IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I have a cousin who is majoring in computer science would it be wise for him get some certs to be very attractive in the job market?
Encourage him to work on side projects and build a portfolio on Github. As far as certs, I've seen mixeed reviews of whether or not they're necessary.

Daps
Encourage him to work on side projects and build a portfolio on Github. As far as certs, I've seen mixeed reviews of whether or not they're necessary.
If the job you want asks for certs, then they will give you a big advantage. It not, then not necessary.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
If the job you want asks for certs, then they will give you a big advantage. It not, then not necessary.
Thing is, I don't recall seeing a coding job asking for certs, so it seems to be an "at your leisure" sort of thing.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Finally got my second portion of my severance pay. Paid in full and frankly more than I anticipated :salute:

Then getting paid by my current employer during the next pay period. :leon:

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
To get started, what should be the initial certs I should obtain for a ENTRY level support and/or networking position.

I went to ITT. shyt got shut down in my first quarter. They had us fukking around with some dated Linux distro, databases, and Python. :snoop:

I don't want to go to school. No time and I run a small business. Which I'm tired of doing...

Certs!!! Help nikkas.:sadbron: