IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@CashmereEsquire What was your career path to becoming a BA? I'm looking to become a BA but don't have much of a technical background. I'm currently a Market Analyst

I got a JR role out of college and a yr later got promoted , prior to that most my jobs during college were wireless sales and help desk roles. I noticed BA Jobs will have technical requirements more so just to make sure you will understand concepts that may deal with the role you take, so i dont think its necessary to be as deep in the know of something as if you were trying to be a programmer but basic functional knowledge of the things a company is asking for would be enough and give you something to stand on in an interview/your resume. I wont lie getting that JR role blessed me as those types of positions are when companies take a chance on people with not much experience, its once you get the role yoh show your worth and get promoted/experience. I think with IT in general when you get your first role its good to stay for 4 or 5 yrs to soak up experience and to make your resume look stronger and then once you have that experience go on to try go move into senior roles either inside or outside your company since you have the crucial experience. There are BAs at my job that are 2-3 times my age and arent really that "smart" but due to their expererience they can demand higher roles.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
I got a JR role out of college and a yr later got promoted , prior to that most my jobs during college were wireless sales and help desk roles. I noticed BA Jobs will have technical requirements more so just to make sure you will understand concepts that may deal with the role you take, so i dont think its necessary to be as deep in the know of something as if you were trying to be a programmer but basic functional knowledge of the things a company is asking for would be enough and give you something to stand on in an interview/your resume. I wont lie getting that JR role blessed me as those types of positions are when companies take a chance on people with not much experience, its once you get the role yoh show your worth and get promoted/experience. I think with IT in general when you get your first role its good to stay for 4 or 5 yrs to soak up experience and to make your resume look stronger and then once you have that experience go on to try go move into senior roles either inside or outside your company since you have the crucial experience. There are BAs at my job that are 2-3 times my age and arent really that "smart" but due to their expererience they can demand higher roles.
What JR role did you do? What job titles should I look at when applying

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I applied for a job and got an email about moving forward with my application. In the email, they asked me about salary. I said 46k-54k. They indicated that the max salary was 45k and asked me if I was still interested. I said I was. That was days ago. I think I blew it.
:francis:

I went a little high with the salary because the job ad indicated that there'd be only one tech on-site.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Any brehs here that have experience doing software contracting?

I'm about to graduate and I've been thinking about working as a software contractor as opposed to an in-house developer. Is it something you would recommend for a fresh graduate?

I would recommend in-house first. One you are going to be a Jr programmer and need experience. Unless it's a temp to hire position( or you are coming out of say MIT), consultants positions are usually more reserved for very experienced developers. Like 5-10yrs+ of professional experience.

For example we have developers onsite from Red Hat and Microsoft and they play a more mentor role than anything.

Edit:forgot to add, if you really really want to skip being tied to one company, there are a couple of freelancer websites out there. You can start by doing projects for small companies etc. I've seen a couple of people build up their resume that way.

Last edited:

semtex

:)
Daps
Any brehs here that have experience doing software contracting?

I'm about to graduate and I've been thinking about working as a software contractor as opposed to an in-house developer. Is it something you would recommend for a fresh graduate?
I'm a contractor. Take a full time job if you can. As a contractor, training isn't funded for me so I've been on my own for the most part as far as learning the product I'm working on. I also don't get certain software dev tools that full timers get.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I'm a contractor. Take a full time job if you can. As a contractor, training isn't funded for me so I've been on my own for the most part as far as learning the product I'm working on. I also don't get certain software dev tools that full timers get.

Damn...all our contractors use our tools...they just have to go through me if they want shyt approved or moved to production...
:sas1:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Brehs. Udemy.com is running a ton of sales right now. Most courses are going for $20. But if you use the coupon code "Think1010" you can get any course for $10. It expires tomorrow 6/30

If the code doesn't work. You can google it, I racked up about 6 courses this week.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs. Udemy.com is running a ton of sales right now. Most courses are going for $20. But if you use the coupon code "Think1010" you can get any course for $10. It expires tomorrow 6/30

If the code doesn't work. You can google it, I racked up about 6 courses this week.

How does this week? You pick what tou want and take them on your own time?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
How does this week? You pick what tou want and take them on your own time?

Yup. Just have to create an account ( it's free ). When you go to buy the course , just enter the coupon code. All of them are previously recorded.. They also give you 30 days to return a course. Some of the courses on there run up to $499.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yup. Just have to create an account ( it's free ). When you go to buy the course , just enter the coupon code. All of them are previously recorded.. They also give you 30 days to return a course. Some of the courses on there run up to $499.
Im at work now and will peep when i get home, what kinda stff is on there? Mainly programming languages? Im about to enter grad school in the fall and planned on tairloring my courses to get skills needed for my resume, but im sure i may find some useful stuff on that site also

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Im at work now and will peep when i get home, what kinda stff is on there? Mainly programming languages? Im about to enter grad school in the fall and planned on tairloring my courses to get skills needed for my resume, but im sure i may find some useful stuff on that site also

Programming
Math/physics/general sci.
Exercise/nutrition
Art ( 3d animation , drawing etc )
Languages ( Spanish, French etc )
MS office
Cyber security

A ton of stuff really. Just go by the ratings of each course before buying.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I had an interview today for a level 1 tech position. Two seconds into it and I knew I didn't want it. IT department's in the basement. And there's only 5 L1 techs for ~10,000 users.

I've got a 30-minute phone interview and then an in-person interview at another place as soon as it's over. I'm gonna have to do the phone interview in a nearby Starbucks or something.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Any of you brehs know any thing about chase tech ops technicans? I just landed a gig there but I can't find any insight on glassdoor about this position