IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@CashmereEsquire @730BlackMage
Fluid UI - The Easier Web, Desktop and Mobile Prototyping Tool and Proto.io - Prototypes that feel real

From the assignment he gave it it looks like we have to do UI prototyping, so I'll pick one and tell you what I think within the next week or two.

If you are a student you should download Axure for the hell of it since it is an industry standard tool. Even if you dont use it for this project download it since its free for students and you can have it on deck for later on.

I never heard of the two you posted.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
@CashmereEsquire @730BlackMage
Fluid UI - The Easier Web, Desktop and Mobile Prototyping Tool and Proto.io - Prototypes that feel real

From the assignment he gave it it looks like we have to do UI prototyping, so I'll pick one and tell you what I think within the next week or two.
Didn't realize it was for a class. Thats perfect then if they got you going through all the pieces of the project. I think it'll give you a good understanding of the whole project. I actually never got to work on any applications with UIs while in college. everything we made was command line.

Daps
Is it possible to combine careers in finance and computer science? Also for people who can't climb the social ladder, is there a bridge in the STEM field to find the success they seek?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Is it possible to combine careers in finance and computer science? Also for people who can't climb the social ladder, is there a bridge in the STEM field to find the success they seek?
Pretty sure Excel, Access, and other Databases combine the two

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Oh yea, Business Intelligence/Data Science is the field I currently work in. It definitely allows technical people to get a better understanding of the business, and the business a better understanding of their data.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Oh yea, Business Intelligence/Data Science is the field I currently work in. It definitely allows technical people to get a better understanding of the business, and the business a better understanding of their data.

Its interesting stuff but id be bored as hell being on that side completely

Daps
What's the work environment like. Do have to stay on your social p's and q's? Or since it's a more technical, your work>>>> social cliques, workplace microagressions.....

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Talked to a recruiter for Magento this morning. I don't think it's the right fit at all for me but I was curious given it was a cloud operations role.

She asked me in the phone call "I see you are at xxxx. Why are you considering leaving there?"

I'm thinking to myself...You're the one who contacted me :gucci: I'll definitely entertain something if it sounds interesting.

Oh I've been playing with Docker more on my Raspberry Pi's.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What's the work environment like. Do have to stay on your social p's and q's? Or since it's a more technical, your work>>>> social cliques, workplace microagressions.....
It depends on who you're working for. I worked at one financial institution, and worked with people who had no idea what they were doing, but they knew how to not take responsibility for stuff. I've also worked at a couple of places where they let you do your thing. In all cases you wind up being a consultant of sorts (internal or external) to whatever business team you're working with. You work with them from a technical side, but you also have to be able to communicate with them and understand their actual requirements. Not just what they say, but actually figuring out what they are looking for.

I like it, because I like learning how things work, and you pretty much get the chance to ask all the questions about how their business works, or at least how they think it works. Then the data will reveal something, either supporting, contradicting, or completely opposing the initial thought.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sales and or Solution engineering is sales related. Solition architects are pretty much the highest level developers, admins, business analyst design solutions that others will actually code or build. The step above solution architect is enterprise architect where you design company architecture

I have "architect" as my job title and it's realitive to your company. I was fortunate enough to accept a position as architect but it is involved in the entire SDLC and engineering of the data center. Ordering, procuring based on system requirements. Then full support of the product/ software system

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Going to a CISSP bootcamp next month and taking the exam as well. Pray for me brehs/brehettes :lupe:

Think I am ready to take it too. Heck, I got this one last domain to study. After that, I am just going to review and take it. My next goal will be the AWS Certs. I work in Network Engineering.

Daps
Think I am ready to take it too. Heck, I got this one last domain to study. After that, I am just going to review and take it. My next goal will be the AWS Certs. I work in Network Engineering.

Its not that bad. Remember the questions are meant to be answered from a management perspective. And as long as you understand that and the domains, the test itself isnt that hard. It is long so if your not a test taker make sure you do a few goes with practice exams.

Good luck.