IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Is it just lecture only? Is the teacher boring?
Supposed to be a course on Virtualization but this nikka hasn't started doing shyt yet :snoop:

He's been creating basic login accounts the whole 4 hours last class and so far 1.5 hours tonight.

In my other classes we normally knock out our shyt and leave but this dude tripping :snoop:

Frieza

Supervillain
Daps
Reppin
The Bush
Cause of the hoes :dahell:

But I also wanted to go back to have it on my resume in addition to my CISSP abd get actual hands on experience in security

:ohhh:What certification road did you take, CCNA:sec > CCNP:sec >CISSP? What's your current job title or previous if you're just focusing on school rn?

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
Welp. Just left my fulltime job as a network "security" admin at a hosting company to be a contracted F5 engineer for a major bank (3 year contract).

Finally hit 100,000...but made me realize I want to run my own biz.

Anyway i started in IT 3 years ago after getting my CCNA and Net+. Got my F5 201 in March of 2016.

Even tho I working on my own biz ( not in IT) I'm currently studying Python, automation, and AWS because I have kids and need guaranteed $ for them and like being able to self finance my own business ventures.

My advice to everyone is study smarter not harder, NETWORK!!! ITS WHO YOU KNOW!!!, and always try your best to learn what's NEXT. Tech moves to fast to get comfortable.

Frieza

Supervillain
Daps
Reppin
The Bush
Welp. Just left my fulltime job as a network "security" admin at a hosting company to be a contracted F5 engineer for a major bank (3 year contract).

Finally hit 100,000...but made me realize I want to run my own biz.

Anyway i started in IT 3 years ago after getting my CCNA and Net+. Got my F5 201 in March of 2016.

Even tho I working on my own biz ( not in IT) I'm currently studying Python, automation, and AWS because I have kids and need guaranteed $ for them and like being able to self finance my own business ventures.

My advice to everyone is study smarter not harder, NETWORK!!! ITS WHO YOU KNOW!!!, and always try your best to learn what's NEXT. Tech moves to fast to get comfortable.

I only have a superficial understanding of the networking field but would you say networking as a whole is on the decline with rising SDN?

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
I only have a superficial understanding of the networking field but would you say networking as a whole is on the decline with rising SDN?

Pretty much. The small - meduium business most def no longer require their own infrastructure, depending on their business. Automation of network hardware is already here. Knowing the fundamentals of networking is great but paring that with knowing programming/automation is security for the future.

For now tho just cert up and get the $$$ but if you really want to make it a long term career, get a language under your belt for sure.

Frieza

Supervillain
Daps
Reppin
The Bush
Pretty much. The small - meduium business most def no longer require their own infrastructure, depending on their business. Automation of network hardware is already here. Knowing the fundamentals of networking is great but paring that with knowing programming/automation is security for the future.

For now tho just cert up and get the $$$ but if you really want to make it a long term career, get a language under your belt for sure.

Programming is not really for me. I might give it a go again just for the sake of it but it's 100% not something I can see myself working for decades (which doesn't seem to be the norm anyway). Only reason I'm opting for networking is because I have some interest in it and it has a clear progressive path. I'm not particularly fussed about very long term careers, just something that makes decent money for the coming 7-9 years. I've got pretty unorthodox plans for the future that I hope to put in motion anyway. Only reason I've got doubts is because I don't want to invest a year or so in a foundation and gaining non-transferable/obsolete skills. But fukk it, sometimes I guess you just gotta take a chance on things.

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
Programming is not really for me. I might give it a go again just for the sake of it but it's 100% not something I can see myself working for decades (which doesn't seem to be the norm anyway). Only reason I'm opting for networking is because I have some interest in it and it has a clear progressive path. I'm not particularly fussed about very long term careers, just something that makes decent money for the coming 7-9 years. I've got pretty unorthodox plans for the future that I hope to put in motion anyway. Only reason I've got doubts is because I don't want to invest a year or so in a foundation and gaining non-transferable/obsolete skills. But fukk it, sometimes I guess you just gotta take a chance on things.

I feel you...its a great field to make good/great money in a relatively fast time frame of you know how to do it. Stack it/ invest it wisely and the sky is the limit