IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Light

Pro
Daps
I suggested some books.

Some to get him started. Definitely download Linux and play with it. I say run that shyt natively. Install Ubuntu/Fedora first, then when you're ready for the harder shyt install ArchLinux or Gentoo. I run ArchLinux myself on one of my laptops.

I definitely like using Vagrant + VirtualBox because you can download Vagrant files with prebuilt enviornments from github and play with them.

Learn configuration management / automation. Here's something to look at

Demo Environment

Be comfortable with the command line. Learn the shell, play with bash.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_07_01.html

Learn networking of course. Learn the OSI Model, learn TCP/IP.

So far what I can think you need to cover.

I can't see the books.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Some to get him started. Definitely download Linux and play with it. I say run that shyt natively. Install Ubuntu/Fedora first, then when you're ready for the harder shyt install ArchLinux or Gentoo. I run ArchLinux myself on one of my laptops.

You a hardcore dude. I just tried to set up an instance on VirtualBox and I'm in too deep :damn:. I thought I was doing something with Mint and Ubuntu but I guess I ain't about that life :to:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I suggested some books.

I definitely like using Vagrant + VirtualBox because you can download Vagrant files with prebuilt enviornments from github and play with them.

Learn configuration management / automation. Here's something to look at

Demo Environment

Be comfortable with the command line. Learn the shell, play with bash.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_07_01.html

Learn networking of course. Learn the OSI Model, learn TCP/IP.

So far what I can think you need to cover.

You got the knowledge that I'm trying to gain. Just signed up for pluralsight..currently learning more puppet, next is AWS, then onto code deployment, then CI/CD and finally circle back around and learn some docker tools and python

Daps
Reppin
Enchiladas all over the world
is 100k a year possible in security without the cissp?

having to wait 5 years to get it :patrice: i'm tryna move up as quick as possible

also @bdizzle most salaries i see are 100k range. is consulting the way to go if you wanna really make bread in security or IT in general? i've never done consulting so i have no idea how you know how many jobs you can juggle at once to really get paid:pachaha:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
is 100k a year possible in security without the cissp?

having to wait 5 years to get it :patrice: i'm tryna move up as quick as possible

also @bdizzle most salaries i see are 100k range. is consulting the way to go if you wanna really make bread in security or IT in general? i've never done consulting so i have no idea how you know how many jobs you can juggle at once to really get paid:pachaha:

I suspect you might be a cac so the only advice I have for you is kill yaself

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
which is easier , IT Certs or programming languages?

cuz shyt all I need is a $15 hr + job and Im gucci

cant certs get me that?

Whatever you're naturally good at. :yeshrug:

If you're good at fixing computers, get your A+ and apply for tech support/helpdesk jobs. If you're inclined towards coding then learn a popular language and create some sort of software you can show to prospective employers. Getting a job on the helpdesk is easier but it's a more stressful type of work (you'll have to spend a lot of time on the phone with end users who are angry, stupid, or both) and it pays less than coding.

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Im looking into enrollinf into an information security and assurance masters program. What jibs can i get with thag degree:patrice:

My job gonna pay for it

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of my coworkers is a UX designer. Every time I walk by her desk, she has a look of either utter despair or straight up boredom. It's hilarious. So, I finally ask her about it. She thinks the company is a joke and said it's amateur hour
I don't know if anyone remembers this post, but the chick got fired like a week after this post. And I think she might've taken the wacom tablet that the company bought for her to use. I was cool with her and it's not my tablet; so it's whatever.

On Wednesday though, some certificate that had to do with the company's VPN expired, so none of the remote developers could do anything. And there was work for clients due that day too! It's especially stupid because there was a warning email sent to the entire global ops team (including my low level ass) and at least 2 tech directors a week ago.