IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Hello.

I’ve been interested in learning IT for a while now, but the thing is that my university only offers it as a Minor. I’m thinking of just going for an Interactive Media Design major with a minor in a IT. I could also just go for a Computer Science degree, but I’m somewhat discouraged by the amount of math that you need to take. Never really been that good at math (might just be me not be interested more than me being bad at idk :yeshrug: ). What do you recommend brehs?

Also, I have very little to no experience in IT. I’ve taken a few computer science courses but that was beginner shyt. Do you have any books, videos, or sites that could help me learn?
Don't let the math discourage you. I'm no math wiz but I managed to get by. Physics is another story though... You're gonna have to be more detailed with what you're trying to learn since IT is a broad area. If you go the computer science route then your focus is going to be on writing software rather than help desk or network admin type stuff.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hello.

I’ve been interested in learning IT for a while now, but the thing is that my university only offers it as a Minor. I’m thinking of just going for an Interactive Media Design major with a minor in a IT. I could also just go for a Computer Science degree, but I’m somewhat discouraged by the amount of math that you need to take. Never really been that good at math (might just be me not be interested more than me being bad at idk :yeshrug: ). What do you recommend brehs?

Also, I have very little to no experience in IT. I’ve taken a few computer science courses but that was beginner shyt. Do you have any books, videos, or sites that could help me learn?
How old are you? If I could do college over, I'd go computer science all the way.

This is in MD. Did I mess up by saying $25??:mjcry:
You're going for internships. Money isn't your main motive, you're after the experience.

Light

Pro
Daps
Don't let the math discourage you. I'm no math wiz but I managed to get by. Physics is another story though... You're gonna have to be more detailed with what you're trying to learn since IT is a broad area. If you go the computer science route then your focus is going to be on writing software rather than help desk or network admin type stuff.

What are some of the languages/information that I should know before I apply for a help desk job?

How old are you? If I could do college over, I'd go computer science all the way.

You're going for internships. Money isn't your main motive, you're after the experience.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What are some of the languages/information that I should know before I apply for a help desk job?
Now that's an area I can't help you with since I'm in the software engineering side, so somebody else around here will have to chime in. But in general, to make yourself more marketable, learn some Python and make a project with it. Throw that project up on Github and write about it in your resume; be descriptive about what you did, it's purpose, and the tools you used. That'll help you with resume screening software. If you're looking for books on Python let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Also get a feel for Linux. Download Virtual Box and a Linux distro and play around with it. Learn how to use bash and navigate with the command line. It's tedious at first but you're building those marketable skills.

And let me add, communication skills are essential, so don't neglect them. If you aren't a good writer then practice. Read some books on grammar and sentence structure and the like. Have them looking at you like that breh knows what he's doing:deppwut:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

Programing usually isn't needed for help desk work. For this type of work you should be able able to operate a ticketing system and have some experience handling computer hardware and software (A+ and MCSA: Windows cert). Most of the time it's just basic troubleshooting.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Now that's an area I can't help you with since I'm in the software engineering side, so somebody else around here will have to chime in. But in general, to make yourself more marketable, learn some Python and make a project with it. Throw that project up on Github and write about it in your resume; be descriptive about what you did, it's purpose, and the tools you used. That'll help you with resume screening software. If you're looking for books on Python let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Also get a feel for Linux. Download Virtual Box and a Linux distro and play around with it. Learn how to use bash and navigate with the command line. It's tedious at first but you're building those marketable skills.

And let me add, communication skills are essential, so don't neglect them. If you aren't a good writer then practice. Read some books on grammar and sentence structure and the like. Have them looking at you like that breh knows what he's doing:deppwut:

I suggested some books.

Some to get him started. Definitely download Linux and play with it. I say run that shyt natively. Install Ubuntu/Fedora first, then when you're ready for the harder shyt install ArchLinux or Gentoo. I run ArchLinux myself on one of my laptops.

I definitely like using Vagrant + VirtualBox because you can download Vagrant files with prebuilt enviornments from github and play with them.

Learn configuration management / automation. Here's something to look at

Demo Environment

Be comfortable with the command line. Learn the shell, play with bash.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_07_01.html

Learn networking of course. Learn the OSI Model, learn TCP/IP.

So far what I can think you need to cover.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Half the thread is about this. Certs: A+ -->CCENT---> MCSA: Win 10

If you want to code, get a computer science degree or go to a coding bootcamp.
i have A+, and N+. I am not sure sure if I should go for ccna next or go for Mcsa.

I'm also trying to figue out if I should go the system admin route our the network engineer.
I dont have a particular interest either way.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
which is easier , IT Certs or programming languages?

cuz shyt all I need is a $15 hr + job and Im gucci

cant certs get me that?