IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
A little less than 2 months if you're dedicated. Go through the Mike Myers book twice and supplement that with Prof Messor's videos and quiz questions. After you have read the book find some practice exams.

Here are some useful sites:

A+ Practical Application
CompTIA A+ Glossary of Terms A - D flashcards | Quizlet
CompTIA A+ Practice Test Questions (Exams 220-701 & 220-702)

Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

Just what I need. Thank you Lord! :blessed:

Daps
To get started, what should be the initial certs I should obtain for a ENTRY level support and/or networking position.

I went to ITT. shyt got shut down in my first quarter. They had us fukking around with some dated Linux distro, databases, and Python. :snoop:

I don't want to go to school. No time and I run a small business. Which I'm tired of doing...

Certs!!! Help nikkas.:sadbron:
:dame:

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Brehs been getting hounded from this Accounting firm for a IT internship that pays 25/hr but the gig is only 6 months with possible chance of fully employment. Is it even worth it to schedule a interview and possibly be late to my current full time gig that i started this week :lupe:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
What are some good books/online resources to look into to get into some certificates? Something I could do over the weekend and have a side gig on the weekends/possibly do some independent contracting?

Also, anyone know anything about SAS statistical analysis and its benefits for job progression?

Can some coli brehs answer this man's question. I have been applying to some jobs that say "must be competent in SAS programming" but they don't say anything about certification. They are talking about basic stuff.

What can I put on my resume that says I am competent in SAS programming with a certification?

Base SAS Certification Training Discount

:childplease: $3000+ and a whole year?

:martin:

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
:snoop: Aight so I'm early into my CCNA studies (learning IOS commands, creating VLAN's and assigning hosts..basic stuff). I'm using Chris Bryant's udemy bootcamp (thorough so far) but I'm ready for labs to try this out myself.

I turned my 10 year old Macbook into a Linux machine a couple of nights ago and it has been a freaking headache ever since..First the wifi didn't work so I had to figure out how to fix that, then i installed gns3 but I'm lookin at that like :merchant: (I'll use it in the future when I become more knowledgeable) so I decided to try to install packet tracer instead and when I tell you this has been hellish! Currently using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS trying to install Packet Tracer 7...I wanna fight the air cause its not installing and I've tried NUMEROUS terminal commands to try. I'll download another copy elsewhere tonight but urrrggghhhh!!!

I have a mac mini as well however, in the last month or so, when connected to a TV (not using a monitor at the moment), the screen blacks out and I have to wait a day or so in order for it to display again other wise I'd just use that since it was more up to date than the MacBook. Apple said it was a fix for the mac mini HDMI port but it did me no good.

I know I gotta get used to command/terminal (it is challenging but rewarding all the same) but DAMN I just wanna get in the lab and move along with my studies, shyt :martin:

*end rant*

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:snoop: Aight so I'm early into my CCNA studies (learning IOS commands, creating VLAN's and assigning hosts..basic stuff). I'm using Chris Bryant's udemy bootcamp (thorough so far) but I'm ready for labs to try this out myself.

I turned my 10 year old Macbook into a Linux machine a couple of nights ago and it has been a freaking headache ever since..First the wifi didn't work so I had to figure out how to fix that, then i installed gns3 but I'm lookin at that like :merchant: (I'll use it in the future when I become more knowledgeable) so I decided to try to install packet tracer instead and when I tell you this has been hellish! Currently using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS trying to install Packet Tracer 7...I wanna fight the air cause its not installing and I've tried NUMEROUS terminal commands to try. I'll download another copy elsewhere tonight but urrrggghhhh!!!

I have a mac mini as well however, in the last month or so, when connected to a TV (not using a monitor at the moment), the screen blacks out and I have to wait a day or so in order for it to display again other wise I'd just use that since it was more up to date than the MacBook. Apple said it was a fix for the mac mini HDMI port but it did me no good.

I know I gotta get used to command/terminal (it is challenging but rewarding all the same) but DAMN I just wanna get in the lab and move along with my studies, shyt :martin:

*end rant*

With learning Terminal I have heard people say use a linux box as your main computer even when you arent studying and do everything from terminal and never use the gui and you pick up much quicker and learn how to be efficient opposed to just remembering commands.

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
With learning Terminal I have heard people say use a linux box as your main computer even when you arent studying and do everything from terminal and never use the gui and you pick up much quicker and learn how to be efficient opposed to just remembering commands.
After just two evenings with Linux...I can agree with this wholeheartedly...Got me thinking how to be as efficient as possible cause man...Just man...Again, its rewarding

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
After just two evenings with Linux...I can agree with this wholeheartedly...Got me thinking how to be as efficient as possible cause man...Just man...Again, its rewarding

When i attempted to study for the RHCSA it was fun learning commands. Once you get that down then you can learn python and get into automatic task.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Brehs been getting hounded from this Accounting firm for a IT internship that pays 25/hr but the gig is only 6 months with possible chance of fully employment. Is it even worth it to schedule a interview and possibly be late to my current full time gig that i started this week :lupe:
How much you currently make?

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps

*end rant*
Breh, spend a little more time with GNS3 and it'll pay off. Once you get the images, you'll be eating good. Trust me...
Right now, I'm running a hybrid rack, with both software (Dynamips, which is GNS3 backend) and hardware (Cisco 3850, 3650, 2960XR, WLC 2504, ASA 5512-x and ASA 5525-x). Once you start to get my into it, you will see what setup will work best for you. Hit me up if you need some assistance.

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
Breh, spend a little more time with GNS3 and it'll pay off. Once you get the images, you'll be eating good. Trust me...
Right now, I'm running a hybrid rack, with both software (Dynamips, which is GNS3 backend) and hardware (Cisco 3850, 3650, 2960XR, WLC 2504, ASA 5512-x and ASA 5525-x). Once you start to get my into it, you will see what setup will work best for you. Hit me up if you need some assistance.
I'll certainly hit you up fam...Finally got packet tracer working...Unfortunately, my wifi isn't working on the laptop so I've been troubleshooting that all day so my studies have taken a backseat...It'll be sometime tomorrow cause frankly I don't know what ANY of those devices you mentioned are (assuming routers and switches)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man my monday class is straight TRASH.

nikka keep us in here all night, and we don't be doing shyt :what: