IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

he_is_I

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
Hey all,

I have a year left before I graduate University of Phoenix with an Associates in IT with Programming certificate. I have been looking up jobs such as programming and software development jobs to see what is out there but I don't feel prepared or qualified enough for their requirements. Will it be hard to find a job when I graduate? Do jobs want all requirements and qualifications met or do most train? So far I have very limited knowledge of Java,C,C++,HTML5 and Javascript.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
MCSE advice, tips? who already has it? what was on the exam etc?

i figure its about time i get mine.
I don't have the MCSE. I'm still studying for the MCSA. Which MCSE do you plan to go for?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
You are headed in the right direction really. Just keep learning. maybe build a home lab to learn new shyt. Cop a cert or two before you graduate. You should be good.

Which certs will go good together with my experience? MCSA and what others??

Daps
Reppin
MD
Just got my BS in CIS - Information Technology.
Only cert I have I got in school, ICCP - Information Systems Analyst Practicioner.

I was looking to get A+, Network+ certified asap..would this be a good start for the A+?

CompTIA A+ Certification 220-901 & 220-902 Full Course

I also read up on courses/training offered by Cybrary?
IMO I would skip the A+ since you have a degree in CIS.

What work are you trying to get into?

Daps
Reppin
MD
I was thinking networking, troubleshooting/helpdesk or even database management...

why would you recommend skipping A+?

I'm not sure what you learned in college but, with my CIS degree I learned majority of what's covered in the A+ in college.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
MD
I'm not sure what you learned in college but with my CIS degree I learned majority of what's covered on the A+ in college.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of the best things about being the IT guy is going into people's email when they leave the company.

This one chick send her resignation email in on Sunday for her last day to be the coming Friday. A month later and there's an email from her bank, saying her account has less than $25.
:francis: