IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
bro on everything thank you

Also how has your journey been, and why did you leave your previous company?
My journey has been interesting so far, Im on my 4th year of IT experience and I'm right where I need to be. :blessed:

I left because personally I don't believe in moving up within in a company. I just use these guys for the experience and to get that next big :check: I have no loyalty to these guys :russ:

I took a risk coming into a smaller company but I feel in the end it will work out because I can get involved with a lot and I have more responsibility which I can finesse on the resume. I'm going to try and stay here for at least a year and half. But if a better opportunity comes up, I will jump on it

Last edited:

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
My journey has been interesting so far, Im on my 4th year of IT experience and I'm right wear I need to be. :blessed:

I left because personally I don't believe in moving up within in a company. I just use these guys for the experience and to get that next big :check: I have no loyalty to these guys :russ:

I took a risk coming into a smaller company but I feel in the end it will work out because I can get involved with a lot and I have more responsibility which I can finesse on the resume. I'm going to try and stay here for at least a year and half. But if a better opportunity comes up, I will jump on it

RNS
:salute:

is the bread as right as ive been told?

edit
If you take your current company to higher places, that will make that resume that much better to finesse more bread out these cacs, i dig it bro.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My journey has been interesting so far, Im on my 4th year of IT experience and I'm right wear I need to be. :blessed:

Depending on the org, sometimes if you stay too long your skills become dated to the market and your skills only benefit the company you are at. This is why some cats who are somewhere for like 15-20 years have a hard time going elsewhere if they arent management level.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Depending on the org, sometimes if you stay too long your skills become dated to the market and your skills only benefit the company you are at. This is why some cats who are somewhere for like 15-20 years have a hard time going elsewhere if they arent management level.
Thats another reason as well

You get stuck at a spot doing the same shyt you end up doing proprietary shyt that you can't take any where else

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
Yeah, pass the RHCSA, which is easy as shyt. The RHCSA is the Linux version of a MCSA except you don't have to take a million other exams first. So, the Linux side is easier and pays more.
what long term goals does someone have when they decide to take the RHCSA exam. What type of jobs or next steps are they looking towards? Learning how Linux works & the physical parts of computer components is my BEST guess.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
Is it necessary to have a college degree along with certifications? Is it straight to just have certifications? I dont have the time to go to school but I would love to better myself. Also, I have a family, which is why school would be tough because my family depends on my income.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Is it necessary to have a college degree along with certifications? Is it straight to just have certifications? I dont have the time to go to school but I would love to better myself. Also, I have a family, which is why school would be tough because my family depends on my income.
You can go to school online, a degree will do much more than certs. Experience trumps all though so get it how you live.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

Depends on the field. Desktop / help desk can be obtained with certifications and knowledge. Not sure how someone would have time for certifications but not school though. It's basically the same principle and takes equal amount of time. For IT operational jobs, I would go certifications myself and then go back to school after getting a full-time gig with tuition reimbursement.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
You can go to school online, a degree will do much more than certs. Experience trumps all though so get it how you live.

Depends on the field. Desktop / help desk can be obtained with certifications and knowledge. Not sure how someone would have time for certifications but not school though. It's basically the same principle and takes equal amount of time. For IT operational jobs, I would go certifications myself and then go back to school after getting a full-time gig with tuition reimbursement.

Appreciate the responses.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Started my new job today. My boss basically confirmed that my recruiter is bad at his job lol.