IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
You want to do web development? or just backend stuff.

Since I started in 2007, I know front end..back end......Big data....relational databases....shell scripting...3rd party software upgrade.(Windows server)

Im all over the place man...Im the lead on a team with 8 Indians...and I run the show...
I just want to get my foot in IT without a bachelor degree. Make a nice median salary. I hate community college and my retail part time. fukk these essays.
Edit:
What are the pros and cons between web dev and backend?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just want to get my foot in IT without a bachelor degree. Make a nice median salary. I hate community college and my retail part time. fukk these essays.
Edit:
If you want to do development then it's either a degree or one of those boot camp places.

semtex

:)
Daps
Edit:
front end dev is kinda a moving target. Always some flavor of the month js framework poppin up. Hell even angular stay switchin up. Angular 1 and 2 are nothing alike. Who knows how the next iterations of angular 2 will be. Back-end is less chaotic. I'm a full stack dude myself.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
If you want to do development then it's either a degree or one of those boot camp places.
Then fukk that shyt
front end dev is kinda a moving target. Always some flavor of the month js framework poppin up. Hell even angular stay switchin up. Angular 1 and 2 are nothing alike. Who knows how the next iterations of angular 2 will be. Back-end is less chaotic. I'm a full stack dude myself.
Breh I'm lost lol

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
What sites are you guys using for job placement? Is it worth it for me to set up a linkden profile?
I use indeed and dice.com (recently setup). I've heard people telling me about linkedn and had a profile since like 2007 or so but never used it and still dont. But i think you should try it out to let us know how it works for you.

Daps
I just got my A+ and now preparing to go to community college this january. They offer transfer options and certificates for Information technology and healthcare IT. Which focus has better job prospects and the better work life balance ? Should I specialize or get a general bs in security to keep my options open ? Which area has the higher earning potential also.

yakamein

#milfhunter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA2HTOWN
I just got my A+ and now preparing to go to community college this january. They offer transfer options and certificates for Information technology and healthcare IT. Which focus has better job prospects and the better work life balance ? Should I specialize or get a general bs in security to keep my options open ? Which area has the higher earning potential also.
congrats brew, how long did u study before taking it? what were your study habits? I have the book along with a complete video tutorial from udemy.

Daps
congrats brew, how long did u study before taking it? what were your study habits? I have the book along with a complete video tutorial from udemy.
I started studying april. I signed up for a class that non profit was offering for 250 dollars lab included. I read the book 2 hrs a day and watched proffessor messer videos everynight before bed. But the thing that helped the most was the hands on training. Taking a computer apart. Indentifying the parts. Installing windows software over and over. Troubleshooting your own mistakes. It took my 4 months. I wouldve took less time if I wasnt bsing and fukking around.

yakamein

#milfhunter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA2HTOWN
I started studying april. I signed up for a class that non profit was offering for 250 dollars lab included. I read the book 2 hrs a day and watched proffessor messer videos everynight before bed. But the thing that helped the most was the hands on training. Taking a computer apart. Indentifying the parts. Installing windows software over and over. Troubleshooting your own mistakes. It took my 4 months. I wouldve took less time if I wasnt bsing and fukking around.
I have experience with installing/ uninstalling hard and software, just have to brush up before I take this test. Did you know anything at all about those types of things prior to labs and classes?

Daps
I have experience with installing/ uninstalling hard and software, just have to brush up before I take this test. Did you know anything at all about those types of things prior to labs and classes?
I didnt have a clue or interest in IT work. Matter of fact I was home sick for like two weeks last february and read through this whole thread from start to finish.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
So I can self teach and break in with only certs? Or which IT/Computer Science jobs allow this? I can't do the boot camp stuff.

semtex

:)
Daps
So I can self teach and break in with only certs? Or which IT/Computer Science jobs allow this? I can't do the boot camp stuff.
you can self teach and build a portfolio based on what you learn. Even if it's all naive implementations of the things you learn, it'll show that you are a self starter and capable of learning.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
you can self teach and build a portfolio based on what you learn. Even if it's all naive implementations of the things you learn, it'll show that you are a self starter and capable of learning.
This apply for any route? Should I just focus on a help desk portfolio?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Oh I was thinking in terms of being a developer
I'm open to that too. I just want to break in to what's the easiest to get hired with a decent salary as I expand my portfolio and skills. You tell me breh, im just a youngin who doesn't want debt and be able to retire my mom asap.