candidate in MANY circumstances and they just flat out dropped the ball, made excuses and tried to string me along. I eventually became vicious and started cutting companies off after about 2 weeks if they couldn't decide - Especially for small nimble start-ups who supposedly have "NO RED TAPE" and get shyt done quick. I began giving them deadlines. The reality may very well have been I was smarter than the hiring manager and they just couldn't stomach it. But when has being the smartest negro in the room stopped Black Men from being hired or promoted. As long as I'm not acting braggadocious you shouldn't feel threatened. But it's impossible to make Whites feel comfortable a lot of times. The job I just got hired at my Boss is White and his Boss is Black. They don't seem to have any issues. I interviewed with them both.

There is A LOT of bullshyt out there in general especially for Black folk in tech. And to be honest just because HR is Black it won't help you actually sometimes it hurts you. At least 5 of the companies one of the HR people were Black. Those companies got back to me with the immediate automated rejection e-mail 24 hours after the interview after having me do all these stupid assessments/skill tests and what not. What is funny is there are a lot of GOOD PEOPLE working for BAD CORPORATE CULTURES. This one White girl added me on LinkedIN we really vibed during the interview professionally and if I was single I would mos def try to smash. But that is neither here nor there.

On the whole though the start-up scene is bullshyt a lot of White boys are having problems too.

I chose this name also because HARD TIMES are ahead for most of us I am going to do the MOST to keep this gig no matter what pay down all debt, beef up my experience to the 10 year mark with wider responsibility set then BOUNCE to another country because USA is sinking and Trump ain't even the cause!!!! It's the culture that brought him into the forum in the first place we should be looking at. America can't be run like a damn company because MOST AMERICAN COMPANIES ARE DYSFUNCTIONAL AND FULL OF shyt!

1m8up3.jpg

What advice do you have someone who wants to go to graduate school in order to enter the tech field (no experience/ career change). I been thinking of being a developer, what industry do you think is feasible. Is race even a big deal in the tech field. Are you in the Silicon Valley because the social dynamics may be different there.....

Daps
What advice do you have someone who wants to go to graduate school in order to enter the tech field (no experience/ career change). I been thinking of being a developer, what industry do you think is feasible. Is race even a big deal in the tech field. Are you in the Silicon Valley because the social dynamics may be different there.....

Think very carefully before you spend time and/or money for a grad degree. I'm in NYC but the racism in tech is all over.

What area do you reside in and what's your current industry?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Think very carefully before you spend time and/or money for a grad degree. I'm in NYC but the racism in tech is all over.

Grad school isnt a biggie if he has an unrelated bachelors and it opens the door for for legit internships and qualifying to get into new grad development programs that many companies have.

That said i would not go back to school and invest money if you dont know exactly what you want to do.

Daps
Reppin
MD

Come to DC, I yet to faced any issues with racism in the job industry, probably because of the high concentration white collar black folks here.

Daps

Silicon Valley, biotech. Pay is okay but then work environment (from what I've heard) in tech seems more in tune with my personality and attitude

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
@bdizzle Do you know of any good sites to reach customers directly who need computer related issues resolved?

Craigslist is a crapshoot
Thumbtack is kinda iffy cause you gotta pay to even reply to a posting.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Has anyone obtained or is attempting to get an AWS cert?

I have decided to go for the aws solutions architect associate cert because I feel it can round me out more than just having these networking certs.

None of it is even complicated its really just memorizing a bunch of shyt so far

Going for it now breh...what have you been using to study?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Going for it now breh...what have you been using to study?

acloud.guru

I bought the class off of udemy for $10 (sale is going on right now by the way). You can show cloud gurus the receipt and you can use their site (which i think adds some practice tests and has a better interface to me)

I'll prob use this class and the actual amazon white papers to take the test

Last edited:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
acloud.guru

I bought the class off of udemy for $10 (sale is going on right now by the way). You can show cloud gurus the receipt and you can use their site (which i think adds some practice tests and has a better interface to me)

I'll prob use this class and the actual amazon white papers to take the test

Doing the same..went through the vids once already and im going through them again now. ...its not even hard it really is just knowing what service does what and when to use it.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps

If you just want to get a job then you don't have to go to Grad School. A cheaper alternative would be a bootcamp. You can use a free bootcamp like Freecodecamp. If you prefer videos you can use Treehouse or Udemy. If you can afford it; you should consider a Nanodegree from Udacity. They will refund 100% of your tuition if you don't get hired within 6 months of completing the program.