IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thanks @bdizzle and anyone else for all the advice given here over the years. I've been in I.T for 3 years, i have my MCSA Server 2012 cert and wanted to jump into the I.T security field but i hear everyone in here saying you need at least 5yrs experience in I.T before you can sit for the CISSP. Should i get the Security+ cert for now or should I just try and get the MCSE2012 until i get to 5yrs experience? Kind of stuck on what path I should take
Any tips for someone studying for the first MCSA exam?

swerve

All Star
Daps
Go for it breh. I'm specialized and certified on Office 365, there's so much money coming that way. you can't even imagine.

The real thing is don't just do that. Try to understand the extra components like the CRM add ons, the project online add ons and all those other little stuff.
My aim for the last five years was to go into ERP. Think the real money is in ERP and CRM systems. But Office365 sidetracked me a little bit and im afraid I will get stuck in the Office365 swamp. Luckily Microsoft is pushing everything towards the cloud :jbhmm: I dont have any tech certs at all actually, just ITIL and PRINCE2:francis: and PM is boring as hell tbh

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Only completed1 domain this past weekend due to a fukk up during the software upgrade:snoop:

Only got 2 left and then its study study study, practice practice practice time

Daps
Reppin
MD
Only completed1 domain this past weekend due to a fukk up during the software upgrade:snoop:

Only got 2 left and then its study study study, practice practice practice time

Nice, I'm about to knock out this SSCP since I don't have any where near 4 years of security experience for the CISSP.

I'm also sitting in my friends study session while they try and prepare for the OSCP. I eventually want to take that exam but some of that stuff is going straight over my head.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Do you guys reach out after an interview if you haven't heard anything in say a week or do you just let it ride and keep sending out apps. Do you set a baseline of time if the person didnt give a specific window?

Daps
Reppin
MD
Do you guys reach out after an interview if you haven't heard anything in say a week or do you just let it ride and keep sending out apps. Do you set a baseline of time if the person didnt give a specific window?
I always send a thank you email after the interview along with asking what the next steps in the hiring process are.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Find a decent recruiter to do the dirty work, and then get an update email from them every few days.

I had like 3 recruiters from different companies working on my behalf for the job I just got:smugbiden:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Find a decent recruiter to do the dirty work, and then get an update email from them every few days.

I had like 3 recruiters from different companies working on my behalf for the job I just got:smugbiden:

word.

I think I see one gig reposted a few days after my interview :mjcry: idk if that is a bad sign or not though. I got another one that may still shake, but the one I think was reposted was the one I was going to send a follow up on. Funny enough a staffing agency recruiter I chatted with a while ago hit me up today saying she had a few roles for the company that reposted the gig, so I`m trying to see if one of those are the role I was gunning for.:mjcry:

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
My aim for the last five years was to go into ERP. Think the real money is in ERP and CRM systems. But Office365 sidetracked me a little bit and im afraid I will get stuck in the Office365 swamp. Luckily Microsoft is pushing everything towards the cloud :jbhmm: I dont have any tech certs at all actually, just ITIL and PRINCE2:francis: and PM is boring as hell tbh

Yeah they are coming up with Dynamics 365
mynicca1.png
. So jump on it, learn it and master breh, that's where the real deal is . PM is mad boring so I actually switched to Cybersecurity Sales
sabu.png

Spin

All Star
Daps
Attended my first "hacker" conference. I would advise anyone who is interested in security or IT at all to find one and go. Even better offer to volunteer. You can help set up, serve at the information desk, etc. Met more people than I can remember and the workshops were great. Got some practice with Linux, Python, Wireshark, and other tools used in the field. I volunteered with the networking team so I was able to help take down the access points, cables and other crap. It was good to see the equipment in person I have only been reading about since studying for these damn certs. And yes the experience is going on the resume :sas2:.

I know Black Hat and DefCon are coming up soon in Vegas. There are also a ton of smaller ones around the country. I personally like the smaller ones as the training I received was included in the ticket price.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Attended my first "hacker" conference. I would advise anyone who is interested in security or IT at all to find one and go. Even better offer to volunteer. You can help set up, serve at the information desk, etc. Met more people than I can remember and the workshops were great. Got some practice with Linux, Python, Wireshark, and other tools used in the field. I volunteered with the networking team so I was able to help take down the access points, cables and other crap. It was good to see the equipment in person I have only been reading about since studying for these damn certs. And yes the experience is going on the resume :sas2:.

I know Black Hat and DefCon are coming up soon in Vegas. There are also a ton of smaller ones around the country. I personally like the smaller ones as the training I received was included in the ticket price.

I took part in a CTF for college student. it was the hardest thing I've done in my life, but it was so much fun. Everything I learned from the CTF: Open Source Intelligence, Network Traffic Analysis, Log Analysis, Scanning & Reconnaissance, Wireless Access Exploitation, Cryptography, Password Cracking, Web Application Exploitation & Enumeration & Exploitation. Checkout www.meetup.com they have a bunch of cyber security meet ups, if you're in the dc area they have them almost ever week.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
word.

I think I see one gig reposted a few days after my interview :mjcry: idk if that is a bad sign or not though. I got another one that may still shake, but the one I think was reposted was the one I was going to send a follow up on. Funny enough a staffing agency recruiter I chatted with a while ago hit me up today saying she had a few roles for the company that reposted the gig, so I`m trying to see if one of those are the role I was gunning for.:mjcry:

Yea its a numbers game breh, keep the interviews and apps flowing and eventually you will get something. I had some people rejecting me for 6 month contracts while others offered fulltime gigs:yeshrug:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Its official brehs....Your boy is CCNP certified :ahh::ahh::ahh:

Passed Tshoot about 30 mins ago

0JkNz.gif

879/1000 not as high as I wanted but fukk it :banderas:It all counts the same

Thought I was gonna fail, an ipv6 question stumped me, took up more time on it than I wanted...I had about 13 questions left with 30 mins to go :damn::damn::damn::damn: I was sweating like crazy almost lost all focus

A few of those were multiple choice so i basically breezed through those and the last few tickets left were simple luckily

It feels good to have a CCNP under my belt now