IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Nice. I just had a conversation with my boss letting him know I need more technical experience. How did you go about getting these different jobs and higher pay, I'm looking to get more technical in the security field but lack the job experience.
Tbh everything i've learned came from work/learning on the job.

One job i was working phone tech support for Sprint for almost 2 years, so that would be under the telecom domain. Making $9.75 plus sales bonus

Then i worked two years at a ISP call center doing tech support/basic internet security making $11.72. Got fed up with that shyt after my manager at the time told me about missing too many days and if i wanted to be here long term(I didn't) i couldn't miss any more days, s i finally forced myself to get my A+.

Once i passed that i started putting out feelers to Houston and got a great response. I actually landed a job out there at $17 an hour but couldn't afford the move. But at the same time ended up getting an offer in Baton Rouge at $28 an hour for what was supposed to be 2 months but went for 15.

Thats where i really learned a lot of in depth shyt as far servers, desktop, security, encryption, medical software, etc.

Silkk

Daps
Fed up with my current situation. Changed me to this wack ass 12-9 schedule. Every fukking day my manager sends out some annoying ass email/makes changes to shyt that don't need to be changed. I fukking HATE having a female manager:snoop:

This is my CISSP motivation :fire:

Daps
Reppin
MD
Tbh everything i've learned came from work/learning on the job.

One job i was working phone tech support for Sprint for almost 2 years, so that would be under the telecom domain. Making $9.75 plus sales bonus

Then i worked two years at a ISP call center doing tech support/basic internet security making $11.72. Got fed up with that shyt after my manager at the time told me about missing too many days and if i wanted to be here long term(I didn't) i couldn't miss any more days, s i finally forced myself to get my A+.

Once i passed that i started putting out feelers to Houston and got a great response. I actually landed a job out there at $17 an hour but couldn't afford the move. But at the same time ended up getting an offer in Baton Rouge at $28 an hour for what was supposed to be 2 months but went for 15.

Thats where i really learned a lot of in depth shyt as far servers, desktop, security, encryption, medical software, etc.
I work for one of the tech consulting firm now but the work I do is not technical at all. I want a change but I'm not willing to take a pay cut to do so.

I need a job like you had in Baton Rouge. What type of job was that?

Silkk

Daps
I work for one of the tech consulting firm now but the work I do is not technical at all. I want a change but I'm not willing to take a pay cut to do so.

I need a job like you had in Baton Rouge. What type of job was that?
It was help desk pretty much, but it was way more technical than the service desk shyt im doing now.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Well, this sucks. My boss dropped a bomb on me today. He got a new job and he'll be gone in 2 weeks. When I first started, he made this big ass spreadsheet with a bunch of stuff I was gonna learn. And he said it was just the basics\the beginning. There was even talk of me having learning time on the clock. I've only been on the job since April and I missed a month because of jury duty.

This puts me in a strange position. I'm going to be the only support person in the NYC office until he gets replaced. How long is that gonna take? All the other more senior Ops people are DevOps engineers and in other countries. We have a video conference at 8pm* every Mondays and Wednesdays (i attend on Wednesdays) and everything they talk about is over my head.

My boss is a good guy and I wish him the best... but this sucks.

*Yes, this is outside of normal work hours for me
Sounds like you gonna have to learn the topics from the spreadsheet ya self :wow:

Silkk

Daps
Yea but last one was more the Senior Dev explaining the onboarding process, and giving me the hint that the company was probably preparing an offer. Which is what I received today.
Whats the number? :dame:

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna be coming into work Monday on some

tumblr_mfr9pvkzfM1ra53sgo1_500.gif

Yeah, We all family in here:yes:

Sent figure in pm breh

Last edited: