IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
9 times out of 10 those job position postings are made up by HR people who have no idea what they are looking for. If you have most of what they are looking for, I see no harm in applying. You never know.

But be on top of your game, that's what technical interviews are for :ufdup:

Im not looking for work, but I want to make sure my resume doesn't become dated, from being comfortable in my current role. So I want to teach my self some new stuff/ use this Masters my company is going to pay for to take classes and pick up some stuff that will make my resume stronger.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Brehs, how do I put my computer support technician experience on my resume? It wasn't a actually job but I went around helping friends and family with computer problems, malware removal, PC repairs, component upgrades, etc...

Last edited:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
You can depending on where you applying to. I would recommend it against big corporations though

Can you point me to a example of a resume where someone did this? I'm a international student so maybe I can get away with it... :lupe:

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Any brehs here that have experience doing software contracting?

I'm about to graduate and I've been thinking about working as a software contractor as opposed to an in-house developer. Is it something you would recommend for a fresh graduate?

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Brehs, how do I put my computer support technician experience on my resume? It wasn't a actually job but I went around helping friends and family with computer problems, malware removal, PC repairs, component upgrades, etc...
My wife spent time as an IT recruiter. She says just note you were "self-employed", they'll look the company you put down up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Would you guys say SQL and JAVA are the two most flexible skills to have on your resume?

In terms of jobs, Java is leading the way in the programming world in the corporate environment and SQL styled databases are the most widely used, so yeah those are the most popular skills... What I would say to learn is the skill that is most likely to keep you programming though. Javascript is growing rapidly and I love the quickness of how you can develop things on the web. You're most likely going to have to pick up JS in addition to Java, C# or whatever other language you'll be using primarily because most things are on the web now and you have to deal with JS on the front-end.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
In terms of jobs, Java is leading the way in the programming world in the corporate environment and SQL styled databases are the most widely used, so yeah those are the most popular skills... What I would say to learn is the skill that is most likely to keep you programming though. Javascript is growing rapidly and I love the quickness of how you can develop things on the web. You're most likely going to have to pick up JS in addition to Java, C# or whatever other language you'll be using primarily because most things are on the web now and you have to deal with JS on the front-end.

Im not trying to become a programmer, Im a BA now and want to stay on the business side, however as i get into a senior role i figured if i wanted to explore the job market it would be beneficial to have more technical understanding. I understand OOP and the logic behind it so learning new languages wont be hard as i was good at programming in college its just im rusty as hell and want to be sharp as IT is easy to get left behind in. I noticed older cats get comfy in their roles and then get stuck because they are unwilling to learn new things

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Im not trying to become a programmer, Im a BA now and want to stay on the business side, however as i get into a senior role i figured if i wanted to explore the job market it would be beneficial to have more technical understanding. I understand OOP and the logic behind it so learning new languages wont be hard as i was good at programming in college its just im rusty as hell and want to be sharp as IT is easy to get left behind in. I noticed older cats get comfy in their roles and then get stuck because they are unwilling to learn new things

You'll probably be better served with Python as it is quite a bit simpler than Java and you can use it to automate tasks and it will keep your programming skills sharp without you having to invest a ton of time keeping up with everything. Mastering Excel and VBA would help a lot if you're dealing a lot of with spreadsheets and analyzing data off of that. SQL would be a nice skill to keep sharp as well.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Should I make up my own company as the employer?

I lied about working for a company once and even had a friend play as my supervisor and it went all bad. they did a background check and didn't see anything about it on my record and withdrew their offer so be careful if you go that route.

you should just write that you were self-employed and got work from family, friends, ads you posted on craigslist and word of mouth.