IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
ccna or mcsa?
Depends on what you feel more comfortable doing. As far as pay though, 3 years ago i started out doing level 1 tech support 3 months after i got my A+ Making $15.50/hr. last year I got my MCSA 2012 and landed a systems admin position making $35/hr. Currently studying for the MCSE. Gotta thank the homie @bdizzle he dropped so many gems in here over the years that helped me decide what path i should take in I.T. :salute:. I advise you guys to look back on his posts in here and many others, so many gems.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Depends on what you feel more comfortable doing. As far as pay though, 3 years ago i started out doing level 1 tech support 3 months after i got my A+ Making $15.50/hr. last year I got my MCSA 2012 and landed a systems admin position making $35/hr. Currently studying for the MCSE. Gotta thank the homie @bdizzle he dropped so many gems in here over the years that helped me decide what path i should take in I.T. :salute:. I advise you guys to look back on his posts in here and many others, so many gems.

How many years experience you got?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I only have 3 years experience in I.T

3 years and already at $35/hr. You on your way breh :myman:

Don't get comfortable though, you need to hit $135/hr in the next 3 years. Take the cert game to new levels breh :wow:

Besides, we need more brehs in the 5 figure a month club. That's when you get your 7th pawg :mjpls:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
3 years and already at $35/hr. You on your way breh :myman:

Don't get comfortable though, you need to hit $135/hr in the next 3 years. Take the cert game to new levels breh :wow:

Besides, we need more brehs in the 5 figure a month club. That's when you get your 7th pawg :mjpls:
Haha Im never going to stop till i max out breh. :blessed:I screenshot every gem you ever gave me and look at it every day to stay motivated. I'll be at the 5 figure a month club in no time! Im eventually i want to get into the security lane, A few months back i asked you about the security+ cert and you said since i have my MCSA2012 i should just stick to studying for the MCSE sijce it involves alot of AD then get the CISSP once i get 5 years experience in I.T so im following that path right now.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Haha Im never going to stop till i max out breh. :blessed:I screenshot every gem you ever gave me and look at it every day to stay motivated. I'll be at the 5 figure a month club in no time! Im eventually i want to get into the security lane, A few months back i asked you about the security+ cert and you said since i have my MCSA2012 i should just stick to studying for the MCSE sijce it involves alot of AD then get the CISSP once i get 5 years experience in I.T so im following that path right now.

MCSE + CISSP and you'll be set breh. Do you know where in security you want to be? If you want to stay on the windows side, start learning about ADCS/PKI and ADFS (and of course powershell).

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
MCSE + CISSP and you'll be set breh. Do you know where in security you want to be? If you want to stay on the windows side, start learning about ADCS/PKI and ADFS (and of course powershell).
Thats the thing I'm not sure about yet. I guess I'll stay on the windows side, I have a how to learn active directory in a month of lunches and how to learn powershell in a month of lunches books. Would that be sufficient enough to learn all of that or is there something better i can use to learn it?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thats the thing I'm not sure about yet. I guess I'll stay on the windows side, I have a how to learn active directory in a month of lunches and how to learn powershell in a month of lunches books. Would that be sufficient enough to learn all of that or is there something better i can use to learn it?

The MCSE (411, 412, 413, and 414) will cover ADDS, ADCS, and ADFS. To learn powershell you just gotta use it. As your studying for the MCSE, just follow along in the book and have your VMs up so you can follow along and do what they're doing. Once your comfortable doing shyt with the gui tools, try doing the same thing in powershell.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
The MCSE (411, 412, 413, and 414) will cover ADDS, ADCS, and ADFS. To learn powershell you just gotta use it. As your studying for the MCSE, just follow along in the book and have your VMs up so you can follow along and do what they're doing. Once your comfortable doing shyt with the gui tools, try doing the same thing in powershell.
ok so just studying the books/videos from the 411,412,413 and 414 is enough so I am already on the right track. :whew:

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What was your experience like studying for msca? How much time did it take and do you have any book recommendations?

It also seems their are multiple tests. Do you recommend one?

Last edited:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
What was your experience like studying for msca? How much time did it take and do you have any book recommendations?

It also seems their are multiple tests. Do you recommend one?
It was ok. I made sure I studied 3-4 hrs a day. Took me about 5 months to pass all 3 tests. You must pass 3 tests to be MCSA 2012 certified (70-410,411 and 412). 411 was the most difficult to me but may be different for everyone. As far as study materials i used cbt nuggets, the exam reference books, and a bunch of practice exams.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was ok. I made sure I studied 3-4 hrs a day. Took me about 5 months to pass all 3 tests. You must pass 3 tests to be MCSA 2012 certified (70-410,411 and 412). 411 was the most difficult to me but may be different for everyone. As far as study materials i used cbt nuggets, the exam reference books, and a bunch of practice exams.

How has the cert helped you as far as getting jobs? Would you do it over again?