IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol wont lie when I graduted College IBM offered me a contract gig but it was like a 3 yr to Potential hire type of situation, i just couldnt get jiggy with uncertainty, and even know i hear stories about contractors being treated like crap.
Benefits aside because some staffing agencies will carry your health, a perm job is no different from a contract to hire. If you fuk up or they're tired of you...theyll find a way to get u outta there:comeon:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Benefits aside because some staffing agencies will carry your health, a perm job is no different from a contract to hire. If you fuk up or they're tired of you...theyll find a way to get u outta there:comeon:

Nah i hear horror stories of staffing agencies, and i rarely hear of companies actually hiring the people they have on the contract to hire gigs

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Lol wont lie when I graduted College IBM offered me a contract gig but it was like a 3 yr to Potential hire type of situation, i just couldnt get jiggy with uncertainty, and even know i hear stories about contractors being treated like crap.

Scared money don't make none, bruh. You gotta be willing to bet on yourself. You can't have fear if you trying to get $$$$. Thats what separate the 6 figure cats from the rest. The 6 figure cats gonna bet on themselves EVERY time while the other cats settle for security and familiarity.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Exactly what I did at my current gig. Started @ a 6 month and been here for 5 years.

I got a homie that graduated from ITT tech thats been bouncing from entry level contract to contract because he refuses to get his knowledge weight up :ufdup:

Confidence is good, but some folks want the pay without putting in proper work

These types can't be helped

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Nah i hear horror stories of staffing agencies, and i rarely hear of companies actually hiring the people they have on the contract to hire gigs

If I have someone on contract to perm and they're wack, why would I hire them full-time?

Again my advice is for cats that are about their skill and can get down anywhere. If you're average at what you do, my advice don't apply...

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
If I have someone on contract to perm and they're wack, why would I hire them full-time?

Again my advice is for cats that are about their skill and can get down anywhere. If you're average at what you do, my advice don't apply...

Thing is why hire full time when you can keep them on contracts because its cheaper and i can not renew if i want to cut budget much easier than laying someone off.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thing is why hire full time when you can keep them on contracts because its cheaper and i can not renew if i want to cut budget much easier than laying someone off.

:what: since when have contracts been cheaper than perm employees? What type of positions you talking about, lol? Companies do contract to perm because people talk that talk and can't really perform. No offense but I don't think my advice apply to you breh.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:what: since when have contracts been cheaper than perm employees? What type of positions you talking about, lol? Companies do contract to perm because people talk that talk and can't really perform. No offense but I don't think my advice apply to you breh.

We bring on contractors only for big projects to save money on hiring someone that wont be needed once the project is in production. Im in Software dev most the dudes in this thread arent from the look of it. Even then Im talking about what i have heard when it came to contract work, is it like that? Idk? Dont care to find out either, id rather hop around taking perm jobs as a form of salary bumps/promotions than do contract, thats me though.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
We bring on contractors only for big projects to save money on hiring someone that wont be needed once the project is in production. Im in Software dev most the dudes in this thread arent from the look of it. Even then Im talking about what i have heard when it came to contract work, is it like that? Idk? Dont care to find out either, id rather hop around taking perm jobs as a form of salary bumps/promotions than do contract, thats me though.

All I'll say is learn to see the bigger picture, the world is WAY bigger than what's going on in ur organization, lol. If that's how you prefer to roll, then what can I say :yeshrug:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
All I'll say is learn to see the bigger picture, the world is WAY bigger than what's going on in ur organization, lol. If that's how you prefer to roll, then what can I say :yeshrug:
Of course it is, which is why i im including stuff i have heard from others like i said at the end of the day all that stuff is job hopping, im saying i prefer to hop around to other full time perm gigs opposed to contracts. Literally the same concept just different methods to approaching.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Anybody here have any experience with VOIP stuff?

For the last few months I've been given the task of managing our fukk ass VOIP server/gateway and it's been a pain. :snoop:

Anytime somebody complains about static/dropped calls/echo/etc I have to deal with it...not fun. We're thinking about switching to SIP trunks (right now we use a PRI line) but I'm not too sure how reliable it is.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Is my A+ worthless in Florida? I can't find a helpdesk pc repair job for shyt, I got 3k saved up... I'm thinking of making that move to Atlanta or Dallas and just grinding on the street. I don't know, I'm older but I'm not happy with this shyt down here at all.

I got a 2 year degree, something just ain't right. I just taught myself HTML and CSS, gonna get a blog open and see what's not to do.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Is my A+ worthless in Florida? I can't find a helpdesk pc repair job for shyt, I got 3k saved up... I'm thinking of making that move to Atlanta or Dallas and just grinding on the street. I don't know, I'm older but I'm not happy with this shyt down here at all.

I got a 2 year degree, something just ain't right. I just taught myself HTML and CSS, gonna get a blog open and see what's not to do.

What kind of experience you got?

Even with no experience, if you have your associates degree and A+ you should be qualified for an entry-level IT job. But if you don't have any hands-on experience you might have to start with a helpdesk (ie. phone support) job before going to desktop support. Still, if you're not getting calls back then either -

1. Your resume ain't cutting it
2. Job market is shytty where you live
3. You're applying for jobs you're not qualified for

I'd say look at your resume first as that's the most likely problem (I'd be willing to look at it if you want). Also, you might have to just start from the bottom. My first IT job (when I was 20 and still in college with no degree or certs) was in a call center taking tech support calls for an Internet provider. Was annoying but you gotta start somewhere...I'd say start looking for call center/phone support jobs.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs do you all guys send your resume in for positions you may not be qualified for or involving software you have not used and just research the stuff prior to a potential interview? or is that setting yourself up to fall?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Brehs do you all guys send your resume in for positions you may not be qualified for or involving software you have not used and just research the stuff prior to a potential interview? or is that setting yourself up to fall?

9 times out of 10 those job position postings are made up by HR people who have no idea what they are looking for. If you have most of what they are looking for, I see no harm in applying. You never know.

But be on top of your game, that's what technical interviews are for :ufdup: