IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Just a heads up to all my 6 certs 6 figures 6 pawgs trying to gain entry into the field, I been eating off of craiglist:takedat: just search IT Support/Technician /Helpdesk in your local area and feast, as long as your resume is on point & you have some relevant experience, all you gotta do is send out your resume in mass order with no header or nuttin. Just your resume and keep it pushing...IT Recruiters blowing up my email & phone for positions I forgot I even applied 4 :myman:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Many recruiters do not care about degrees at a certain level.

If I could do to again though I would have completed my degree. It can certainly be used against you with certain employers.

I still make a high salary.

Many recruiters also don't care about certs once you hit a certain level. I can tell you having just an associates has limited my options.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Looking to pass the RHCSA by 2018, a few goals I want to hit for my own business. Main Linux guru left and I was co-coordinator for a few of his sites, now management is all out of sorts. I'm a Windows Sys Admin, but I am quite familiar with Linux (enough to run those sites and backups) so I will try to finesse management for a salary re-adjustment. They say no, I will just gain the free cert they pay for and leave them with additional Linux XP....My departure for them would be tumultuous as I was very strong with AD, Project Management, Image Inventory, PBX, Firewall mgmnt, etc. and great with actual human beings.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Lot of yall gotta remember the most important factor too:

Much easier to eat in Houston & Dallas than it was for me in Baton Rouge

Make your resume great & get it up on Dice, Indeed, and if you want Monster/Careerbuilder/Sologig/Ziprecruiter and your email/phone will stay blowing up. :lawd:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Make your resume great & get it up on Dice, Indeed, and if you want Monster/Careerbuilder/Sologig/Ziprecruiter and your email/phone will stay blowing up. :lawd:

Location also ties into competition level. And my advice to young cats getting in is think about the long money and not the instant assuming this is what you actually want to do with your career because many of the people in here more so seem concerned with pay and not actually making a career.

Dudes gotta make sure they take the steps to not hit a ceiling quick because there is money to be made out there but you also have to put in the work.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

That's why I live in Austin Texas now.

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
Oh really? Why one of those places?
One of Cisco's major hubs is in Richardson. It feels like they are trying to move everything up there. Honestly, if I get this CSE role that I'm going for, I might move back to Alabama (either Birmingham or Montgomery). That Grade 12 Salary (80/20) plus commission + Alabama property tax = :noah:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of Cisco's major hubs is in Richardson. It feels like they are trying to move everything up there. Honestly, if I get this CSE role that I'm going for, I might move back to Alabama (either Birmingham or Montgomery). That Grade 12 Salary (80/20) plus commission + Alabama property tax = :noah:

I feel you. Gotta think about the long run. Texas teems to be working good for me, though I miss all the seasons. Alabama though is a beautiful state and Montgomery and Birmingham is great for black folks.

I gotta ride this wave here and see what I can do things here. Stash some of my high salary up and invest better.

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
I feel you. Gotta think about the long run. Texas teems to be working good for me, though I miss all the seasons. Alabama though is a beautiful state and Montgomery and Birmingham is great for black folks.

I gotta ride this wave here and see what I can do things here. Stash some of my high salary up and invest better.
Yeah. I moved to Texas for this job and I have no real regrets. I like the state and the city, but I missed the train when it came to buying a house. Everybody started moving here and property value in Cedar Park went through the roof. Part of me is debating moving out to Georgetown but it's too many old folks out there. :mjpls:

Truth is, you can eat real good down here. I want to stay just for that.

Malik1time

What you looking at?
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I have a cousin who is majoring in computer science would it be wise for him get some certs to be very attractive in the job market?