IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I did skillsport through my job..
I did Shonn Harris's question
Also went through the sybex app and book
I am now using cccure, I feel like I can get the 70 percent but at the same time I don't feel like I know everything there is to know.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Think I'm going to try and be my own Independent IT contractor this spring/summer. Recruiters out here making a killing based on others, I'm going to cut straight through them mofos and setup my own shyt. Could easily pull in like $50-$100 doing simple shyt like setting up routers, cleaning viruses, fixing errors:jbhmm:

And it's all untaxable

tenor.gif

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Didn't realize it was for a class. Thats perfect then if they got you going through all the pieces of the project. I think it'll give you a good understanding of the whole project. I actually never got to work on any applications with UIs while in college. everything we made was command line.
Yeah the vast majority of the stuff we've done has been command line. It's a shame too because you can't build that good of a portfolio if you aren't building applications with a UI.

I just put about 30-45 minutes into toying around with Fluid UI. If you don't allow cookies in your browser it'll probably give you issues. I tend to do a lot of my stuff in a private tab and it wouldn't let me sign up in that tab. I re-downloaded Chrome (per their suggestion) and confirmed that it requires cookies to function. Overall it's not that bad. Obviously a free tier of a program is going to be pretty limiting. I built the basic wireframe of an Android UI but you definitely have to use your imagination to see the finished product. They allow you to clone views but that didn't seem to work for me. It would essentially crash when I went to edit the cloned view, so I've had to do double and triple the work for some views. You can link your UI elements to other views so you can simulate navigating through the app. For a one man army type of deal it'll get the job done. Much better than trying to come up with a UI on the fly like I've done before. If you're going to have a lot of different views in your app then prepare yourself, you have a lot of work a head of you if you plan on wireframing each and every one.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
It depends on who you're working for. I worked at one financial institution, and worked with people who had no idea what they were doing, but they knew how to not take responsibility for stuff. I've also worked at a couple of places where they let you do your thing. In all cases you wind up being a consultant of sorts (internal or external) to whatever business team you're working with. You work with them from a technical side, but you also have to be able to communicate with them and understand their actual requirements. Not just what they say, but actually figuring out what they are looking for.

I like it, because I like learning how things work, and you pretty much get the chance to ask all the questions about how their business works, or at least how they think it works. Then the data will reveal something, either supporting, contradicting, or completely opposing the initial thought.
Do you do a lot of research and reporting? I'm a Market Research Analyst and deal with a lot of Business Intelligence. I kinda want to get out of the research part into the more technical part.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Do you do a lot of research and reporting? I'm a Market Research Analyst and deal with a lot of Business Intelligence. I kinda want to get out of the research part into the more technical part.
Sometimes my team does the reporting, but not so much the research. We may create some reports, views, or dashboards. We use a tool called Qlikview, so we are able to create pretty much the views they need, and the business users are able to actually explore the data themselves.

I can see someone with my technical skills doing research, but that role would be more focused on a departmental/business area. My role is more general, working with the actually BI department which oversees data (more so what data exists, rather than the admin role of a DBA) and reporting for the company as a whole.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Sometimes my team does the reporting, but not so much the research. We may create some reports, views, or dashboards. We use a tool called Qlikview, so we are able to create pretty much the views they need, and the business users are able to actually explore the data themselves.

I can see someone with my technical skills doing research, but that role would be more focused on a departmental/business area. My role is more general, working with the actually BI department which oversees data (more so what data exists, rather than the admin role of a DBA) and reporting for the company as a whole.

They are actually implementing Qlik in my company now, I want to say we used SSRS before.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Has anyone obtained or is attempting to get an AWS cert?

I have decided to go for the aws solutions architect associate cert because I feel it can round me out more than just having these networking certs.

None of it is even complicated its really just memorizing a bunch of shyt so far

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Has anyone obtained or is attempting to get an AWS cert?

I have decided to go for the aws solutions architect associate cert because I feel it can round me out more than just having these networking certs.

None of it is even complicated its really just memorizing a bunch of shyt so far

Is it mainly around implementing security around who can access what in an aws account as well as the different services the offer?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Is it mainly around implementing security around who can access what in an aws account as well as the different services the offer?

They have a secuirty section (Security groups - basically a virtual firewall, ACLS, account access). But you have to know how to create instances (VMs) securing them, types of volumes you can use. Creating user accounts for the AWS console.

There is a networking section (VPC - Virtual Private Cloud). So you have to know a bit of networking as well.

It may seem like a lot but the good thing is you can do all this for free and learning hands on makes this ten times better

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
They have a secuirty section (Security groups - basically a virtual firewall, ACLS, account access). But you have to know how to create instances (VMs) securing them, types of volumes you can use. Creating user accounts for the AWS console.

There is a networking section (VPC - Virtual Private Cloud). So you have to know a bit of networking as well.

It may seem like a lot but the good thing is you can do all this for free and learning hands on makes this ten times better
Cool

I agree. Aws makes it so easy to experiment with stuff for free or the low. Had a chance to mess around with a linux OS for the first time

Alaafin

#TeamLawrence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Vine City
Not sure if this is thread or the dev one is better for this question..
I'm going to try and re-learn Java to go towards big data/hadoop. Is A+ or any of the certs worth it for this field? (I was going to study for A+ then ccnet) Or should I just ignore those? I don't have any work experience in IT or development

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'm going to try and re-learn Java to go towards big data/hadoop. Is A+ or any of the certs worth it for this field? (I was going to study for A+ then ccnet) Or should I just ignore those? I don't have any work experience in IT or development
Certifications help, but anybody hiring wants to know if you can do the work and problem solve. I'd focus more on project work. I've never studied for a programming cert, though, so i dunno what valuable information you'd get from studying for one

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Dont waste your time on infrastructure certs, they have nothing to do with development.

At the most a security cert could help down the line but really isnt needed.

Daps

Certs are only worth it if the jobs you want are asking for them. Otherwise its only worth is just the content you would be learning. So if its just for the content your time is better spent getting hands on experience. So do the jobs you want ask for an A+? if so then get it. If they dont, then ignore.