IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Anyone ever been stuck doing 2 roles? I feel like I'm being slightly 'abused' as I'm responsible for 2 totally separate functions (both capable of being full time jobs by themselves) and my requests to change this seems to fall on deaf ears. The roles are also linked to different grade levels so i also feel like I'm perceived at a 'lower' level from a department point of view because of it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anyone ever been stuck doing 2 roles? I feel like I'm being slightly 'abused' as I'm responsible for 2 totally separate functions (both capable of being full time jobs by themselves) and my requests to change this seems to fall on deaf ears. The roles are also linked to different grade levels so i also feel like I'm perceived at a 'lower' level from a department point of view because of it.

Well take that experience and go make more money elsewhere.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Well take that experience and go make more money elsewhere.

I have thought about it but increased salary may not be feasible without extending commute to unmanageable levels. If I switch companies it would more likely be for a better job title and increased responsibilities/experience.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I have thought about it but increased salary may not be feasible without extending commute to unmanageable levels. If I switch companies it would more likely be for a better job title and increased responsibilities/experience.

I assume you are in a city with a crappy job market if commute is whats holding you back.

I left my first job because i was underpaid bounced and took another gig making about 20k more, saw the next gig was diff than what i was presented and didnt do much for my career so i bounced from that and got another 20k+ jump in a yr. i always say never get comfortable and you gotta know your worth. Lot of these companies will just keep giving you these BS 3-5% merrit increases with promotions being rare so staying somewhere too long and the company isnt trying to invest in you shows they do not value you.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I assume you are in a city with a crappy job market if commute is whats holding you back.

I left my first job because i was underpaid bounced and took another gig making about 20k more, saw the next gig was diff than what i was presented and didnt do much for my career so i bounced from that and got another 20k+ jump in a yr. i always say never get comfortable and you gotta know your worth. Lot of these companies will just keep giving you these BS 3-5% merrit increases with promotions being rare so staying somewhere too long and the company isnt trying to invest in you shows they do not value you.

Good points. I have been promoted each of the past 3 years (Contractor Tech -> Manager -> Senior Manager). My issue is mostly relinquishing past responsibilities. For commute - I'm currently at 1 hour each way. For a substantial pay increase, I'd have to take a role into the city which would be 1.5-2 hours each way. I'm looking to move so that may become a moot point and would open up opportunities.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Good points. I have been promoted each of the past 3 years (Contractor Tech -> Manager -> Senior Manager). My issue is mostly relinquishing past responsibilities. For commute - I'm currently at 1 hour each way. For a substantial pay increase, I'd have to take a role into the city which would be 1.5-2 hours each way. I'm looking to move so that may become a moot point and would open up opportunities.

Unless you have a home i would def look into moving. Imo you gotta be in a city good for your career because worst case if you get laid off there are tons of other places in the same metro area you can go instead of having to go to a diff state or something

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Like slick dissing you saying you are unfit?

No he asked me did the recruiter do certain things like asked me to give a verbal offer, shyt like that.

My boss and team really like me, but the recruiter would say he would call me at certain times, miss calls, disorganized throughout the process. It definitely gave me some hesitation about the role, but it seemed like a really good team fit for me.

My boss said I should get a passport soon because I'll be able to go to the Czeck Republic in April :ehh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
No he asked me did the recruiter do certain things like asked me to give a verbal offer, shyt like that.

My boss and team really like me, but the recruiter would say he would call me at certain times, miss calls, disorganized throughout the process. It definitely gave me some hesitation about the role, but it seemed like a really good team fit for me.

My boss said I should get a passport soon because I'll be able to go to the Czeck Republic in April :ehh:

Go head make a good inpression.

You might be my plug in the future.
:lupe::salute:

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Just got a helpdesk/customer service role @ a IT consulting firm :blessed:payrate is $15/hr though:francis:

Question for the experienced coli brehs, should i work this joint for a couple months & gain the experience cuz I also work UPS in the worst hours of 3/4am :noah: but they help pay for my college tuition( was gonna take 12 IT credits this semester to help prep for the A+ test). Not sure what to do:lupe:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Get that education of they help you out! Definitely. I'd pass the A+ and go for a Linux+ or a Network+ personally.
Just got a helpdesk/customer service role @ a IT consulting firm :blessed:payrate is $15/hr though:francis:

Question for the experienced coli brehs, should i work this joint for a couple months & gain the experience cuz I also work UPS in the worst hours of 3/4am :noah: but they help pay for my college tuition( was gonna take 12 IT credits this semester to help prep for the A+ test). Not sure what to do:lupe:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Is it necessary to have a college degree along with certifications? Is it straight to just have certifications? I dont have the time to go to school but I would love to better myself. Also, I have a family, which is why school would be tough because my family depends on my income.

I have about 12 years of experience, a gang of certs, no degree, and my inbox stay flooded with jobs.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
What are some good books/online resources to look into to get into some certificates? Something I could do over the weekend and have a side gig on the weekends/possibly do some independent contracting?

Also, anyone know anything about SAS statistical analysis and its benefits for job progression?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Been back in school for like a week now. If I didn't have the money to blow and want to meet girls I probably would stop.

Every damn professor i've seen so far has been preaching the importance of certs over degrees.

Good thing is, they have great discounts on exam costs and most of the microsoft exams are free.

Dudes talking about if you get a cert while in semester they'll auto bump you up 2 grades :dwillhuh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Been back in school for like a week now. If I didn't have the money to blow and want to meet girls I probably would stop.

Every damn professor i've seen so far has been preaching the importance of certs over degrees.

Good thing is, they have great discounts on exam costs and most of the microsoft exams are free.

Dudes talking about if you get a cert while in semester they'll auto bump you up 2 grades :dwillhuh:

Man we are in a globalized economy, anyone saying you dont need a degree at this point is a damn fool. We dont have the luxury that cats who were our ages in the mid 90s and early 2000s had where there was no competition so all you needed was a hs diploma and an a+ cert. yall gotta be careful listening to these old dudes because they have something we dont and thats experience and the world was much different when they got their experience initially. Remember there was a time where if you had a degree you didnt need experienc for an entry level job. Now you have Junior positions asking for advance degrees + 2-3 yrs experience in some cases.