IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man we are in a globalized economy, anyone saying you dont need a degree at this point is a damn fool. We dont have the luxury that cats who were our ages in the mid 90s and early 2000s had where there was no competition so all you needed was a hs diploma and an a+ cert. yall gotta be careful listening to these old dudes because they have something we dont and thats experience and the world was much different when they got their experience initially. Remember there was a time where if you had a degree you didnt need experienc for an entry level job. Now you have Junior positions asking for advance degrees + 2-3 yrs experience in some cases.

I'm 26. I been making 50-60k a year since I was 24 as a Helpdesk/Desktop tech with only an A+, Network+, and Sec+

Recruiters don't give a fukk about a degree 80% of the time

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm 26. I been making 50-60k a year since I was 24 as a Helpdesk/Desktop tech with only an A+, Network+, and Sec+

Recruiters don't give a fukk about a degree 80% of the time

Lol why go to school if you already had set in your mind?

Either way more power to you infrastructure cats on that one.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I've seen a couple of cats get jammed up not having a degree when they were trying to move into managerial roles.

For technical stuff though, it's usually a non issue.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Many recruiters do not care about degrees at a certain level.

If I could do to again though I would have completed my degree. It can certainly be used against you with certain employers.

I still make a high salary.

Silkk

Daps
I've seen a couple of cats get jammed up not having a degree when they were trying to move into managerial roles.

I'll say this when it comes to degress. If you want to be managerial or work for the government then yeah you gonna need that shyt

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Lol nah. For infrastructure it may not be an issue but you arent walking into any software dev/business systems dev role without a degree

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Many recruiters do not care about degrees at a certain level.

If I could do to again though I would have completed my degree. It can certainly be used against you with certain employers.

I still make a high salary.

When it comes to infrastructure gigs that no degree stuff flies but you will get laughed at thinking you will get into any role associated with development without a degree. Dudes try to use anomalies of the one cat who juuged his way to a high salary as if it is the norm but those dudes all did that stuff back in the day, either way dudes can do what they want with their careers, thats their issue at the end of the day not mine.

Silkk

Daps
Still waiting for the pic of these hoes mane :francis:
So far there's only one i'd hit in my class, she's in my wedn class. Another black dude already trying to scheme his way in the drawls tho.

We gotta pick groups of 2-3 this week and I figured he probably already snatched her up

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When it comes to infrastructure gigs that no degree stuff flies but you will get laughed at thinking you will get into any role associated with development without a degree. Dudes try to use anomalies of the one cat who juuged his way to a high salary as if it is the norm but those dudes all did that stuff back in the day, either way dudes can do what they want with their careers, thats their issue at the end of the day not mine.

Right. I do a lot of infrastructure and Operations work...but man cracking a Developer job you definitely need to learn underlying theory, algorithms, and data structures and that generally means taking the formal education route.

My friend is an Oracle DBA but is going back to school for Data Science. Was showing me some of his Differential Equations homework. I did calculus in college but I was like :whoo:

Going back to school is my next step. You have to always continue your education.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Right. I do a lot of infrastructure and Operations work...but man cracking a Developer job you definitely need to learn underlying theory, algorithms, and data structures and that generally means taking the formal education route.

My friend is an Oracle DBA but is going back to school for Data Science. Was showing me some of his Differential Equations homework. I did calculus in college but I was like :whoo:

Going back to school is my next step. You have to always continue your education.

With the industry going more and more towards automation and cloud most of these fufu jobs dudes used to be able to get with just a cert are going away. There are literally tools that do must of the stuff these entry level jobs do in a few scripts lol. And then with the rise lf devops many companies are looking for sys admins with development skills and if you think self studying will make you a good developer in a few months idk what to tell you lol. And them you have all these managed services companies doing the work for companies that no longer want to manager infrastructure in house all i can say is good luck to some of these dudes.

Daps
Lets put it this way. if you dont have a degree, you better be damn good at what you do. Like, you better be the most talented, you need to live and breath this shyt, and blow all competition away when you go for roles. It that aint you, then get a degree. Otherwise you are always gonna be that cat wondering why you arent paid as much as others or wondering why you keep losing out on jobs and such.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lets put it this way. if you dont have a degree, you better be damn good at what you do. Like, you better be the most talented, you need to live and breath this shyt, and blow all competition away when you go for roles. It that aint you, then get a degree. Otherwise you are always gonna be that cat wondering why you arent paid as much as others or wondering why you keep losing out on jobs and such.

let thecoli tell it all you need is a HS diploma and an A+ cert
:salute:

welcome to 1997 brehs