IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
For the programmers out there, how often are you contributing to open source projects or creating your own? I'm tossing the idea back and forth of trying to make a change to a Linux distro or something to that extent, but my C skills are :flabbynsick: and I just wouldn't know where to start. To date, all of the stuff on my GitHub has been either a class project or some somewhat trivial code tossed together to help me stand out from others. Despite that, I still want to get some experience working with existing code bases.

Daps
For the programmers out there, how often are you contributing to open source projects or creating your own? I'm tossing the idea back and forth of trying to make a change to a Linux distro or something to that extent, but my C skills are :flabbynsick: and I just wouldn't know where to start. To date, all of the stuff on my GitHub has been either a class project or some somewhat trivial code tossed together to help me stand out from others. Despite that, I still want to get some experience working with existing code bases.

The number of gainfully employed software engineers/programmers that are active in open source is dwarfed by those whose output is mostly code for their employers. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Contributing bug fixes and feature requests here and there is fine, but you definitely want to get experience building something from the ground up, being able to talk about the decisions and tradeoffs, and seeing something through. These are all important characteristics and skills that employers value and will make you stand out.

There are downsides to running open source projects (time commitment, demands for your attention, unappreciation). However, if you're just looking to get your feet wet, many projects have issues and requests that are tagged in such way that they make sense for someone new to the project.

You missed it this year, but look at Hacktoberfest for inspiration.

Hacktoberfest 2016 - DigitalOcean

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That cert has def opened up many more doors compared to when i didn't have it.

Did you have other certs before? I have an N+ and A+ would it be smart to go for msca server 2012 or go for and Msca in something like windows 8,10?

Last edited:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Putting together my resume again :russell:
Just wanna submit a piece of paper saying Imma need 6 figures :youngsabo:

Realizing how much experience I've amassed in my year here, light sprinkling of ducktales and we bout to cash out :noah:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The number of gainfully employed software engineers/programmers that are active in open source is dwarfed by those whose output is mostly code for their employers. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Contributing bug fixes and feature requests here and there is fine, but you definitely want to get experience building something from the ground up, being able to talk about the decisions and tradeoffs, and seeing something through. These are all important characteristics and skills that employers value and will make you stand out.

There are downsides to running open source projects (time commitment, demands for your attention, unappreciation). However, if you're just looking to get your feet wet, many projects have issues and requests that are tagged in such way that they make sense for someone new to the project.

You missed it this year, but look at Hacktoberfest for inspiration.

Hacktoberfest 2016 - DigitalOcean
That's kinda what I figured about full time devs. I have a few start-to-finish projects under my belt already so if I'm asked I can expand on my experiences. Honestly, at this point my resume is strong enough to where I don't need to really search out opportunities for gaining experience, but it doesn't hurt to do it anyway. By the end of the week I'll have one or two class projects to put on my Github that'll show some of my experience with AI search algorithms and working with unfamiliar technologies.
Side note: group projects are so:snoop:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just found an offer letter in my old boss' email from over a year before I started. It was for my position offering some dude 15k more than I'm making.

:mjcry: :wtb:

Last edited:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Did you have other certs before? I have an N+ and A+ would it be smart to go for msca server 2012 or go for and Msca in something like windows 8,10?
Just seeing this. Before my MCSA server 2012 i had my A+ cert. After i got the A+ i landed my first I.T job about 3months later. The MCSA2012 landed me higher paying jobs/system admin type jobs. Studying for the MCSE2012 now

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
Just seeing this. Before my MCSA server 2012 i had my A+ cert. After i got the A+ i landed my first I.T job about 3months later. The MCSA2012 landed me higher paying jobs/system admin type jobs. Studying for the MCSE2012 now
running a dual boot windows 10/ windows server 2012 r2 standard as of today breh. What are the most important (need to know) excercises of the mcsa? Also, what is the starting salary in your area? I have my a+ already but that shyt only getting me 30-35k jobs. I'm looking to be close to 60-70 just with the mcsa but that doesn't seem all that plausible anymore :shaq2:. Anway, any advice on the mcsa would be appreciated

@Sonny Bonds that sucks breh. But you have to negotiate upfront or they will pay you the base starting salary for the position...

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Sonny Bonds that sucks breh. But you have to negotiate upfront or they will pay you the base starting salary for the position...
Back when I was offered the job, I asked if they could raise the offer to 5k more than I'm getting. They said no because I'd be getting training.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Look for a new job and use that higher offer as leverage for the old gig assuming you want to stay.
Let's say you're in the negotiations process and you actually don't have any other offers. Would you recommend saying you have an offer for more and risk them calling your bluff? I'm not in this situation, no offers at the moment, I'm just curious as to what other people would do.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Let's say you're in the negotiations process and you actually don't have any other offers. Would you recommend saying you have an offer for more and risk them calling your bluff? I'm not in this situation, no offers at the moment, I'm just curious as to what other people would do.
You don't want to sour things at your job. I'd only push them if I had an offer on the table.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Typically they just ask me my salary range during the initial phone screening when I first get hit up. So I always give them a range where the Min is what I want so anything over the min is a plus. So if they ask how much I want and I say 90-95k, the 90 is what I want, so if I get an offer of 92k then I got what I want and then some. The only thing you should probably be negotiating during the offer letter phase would be vacation time and stuff like that depending if thats a priority.

If you are in a job that sucks then you might want to play it safe, but if the job you are currently in is decent then you at least have some leverage to tell recruiters what ever you want, and if they turn you down then its really no biggie.

Once you have 4-5+ years experience you should be able to demand what you want, because even if you are getting underpaid at your current gig you can just bounce and get the market rate at a new gig. When you dont have much experience you don't have much leverage when it comes to looking for work.

Next year will make 5 yrs in the game for me, once I finish my Masters hopefully next fall I`m going to assess my goals for the next 3-5 years.

Daps
I wouldnt lie if you dont have an offer. But once you are getting close to an offer thats the best time to get your resume out there so you can leverage this offer elsewhere. My last job search once i had 1 offer, i went to the other two companies and told them i had an offer on the table. This lets them know you are highly coveted and then usually if they like you they will speed up the process and get you their offer the next day. THEN you have lots of leverage and negotiate.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldnt lie if you dont have an offer. But once you are getting close to an offer thats the best time to get your resume out there so you can leverage this offer elsewhere. My last job search once i had 1 offer, i went to the other two companies and told them i had an offer on the table. This lets them know you are highly coveted and then usually if they like you they will speed up the process and get you their offer the next day. THEN you have lots of leverage and negotiate.
Once you get an offer how long do you take to decide? What do you tell the company who gave you the offer while you make your decision?