IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Questions brehs. I'm interested in long-term goal getting into a career as a data scientist. I have a Bachelors in Economics and next fall going to start my Masters in Statistics. The main thing I'm missing that I want to add in between the time before I start my Masters and during are learning some programs. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I need to learn statistical software such as SAS, Python, and R. As well as somethings more CS focused like SQL and Java too if possible. Any recommendations on what type of things I can do online to learn those programs and is it possible to get some sort of certifications for learning those programs as proof you know them? Also would you recommend me just enrolling in some computer science courses at a local community college, if so which ones?

I'm currently taking a few courses on course.edx that go through data science, that can be used later to obtain a Microsoft Professional Degree in Data Science. Appreciate the help in advance brehs.

Buy a ton of books and go through them. Udemy also has some nice courses. Check out Head First Java. The key is to just get cracking on some actual programs so you can put it on your portfolio, and if you have some sort of online presence, whether it be a blog or youtube, then that's even better.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Buy a ton of books and go through them. Udemy also has some nice courses. Check out Head First Java. The key is to just get cracking on some actual programs so you can put it on your portfolio, and if you have some sort of online presence, whether it be a blog or youtube, then that's even better.

Any recommendations on where to get the books? Amazon?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Any recommendations on where to get the books? Amazon?

One of my best purchases has been getting a kindle... not the phone app, but the actual one that uses e-ink. The paperwhite is the one I have. Then, amazon has a ton of excellent books, and the beautiful thing is you get them immediately.

The head first books are better bought in paper form though because they have a ton of graphics that get mangled in the kindle version.

Udemy has a ton of excellent courses. For example, here is one on SQL
From 0 To 1:SQL And Databases - Heavy Lifting - Udemy

Here is a massive course on a lot of programming subjects:
Break Away: Programming And Coding Interviews - Udemy

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
One of my best purchases has been getting a kindle... not the phone app, but the actual one that uses e-ink. The paperwhite is the one I have. Then, amazon has a ton of excellent books, and the beautiful thing is you get them immediately.

The head first books are better bought in paper form though because they have a ton of graphics that get mangled in the kindle version.

Udemy has a ton of excellent courses. For example, here is one on SQL
From 0 To 1:SQL And Databases - Heavy Lifting - Udemy

Here is a massive course on a lot of programming subjects:
Break Away: Programming And Coding Interviews - Udemy

Thanks breh, time to get to work :salute:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
one of the guys on desk is getting promoted to a security engineer after years of him waiting for it and they're going to put me in the pole position for that (working on our IPS, some firewall shyt, more AD) :lupe:

Whats life in the security world like @Mainevent_7

any recs for certs/skill ups? i have my A+ and Net+ :patrice: looking at the CEH/OCSP stuff

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
one of the guys on desk is getting promoted to a security engineer after years of him waiting for it and they're going to put me in the pole position for that (working on our IPS, some firewall shyt, more AD) :lupe:

any recs for certs/skill ups? i have my A+ and Net+ :patrice: looking at the CEH/OCSP stuff

Get your CISSP or security+

Daps
Reppin
MD

any recs for certs/skill ups? i have my A+ and Net+ :patrice: looking at the CEH/OSCP stuff

Life is good, there is so much money out here to be made. I'm trying to get out of the non technical stuff like creating risk assessments, SSP and vulnerability analysis and get into a technical security role.

I might need to talk to you about a job since IPS, IDS, firewall and AD is what I'm looking to get into.

The next one to get would be the security+ but if you feel confident in your knowledge skip that and go for the CEH or CISSP. I've herd the OSCP is super tough and super expensive.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Anyone in here working with Azure and Office365?
worked as a technical project manager where I touched on the technology, and they kept pushing me towards it, especially Office365, so I did that for the last four years:francis:

I moved into consultancy instead and first assignment was a huge Office365 project:mjcry:now I'm thinking if I should go all in on that shyt even though its not challenging and semi boring :francis:
Pays OK but shyt might sky rocket one day especially since everything's moving towards cloud and networking

Go for it breh. I'm specialized and certified on Office 365, there's so much money coming that way. you can't even imagine.

The real thing is don't just do that. Try to understand the extra components like the CRM add ons, the project online add ons and all those other little stuff.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Thanks @bdizzle and anyone else for all the advice given here over the years. I've been in I.T for 3 years, i have my MCSA Server 2012 cert and wanted to jump into the I.T security field but i hear everyone in here saying you need at least 5yrs experience in I.T before you can sit for the CISSP. Should i get the Security+ cert for now or should I just try and get the MCSE2012 until i get to 5yrs experience? Kind of stuck on what path I should take

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thanks @bdizzle and anyone else for all the advice given here over the years. I've been in I.T for 3 years, i have my MCSA Server 2012 cert and wanted to jump into the I.T security field but i hear everyone in here saying you need at least 5yrs experience in I.T before you can sit for the CISSP. Should i get the Security+ cert for now or should I just try and get the MCSE2012 until i get to 5yrs experience? Kind of stuck on what path I should take

Finish your MCSE, then get your CISSP/Security+ (whatever you qualify for).

Your MCSE will help since youll be working with Windows, AD, and AD CS in security

Pacni99a12

All Star
Daps
I swear some of these recruiters out here retarded.

Offering all these jobs not in Houston even they i said im not relocating :what:

Offering $2 dollars more per hour when i've already said im not leaving unless it comes with a big pay increase:what:

Offering shyt that i have no interest or background in :what:
Yeah these recruiters dont gaf man. I remember when i didn't know better fresh out of college these recruiters would get me on interviews I had no business being on and wasn't a fit for at all. Lead to some very awkward phone interviews with me bombing.