IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm open to that too. I just want to break in to what's the easiest to get hired with a decent salary as I expand my portfolio and skills. You tell me breh, im just a youngin who doesn't want debt and be able to retire my mom asap.
I only have experience as a dev :manny:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm open to that too. I just want to break in to what's the easiest to get hired with a decent salary as I expand my portfolio and skills. You tell me breh, im just a youngin who doesn't want debt and be able to retire my mom asap.

Find what you like. You don't need to go to boot camp or even have a degree if you want a web dev job. You need a substantial portfolio though if you want to do web dev. But be warned, if you don't like programming, then this might not be the field for you. I spend tons of hours outside of work learning new concepts. Find whether you like IT or web development and then focus hard on it.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Find what you like. You don't need to go to boot camp or even have a degree if you want a web dev job. You need a substantial portfolio though if you want to do web dev. But be warned, if you don't like programming, then this might not be the field for you. I spend tons of hours outside of work learning new concepts. Find whether you like IT or web development and then focus hard on it.
Thanks breh

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
One of the best things about being the IT guy is going into people's email when they leave the company.

This one chick send her resignation email in on Sunday for her last day to be the coming Friday. A month later and there's an email from her bank, saying her account has less than $25.
:francis:
i used to be a lotus notes admin for a top fortune 500 company....bruh the type of things ppl send in the corporate e-mails :smh:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Yea, that was certainly the path I thought made the most sense. But during my interview, the director really pushed hard for me to do the Networking route. Especially b/c of my strong interest in Security. But I appreciate the input. Good looking!

You can do security and programming if you find a job at a company that specializes in security. For example look at the job requirements and the problems you can solve here

Find Your Career | Tenable Network Security

The only downside is jobs that require you to mix security+programming tend to you want you to have a ton of work experience and education ( I've seen some asking for a PH.D )

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
Anybody know good study material for your SEC+ cert I have the vce exam simulator but anybody know where i can find some good reading material

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm about 5 months into my job and I've realized that the only way I'm gonna learn anything is through my cert studying and then testing it at work.

I knew that's where the majority of my learning was going to come from, but it's crazy. I've set multiple meetings with my bosses to learn how to handle a few monthly maintenance tickets. One time I was shown server patching, but not well enough that I could do it on my own. Dude that showed me wasn't entirely sure about some of the servers.

The latest meeting I set has been pulled back 3 times. The tickets are like 200 hours out of SLA. Meanwhile I'm researching $500 barcode stickers for inventory shyt.

And I find myself trying to convince the higher-ups to buy software, so I can learn it and add it to my resume.