IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I haven't been able to use it. My MacBook broke the day I was leaving to visit my client and I haven't had a chance to get it look at.
Damn, i need a lab to practice in and my job got that hacking lab site blocked.

May just cop em and see what they about.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Damn, i need a lab to practice in and my job got that hacking lab site blocked.

May just cop em and see what they about.
Setup some VMs on your personal computer. I had kali, metasploitable, window 7, and a few VM from vulnhub running on my computer before it broke.

Silkk

Daps
Setup some VMs on your personal computer. I had kali, metasploitable, window 7, and a few VM from vulnhub running on my computer before it broke.
My shyt not bout that life right now, :flabbynsick: like a mofo. Can barely run chrome & Itunes at the same time :francis:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wassup, everyone. I don't know why I didn't reach out to the coli brehs a long time ago. I'm looking for some insight into which path I should take. Backstory: I'm mission driven, so I've been doing a combination of teaching, college advising, and mental health counseling for the past several years. Bachelor's in business and foreign language, which includes a lot of MIS coursework. IQ > 140. Love math. Love learning new (foreign) languages. Creative mind. I don't handle boredom or monotony too well. Played around w/ different programming languages. Despite no tech cert's, always the go-to guy for trouble-shooting and other IT-related stuff through my various roles.

So fast-forward to today, I'm making a career leap of sorts. Torn between software development/engineering or network admin. I've been accepted into two parallel programs that will provide paid internships and training:
--On the coding side, it's akin to most of these coding bootcamps that have popped up in recent years, but they also prep you for the MTA cert.
--The other option on the network support end is very CISCO-centric. and gets you the CCNA for routing & switching, and wireless.

I can only do one. I'm torn as to which direction to take. I love dealing with infrastructure and I have a strong interest in network security. I actually aspire to get my CEH in the future. BUT, I also love creating. And coding, so far, has been pretty fun. I actually want to create some app's on the mental health tip that will make treatment less daunting and laborious. But I also want to open a group home that will have an IT type of niche as part of the treatment model. Which direction would you recommend: coding, or networking?

Silkk

Daps
Wassup, everyone. I don't know why I didn't reach out to the coli brehs a long time ago. I'm looking for some insight into which path I should take. Backstory: I'm mission driven, so I've been doing a combination of teaching, college advising, and mental health counseling for the past several years. Bachelor's in business and foreign language, which includes a lot of MIS coursework. IQ > 140. Love math. Love learning new (foreign) languages. Creative mind. I don't handle boredom or monotony too well. Played around w/ different programming languages. Despite no tech cert's, always the go-to guy for trouble-shooting and other IT-related stuff through my various roles.

So fast-forward to today, I'm making a career leap of sorts. Torn between software development/engineering or network admin. I've been accepted into two parallel programs that will provide paid internships and training:
--On the coding side, it's akin to most of these coding bootcamps that have popped up in recent years, but they also prep you for the MTA cert.
--The other option on the network support end is very CISCO-centric. and gets you the CCNA for routing & switching, and wireless.

I can only do one. I'm torn as to which direction to take. I love dealing with infrastructure and I have a strong interest in network security. I actually aspire to get my CEH in the future. BUT, I also love creating. And coding, so far, has been pretty fun. I actually want to create some app's on the mental health tip that will make treatment less daunting and laborious. But I also want to open a group home that will have an IT type of niche as part of the treatment model. Which direction would you recommend: coding, or networking?
Sound like a coder to me :manny:

Daps
Reppin
MD

If you love Math go with the development/engineering. At my last job our best programmer was a math wizard.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sound like a coder to me :manny:

Yea, that was certainly the path I thought made the most sense. But during my interview, the director really pushed hard for me to do the Networking route. Especially b/c of my strong interest in Security. But I appreciate the input. Good looking!

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you love Math go with the development/engineering. At my last job our best programmer was a math wizard.
Yea, math is my stuff. I be trying to convince middle schoolers and high school freshman to let me teach them calculus. lol. It almost works until they see all the greek alphabet characters. What I'm wondering, however, is if there is a clear path to network security (CEH being the bare minimum of what I wish to do) from coding. I know programming languages are certainly helpful. But would there be a smooth path, or would I more or less have to do "extra" in order to make the two work hand-in-hand? The IPv6 stuff is also a draw toward systems admin. During my Network+ prep, the instructor saw my affinity toward math and juiced me up on being able to put those skills to use in networking.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Yea, math is my stuff. I be trying to convince middle schoolers and high school freshman to let me teach them calculus. lol. It almost works until they see all the greek alphabet characters. What I'm wondering, however, is if there is a clear path to network security (CEH being the bare minimum of what I wish to do) from coding. I know programming languages are certainly helpful. But would there be a smooth path, or would I more or less have to do "extra" in order to make the two work hand-in-hand? The IPv6 stuff is also a draw toward systems admin. During my Network+ prep, the instructor saw my affinity toward math and juiced me up on being able to put those skills to use in networking.
@bdizzle can you provide any insight on this.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did i get the wrong book if i got 220-801/220-802 if folks are on 901 and 902
Im pretty sure they just discontinued the 801 and 802 test tbh.

I just passed it a little while ago.

Just in case you care I'd go to professor messor and watch all his videos. Turn the speed to 2x to get done in half the time. Get his notes their like 10 dollars a pop but well worth it especially for the 801 which for u might be 901. The secound test it helped less but still was good the 802 was more thinking than memorization which the 801 seemed to mainly be.

If you have any computer trpubleshooting history that's might be all you need. But memorize those notes if you get them.