IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
No I don't. I'm kind of in a weird spot because I have a security analyst job right now doing GRC, SSP, risk assessment, and vulnerability assessment. I'm trying to get a more technical role but not trying to take a drop in pay to do so.

Take the pay cut breh. Sometimes you gotta move backwards to move forwards :dame:

Daps
Don't they get a commission based off of the salary you're offered though?
And they likely get more if they can get you to accept less. Thats the whole point of having a good recruiter. to save the company money. Why would i hire a recruiter who is trying to get folks paid more!

Daps
Answer with a range is better and be prepared to counter with rationale. If they don't bite at a reasonable market rate range they don't value you. Period.

Best is to not answer. Im not talking money until i have an offer in hand. And think about it, how can you know what you would accept as compensation if you dont know EVERYTHING about the role. I need to know how rigourous it will be. AM i working 7 days a week and nights and weekends? Or will work life balance be good. WIll the commute be awful? WHat are the benefits? Do i like my boss? Am i gaining a skill i need? All of these are factors in how much i will want to be compensated. I may accept less for the perfect job and i may want way more for the job that is going to prevent me from seeing my fam. And if pressed i will explain that to them. This is also good because then i can flip it and start interviewing them.

Now, i will ask them a range when they ask me that question. But generally, i know that if i can get an offer, i can show you i bring enough value to get my market worth.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Answer with a range is better and be prepared to counter with rationale. If they don't bite at a reasonable market rate range they don't value you. Period.
How do you know choose the range? like if you go to a site like glassdoor and dind the nattional avg. what do say the the bottom to the highest, the middle to highest, or just a range at the top?

Best is to not answer. Im not talking money until i have an offer in hand. And think about it, how can you know what you would accept as compensation if you dont know EVERYTHING about the role. I need to know how rigourous it will be. AM i working 7 days a week and nights and weekends? Or will work life balance be good. WIll the commute be awful? WHat are the benefits? Do i like my boss? Am i gaining a skill i need? All of these are factors in how much i will want to be compensated. I may accept less for the perfect job and i may want way more for the job that is going to prevent me from seeing my fam. And if pressed i will explain that to them. This is also good because then i can flip it and start interviewing them.

Now, i will ask them a range when they ask me that question. But generally, i know that if i can get an offer, i can show you i bring enough value to get my market worth.

I had a guy ask desired amount on email so I filled out all questions then left it blank. He calls me back saying he has to have an answer. I gave him a range (3 dollars /hour difference) and without hesitation he agreed on highest number on the spot.

So I thought:patrice:

:ufdup:

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whats the difference between system admin and network admin/engineer? Which do you feel is better and why? Do you feel one is easier then the other?

I think I generally know network engineer route(ccna > ccnp> ccie).

Im not sure about the system admin route.

Last edited:
Daps
How do you know choose the range? like if you go to a site like glassdoor and dind the nattional avg. what do say the the bottom to the highest, the middle to highest, or just a range at the top?

I had a guy ask desired amount on email so I filled out all questions then left it blank. He calls me back saying he has to have an answer. I gave him a range (3 dollars /hour difference) and without hesitation he agreed on highest number on the spot.

Yea dude was like aight bet. Don't say a range because you may be under bidding yourself. They may offer more. And on the flip side they may say we arent offering that much without knowing what you can bring to the table. Save the money talk for once the interview process is complete and you have an offer. First person to say a number loses.

Last edited:
Daps
What is the best site to find that information?
There are sites like Glassdoor and indeed and salary.com.

But that is mostly an estimate at best. Just because some guy is making 100k at a company as a sysadmin doesn't mean you deserve to make the same.

The best way to determine your worth is to apply to jobs and see what offers you actually are commanding. If you are applying to jobs that pay 100k and don't get any but are getting offers in the 70k range then that tells you something.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are sites like Glassdoor and indeed and salary.com.

But that is mostly an estimate at best. Just because some guy is making 100k at a company as a sysadmin doesn't mean you deserve to make the same.

The best way to determine your worth is to apply to jobs and see what offers you actually are commanding. If you are applying to jobs that pay 100k and don't get any but are getting offers in the 70k range then that tells you something.

Exactly. The problem is when these recruiters call they ask me for desired income which I honestly dont know more then those estimates u were saying. And if it for a postion that has an estimated 30k differencee between the bottom on top how do I know what evaulate myself at.

Should I not fukk with recruiters?

Daps
Exactly. The problem is when these recruiters call they ask me for desired income which I honestly dont know more then those estimates u were saying. And if it for a postion that has an estimated 30k differencee between the bottom on top how do I know what evaulate myself at.

Should I not fukk with recruiters?
No defintely fuk with them. They are helpful. Just tell them you don't know as it's dependent on the role so until you go through the interview process you won't know. Most will be cool with that and you automatically come off as someone who has been through this before and knows heir worth.

But if it's your first job or you're desperate for a job don't play hardball. Give an amount you are comfortable with and don't worry about what others are making. 40k is a bit more that you currently make and will pay the bills and get you good experience then fukk it tell them that. Save the negotiating for when you have a job and are looking and have a little leverage.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No defintely fuk with them. They are helpful. Just tell them you don't know as it's dependent on the role so until you go through the interview process you won't know. Most will be cool with that and you automatically come off as someone who has been through this before and knows heir worth.

But if it's your first job or you're desperate for a job don't play hardball. Give an amount you are comfortable with and don't worry about what others are making. 40k is a bit more that you currently make and will pay the bills and get you good experience then fukk it tell them that. Save the negotiating for when you have a job and are looking and have a little leverage.
what about if say that , and then they ask for how much you made at uour last job?

Is it ever ok to lie (to requiters only) a little if you have to answer?

Daps
what about if say that , and then they ask for how much you made at uour last job?

Is it ever ok to lie (to requiters only) a little if you have to answer?
i wouldnt recommend lying. If you are pressed to answer that, respond with compensation. And pad your number with the value of the benefits you are receiving. But normally i don't answer that either. its not relevant to the role im applying for.

Light

Pro
Daps
Hello.

I’ve been interested in learning IT for a while now, but the thing is that my university only offers it as a Minor. I’m thinking of just going for an Interactive Media Design major with a minor in a IT. I could also just go for a Computer Science degree, but I’m somewhat discouraged by the amount of math that you need to take. Never really been that good at math (might just be me not be interested more than me being bad at idk :yeshrug: ). What do you recommend brehs?

Also, I have very little to no experience in IT. I’ve taken a few computer science courses but that was beginner shyt. Do you have any books, videos, or sites that could help me learn?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Is it bad to ask for $25/hr for an internship? They asked if I would take $20