IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

spoiled

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I assume it runs better than a virtual machine since it using the Macs full hardware resources and not allocated resources? Also I assume there are no issues when it comes to drivers for using things like printers and such?
bootcamp software will have all the drivers needed to run windows on mac. you can install any driver thats needed as if it were a standalone windows pc

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Programming, I have a MAcbook Pro, but I hear running Windows via Virtual Machine isn't all that great when you get into extensive work. I know I could run Bootcamp, but kinda just want to have a separate Windows machine to avoid all hassles. I saw this at Best buy and seemed like a good price as it was loaded with Ram and the AMD A10 is supposed to be the equivalent to an i5 processor (albeit less powerful).
New! Asus - 15.6" Laptop - AMD A10-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Gray

Also saw this for 329
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15...lack/6374138.p?id=1219661390049&skuId=6374138

this 6gb ram, and an intel i3 processor

I was in the same boat as you. I built a cheap windows machine with an AMD apu. Go with the AMD if you can save some bucks. It's always good to have money than one pc, if you can afford it.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
They have a jquery 8 week course at the job....Im thinking Im gonna learn something new....2 weeks in I see I know more than the teacher :youngsabo:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs I'm at an impasse in my career right now. I'm about to leave the helpdesk but its a dilemma doing so.

Long story: Ive been at a level 1/2 role for the last 5 years with most experience being in software/ system analysis side such as basic MS exchange config, Active Directory, configuring Cisco phones, NTFS file permissions, general helpdesk shyt. I have a small amount of exp with configuring switches and really basic iOS commands and there's recruiter in my city pushing to get me a role as a network engineer here with a $15k raise from my current job.

However, I'm ready to move to Atlanta and in the long run I think I would prefer something on the System Admin track where I figure jobs will be more abundant. Anyone have any advice for someone that has the opportunity to work as a Network Engineer (and eventually Network Admin) vs System Admin role?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs I'm at an impasse in my career right now. I'm about to leave the helpdesk but its a dilemma doing so.

Long story: Ive been at a level 1/2 role for the last 5 years with most experience being in software/ system analysis side such as basic MS exchange config, Active Directory, configuring Cisco phones, NTFS file permissions, general helpdesk shyt. I have a small amount of exp with configuring switches and really basic iOS commands and there's recruiter in my city pushing to get me a role as a network engineer here with a $15k raise from my current job.

However, I'm ready to move to Atlanta and in the long run I think I would prefer something on the System Admin track where I figure jobs will be more abundant. Anyone have any advice for someone that has the opportunity to work as a Network Engineer (and eventually Network Admin) vs System Admin role?
Take better role and while in that role look for eqivalent in atl

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Im heavily considering it but is it even worth the hassle to change jobs if Im gonna be there for less than 4-6 months

Why are you in a rush to go to ATL? Is this a full time job or contract? Either way take the job and get experience, ATL aint going no where and coming to the city without a job is idiotic.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why are you in a rush to go to ATL? Is this a full time job or contract? Either way take the job and get experience, ATL aint going no where and coming to the city without a job is idiotic.
No doubt, I cant think of a situation where I'd even consider going there without a job. The rush is because I'm feeling like I'm cheating myself at the helpdesk livin check-to-check, making $50k-ish:francis: when I know I'm worth atleast $70k:feedme:.

I literally surf the web and watch CBT nuggets all day:ehh:, not getting much hands on experience tho :to:. I'm in a slower big/little city getting closer to washed status everyday :flabbynsick:

...meanwhile a couple of hours away, ATL awaits where its the money:sas1: the cars:sas2: and the hoes :blessed: :myman:

my bad for the long post, just feelin optimistic about the future brehs

semtex

:)
Daps
Indians be writing their code in the most convoluted way possible and then can't explain it because they don't have the English to do so :snoop: that also affects their naming conventions.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
No doubt, I cant think of a situation where I'd even consider going there without a job. The rush is because I'm feeling like I'm cheating myself at the helpdesk livin check-to-check, making $50k-ish:francis: when I know I'm worth atleast $70k:feedme:.

I literally surf the web and watch CBT nuggets all day:ehh:, not getting much hands on experience tho :to:. I'm in a slower big/little city getting closer to washed status everyday :flabbynsick:

...meanwhile a couple of hours away, ATL awaits where its the money:sas1: the cars:sas2: and the hoes :blessed: :myman:

my bad for the long post, just feelin optimistic about the future brehs

Imo ATL aint all gonna pay you good unless you have experience to demand pay. Companies know cost of living is lower compared to places like Cali DC And NY So companies will try under pay you unless you have the experience where they know they dont have time to BS you because you are in demand

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Indians be writing their code in the most convoluted way possible and then can't explain it because they don't have the English to do so :snoop: that also affects their naming conventions.

Lololol Im a BA and when I see how some of our old programs were named and the logic used Im just like :mjlol::scust:, makes my job harder when it comes to developing stuff for existing functionality because dudes are trying to show off how skilled they are writing complex code for basic stuff.

krexzen

All Star
Daps

Is the position really geared toward "Network Engineering" as in routers/switches? I ask because I see tons on Network Engineering job postings that are really System jobs. I find that a lot companies/recruiters can't distinguish between the two.