IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is the position really geared toward "Network Engineering" as in routers/switches? I ask because I see tons on Network Engineering job postings that are really System jobs. I find that a lot companies/recruiters can't distinguish between the two.
This one is fully network admin here's the description:
  • Assist with the installation and support of network communications, including LAN/WAN systems.
  • Follow standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations involving readily identifiable problems.
  • Assist in the planning of large scale systems projects through vendor comparison and cost studies.
  • Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or working on it.
  • Perform connecting and troubleshooting Local Area Networks (LAN) network users and systems
  • Set up and configure Cisco Routers and Switches
  • Setup and install of Uninterruptable Power Systems (UPS)
  • Troubleshoot and set up networks devices, have an understanding of LANs, Spanning-Tree Protocols (STP) and connectivity for all network devices Including computers and printers.
  • Has an understanding of IP subnets.
  • Possesses a basic understanding Cisco Wi-Fi connectivity.
  • Possesses a basic understanding Network Management System
  • Run cable and terminating (Ethernet RJ45) lines for networking and telecommunications cabling in Datacenter
  • Working with cable testing equipment.

Yea I agree, some recruiters cant distinguish. Alot of sys admin jobs require atleast some switch and router work so it never hurts to learn

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Brehs I'm at an impasse in my career right now. I'm about to leave the helpdesk but its a dilemma doing so.

Long story: Ive been at a level 1/2 role for the last 5 years with most experience being in software/ system analysis side such as basic MS exchange config, Active Directory, configuring Cisco phones, NTFS file permissions, general helpdesk shyt. I have a small amount of exp with configuring switches and really basic iOS commands and there's recruiter in my city pushing to get me a role as a network engineer here with a $15k raise from my current job.

However, I'm ready to move to Atlanta and in the long run I think I would prefer something on the System Admin track where I figure jobs will be more abundant. Anyone have any advice for someone that has the opportunity to work as a Network Engineer (and eventually Network Admin) vs System Admin role?

I've been in Atlanta for 5 years and the Atlanta job market is pretty good (I have 10 years of AD/Networking/Security experience fyi). If your goal is to move to Atlanta I'd recommend saving up about 5-10k, then start applying for jobs in the A (that's what I did). That way even if you get a contract that ends after 6 months, you should have at least 10k saved up so you can pay bills/survive until you land your next gig.

IMO, there's just as many Sys Admin jobs as Network Admin jobs. Just make sure you get the right certifications (CCNP, MCSE, etc) and make sure your resume is tailored to the position you want.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been in Atlanta for 5 years and the Atlanta job market is pretty good (I have 10 years of AD/Networking/Security experience fyi). If your goal is to move to Atlanta I'd recommend saving up about 5-10k, then start applying for jobs in the A (that's what I did). That way even if you get a contract that ends after 6 months, you should have at least 10k saved up so you can pay bills/survive until you land your next gig.

IMO, there's just as many Sys Admin jobs as Network Admin jobs. Just make sure you get the right certifications (CCNP, MCSE, etc) and make sure your resume is tailored to the position you want.
Thats real. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about a 6 month contract to hire opportunity for a jr sys admin role w/a 50-60% increase from what Im currently making (health benefits but no vacation days :sadcam:). I dont make enough to have the luxury of saving $5-10k so eventually Ill make that leap of faith... Gonna keep sorting thru dice.com and linkedin until I find the right fit

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Thats real. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about a 6 month contract to hire opportunity for a jr sys admin role w/a 50-60% increase from what Im currently making (health benefits but no vacation days :sadcam:). I dont make enough to have the luxury of saving $5-10k so eventually Ill make that leap of faith... Gonna keep sorting thru dice.com and linkedin until I find the right fit

How much you making right now breh? I'm assuming you should be making at least 40-50k by now.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Yea, Im at 50

If that's the case, what you could do is get a contract gig in Atlanta (something 6-12 months minimum) and just stack your money while your working. When I first started doing contract work that's what I did. That way your lifestyle won't have to change and you can save money at the same time.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If that's the case, what you could do is get a contract gig in Atlanta (something 6-12 months minimum) and just stack your money while your working. When I first started doing contract work that's what I did. That way your lifestyle won't have to change and you can save money at the same time.
This is what my fam was saying...I was against it at first but the more I think about it, I could have 6 months to get something lined up in the event that they decide not to retain me or if I just flat out dont like the job

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This is what my fam was saying...I was against it at first but the more I think about it, I could have 6 months to get something lined up in the event that they decide not to retain me or if I just flat out dont like the job

Yeah, that's exactly how I did it. And the best part is if you get a new gig or get your contract extended you now sitting on a couple stacks to use as a damn payment for a house or pay off some debts.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Yep. I don't see why contracts get the hate. Smart nikkas that got skill know how to work them joints. ESPECIALLY when you getting paid C2C.

For instance, on them contract-to-perm joints, you go in, peep the scene, and you show out. When it's time to become perm and you don't like the company, you force their hand and say you want more $ or you bounce and go off to the next spot...

This only apply to cats with skills though. If you trash you'll fukk around and get axed quick on a contract.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yep. I don't see why contracts get the hate. Smart nikkas that got skill know how to work them joints. ESPECIALLY when you getting paid C2C.

For instance, on them contract-to-perm joints, you go in, peep the scene, and you show out. When it's time to become perm and you don't like the company, you force their hand and say you want more $ or you bounce and go off to the next spot...

This only apply to cats with skills though. If you trash you'll fukk around and get axed quick on a contract.

Lol wont lie when I graduted College IBM offered me a contract gig but it was like a 3 yr to Potential hire type of situation, i just couldnt get jiggy with uncertainty, and even know i hear stories about contractors being treated like crap.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Exactly what I did at my current gig. Started @ a 6 month and been here for 5 years.

I got a homie that graduated from ITT tech thats been bouncing from entry level contract to contract because he refuses to get his knowledge weight up :ufdup:

Confidence is good, but some folks want the pay without putting in proper work