Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I agree, but let's be honest. You need LESS talent around a guy like say... Dirk/Duncan/Shaq or Kobe/Wade/Bron to win a title than the talent you would need around a guy like.... CP3 or Deron or Rondo.

Those pass-first, distributing PGs can't be your number 1 option. They can't be your go-to guy. They can't be your highest paid player. Which is what I think is the point of this thread. All Dirk needed was a couple defensive players in Chandler and Marion and shooters. That was enough.

Now let's talk about what CP3 or Deron would need to have a playoff run including sweeping the lakers, beating OKC with harden-westbrook-durant, and then beating the Big 3 in Miami. Those dudes would still need another $15mil+ first option scorer. And then the argument is made that you could just do it with the scorer and use the money you spent on the elite PG to get complimentary pieces.

My brother is a Chris Paul Stan and he says

"Well Chris can lead a team to a ring he just needs a dominant scorer next to him... Like a carmelo anthony"

I said well that's the problem. Chris can't be that dominant scorer for his team himself

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The NBA doesn't work like that, we all know only certain players honestly deserve the max, that doesn't stop GMs from throwing them out there left and right. Also, what stops people from getting into the "All time great" lists are titles, CP3 has arguably the best stats in the modern era for a PG yet we won't talk about him being one of the top 15-20 players ever until he wins rings, right? He's a top 10 talent in the league and has regularly been the best player in the league at his position, why then is it so difficult to build a team around him, after all if he gets a title or two you'll hear that "ATG" talk pop up.

The PG spot is hard to build around, everyone keeps saying "What about if you dropped Xyz" onto some other team where that PG would no longer be the best player.

I don't think a PG like Paul would work with LeBron, if you said Curry or Kyrie, guys who are closer to SGs I'd say yeah.

Even with titles, CP3 is not going to be a top 15 player all-time, let alone the best PG in the modern era. GMs overpay for size and wings that show any pulse of creating their own shot before they do the average PG, what are you really talking about here?

no shyt, Magic was mentioned in the first post. Also Magic was 6'8" or so, meaning he could guard 4 positions and play 4 positions. You cant say that about a guy like Chris Paul.

But yeah, there arent more than 8 players worth the max in the current NBA. The point is that there isnt an equivalent to an elite wing or big at the point guard position. Even CP3 isnt as much of a difference maker as an elite wing or center.

DUH! CP3 isn't Tim Duncan or Lebron...that was really tough to figure out.. If you aren't lucky to sign the wings and bigmen out of that 8 to a max then you go after the next productive players, which happen to be CP3, Westbrook,etc..If you want a fair comparison, you compare top 15 wingmen and bigmen to top 15 PG, all-time.

Daps
I agree, but let's be honest. You need LESS talent around a guy like say... Dirk/Duncan/Shaq or Kobe/Wade/Bron to win a title than the talent you would need around a guy like.... CP3 or Deron or Rondo.
Why are you using the greatest top 20 players as the common rule over players like CP3, Deron and Rondo?

:mindblown:

Those pass-first, distributing PGs can't be your number 1 option. They can't be your go-to guy. They can't be your highest paid player. Which is what I think is the point of this thread. All Dirk needed was a couple defensive players in Chandler and Marion and shooters. That was enough.

Now that is another argument all together. Case in point, Thunder have a better shot with Westbrook than they do with CP3. Past the fact the Dirk is a top 20 player, he had the 'right' mix of players to suit his game.

Now let's talk about what CP3 or Deron would need to have a playoff run including sweeping the lakers, beating OKC with harden-westbrook-durant, and then beating the Big 3 in Miami. Those dudes would still need another $15mil+ first option scorer. And then the argument is made that you could just do it with the scorer and use the money you spent on the elite PG to get complimentary pieces.

9 times out of 10 a big man needs the same, just the same as Durant needs Westbrook. use that same logic with Shaq, wouldn't he still need Kobe to go through a title run like that?

How many instances in recent history (30 years) have there been where ONE 2-guard, small forward, PF or center have won a title without having a player that's provided the same (or near) impact?

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Why are you using the greatest top 20 players as the common rule over players like CP3, Deron and Rondo?

:mindblown:

Now that is another argument all together. Case in point, Thunder have a better shot with Westbrook than they do with CP3. Past the fact the Dirk is a top 20 player, he had the 'right' mix of players to suit his game.

9 times out of 10 a big man needs the same, just the same as Durant needs Westbrook. use that same logic with Shaq, wouldn't he still need Kobe to go through a title run like that?

How many instances in recent history (30 years) have there been where ONE 2-guard, small forward, PF or center have won a title without having a player that's provided the same (or near) impact?
I'm using the modern big names just for argument sake. To make it more "fair," let me try something else.

Wouldn't you say it would be easier to build a title team around an anchor like Drummond, Cousins, Horford, Davis, or Aldridge moving forward? Over a guy like Deron or Wall or Kyrie or Lillard? Simply because of their size, ability to get rebounds, blocks, influence opposing team shots around the rim, and be go-to scorers (except for Davis and Drummond so far)? With somebody like Deron, Rondo, Wall, Kyrie, Lillard, Holliday, or Curry, you still need a lot of other things. And those PGs, as good as they are, will be eating up 20-30% of your cap. Just look at the PGs these past champions have won with.

When Dirk and the Mavs won their title, you could make the argument that their best PG was JJ Barea :scusthov:
Only things that Kidd did better than Barea was defending his man and running the offense. Although running the offense is questionable since a lot of our offense was pretty simple: 2 man game and staggering picks for Dirk and Jet. I don't think it's just coincidence that perhaps the only team who's best player was a PG to win a title in recent memory was the 04 Pistons. And even that can be argued.

At the end of the day, you still need a complete team to win a title. No doubt. But it's probably the most unlikely to do so when you blow 20-30% of your cap on a Star PG. Not because the position has no value, or the player sucks, or anything like that. But simply because having an above average wing/frontcourt player is more important than having an above average PG.

Unless his name is Magic :manny:

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
d'antoni would have won a ring with cp3 in place of nash

not many players in general are worth the max. over half the guys making the max dont deserve it

Daps
I'm using the modern big names just for argument sake. To make it more "fair," let me try something else.

Wouldn't you say it would be easier to build a title team around an anchor like Drummond, Cousins, Horford, Davis, or Aldridge moving forward? Over a guy like Wall or Kyrie or Lillard? Simply because of their size, ability to get rebounds, blocks, influence opposing team shots around the rim, and be go-to scorers (except for Davis...)? With somebody like Wall, Kyrie, Lillard, Holliday, or Curry, you still need a lot of other things. And those PGs, as good as they are, will be eating up 20-30% of your cap. Just look at the PGs these past champions have won with.
Nah I don't, for a # of reasons.

i) it's easier to build around a player who is more talented and has more ability than position they play.
ii) Even with Drummond, Cousins, Davis and Aldridge you still need a lot of other things. Not giving a PG 30% of the salary is not quantifiable by suggesting that an anchor can potentially provide more impact from rebounds, blocks/influence shots and be go-to scorers vs playmaking and scoring.
iii) 90+% of leaders on title teams have always had a player that has provided near the same impact.
iv) You mention 'anchors' but no talk of 2s and 3s - is there any noticeable difference that would make Harden (a so-called elite SG) a better player to build around than Westbrook?

When Dirk and the Mavs won their title, you could make the argument that their best PG was JJ Barea :scusthov:
Only things that Kidd did better than Barea was defending his man and running the offense. Although running the offense is questionable since a lot of our offense was pretty simple: 2 man game and staggering picks for Dirk and Jet. I don't think it's just coincidence that perhaps the only team who's best player was a PG to win a title in recent memory was the 04 Pistons. And even that can be argued.

Dirk is not the rule though.

How many other SGs, SFs, PFs and Cs have won titles in the same manner in the last 30 seasons?

At the end of the day, you still need a complete team to win a title. No doubt. But it's probably the most unlikely to do so when you blow 20-30% of your cap on a Star PG. Not because the position has no value, or the player sucks, or anything like that. But simply because having an above average wing/frontcourt player is more important than having an above average PG.

No it's most unlikely to do so if you blow it on the lesser talented player - regardless of position. Even if the best wing/frontcourt player is better to build around than the best PG (providing the wing is the better player), that doesn't mean to say that PG isn't worth building around or worth the max - because that PG could still provide more impact and be of more value than 95% of the rest of the wing players and big men in the league.

That's why I don't like this argument at all, because to say Westbrook or Rose (when healthy) doesn't have the impact or isn't worthy of a max contract whereas a player like Harden is.... it's :mindblown: to me.

Lemme ask you this - who are your top 10 players in the league?

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
FINALS MVPS IN THE LAST 20 YEARS:
3 DIFFERENT SGS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT CENTERS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PFS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PGS HAVE WON IT
AND ONE SF HAS WON IT

I FEEL ITS SILLY TO SINGLE OUT THE PG POSITION.
ITS NOT THE POSITIONS,
ITS THE SPECIAL PLAYERS WHO HAVE DOMINATED THE SPORT OVER THAT SPAN.

BEFORE DUNCAN, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME A PF WON FINALS MVP?
ATLEAST 20 YEARS...
3 DIFFERENT PGS WON THEM OVER THAT SPAN.
HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE A CENTER WINS ONE AGAIN?

DONT shyt ON AN ENTIRE POSITION
BECAUSE A SPECIAL PLAYER COMES ALONG & DOMINATES.
STARS HAVE TO ALIGN BECAUSE A LOT OF DOPE PGS DIDNT HAVE THE ROSTERS.
:devil:
:evil:
good post

Daps
not many players in general are worth the max. over half the guys making the max dont deserve it
Exactly. That's why it has nothing to do with position. You can still be a PG and be worth the max. Especially how you've got a player like Westbrook who is of much value to the Thunder as Durant is.

Yet I'm suppose to believe that Westbrook doesn't have as much impact as Durant does on a game, because he plays PG? :childplease:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Yes and no, I think you need one to win a title but if you have a Lebron or Pippen basically a point forward or a center who passes extremely well "Hakeem", you don't need one. But for a max contract, I don't think they are worth it honestly. Westbrook contract should be the max for a PG but I don't think a lot of players are worth the max in the NBA but if you gonna give it out, why not these PG's.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
PGs aint never been important to winning a title and never will be.

It's always Dominant Big > Dominant Wing > Great Bench > Dominant PG imo

Only exceptions were Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson.......but Magic was also 6'9 which caused mismatch problems all over the court
I'll take a dominate PG over a dominate wing unless that wing can spot at PG like Bird or Lebron. In the NBA size matters but so does execution. Dominate center is far more important than anyone else besides Lebron who does a lot of shyt.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who replaces Wade? Let's say the SG equivalent of Chalmers maybe...Gary Neal. I think both the offense and even more the defense takes a hit. Doesn't mean they can't win, but they would be a worse team.

Miami with Paul wouldn't work Lebron is a dominat ball handler...but replace norm with kd and make wade into Paul yeah they can win it all.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
FINALS MVPS IN THE LAST 20 YEARS:
3 DIFFERENT SGS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT CENTERS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PFS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PGS HAVE WON IT
AND ONE SF HAS WON IT

I FEEL ITS SILLY TO SINGLE OUT THE PG POSITION.
ITS NOT THE POSITIONS,
ITS THE SPECIAL PLAYERS WHO HAVE DOMINATED THE SPORT OVER THAT SPAN.

BEFORE DUNCAN, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME A PF WON FINALS MVP?
ATLEAST 20 YEARS...
3 DIFFERENT PGS WON THEM OVER THAT SPAN.
HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE A CENTER WINS ONE AGAIN?

DONT shyt ON AN ENTIRE POSITION
BECAUSE A SPECIAL PLAYER COMES ALONG & DOMINATES.
STARS HAVE TO ALIGN BECAUSE A LOT OF DOPE PGS DIDNT HAVE THE ROSTERS.
:devil:
:evil:
good post
The Heat with Rose in place of LeBron isn't winning a thing, they lose their best defender & rebounder in the playoffs for someone that does everything at a lower level than Bron. That's a max contract replacing another max contract so you can't just fill the hole at SF they'd be even more undersized and worse on the boards than they are now.

KD averaged 31/9/6/1/1 and shot 45% during the playoffs without Russ, that's not really a big drop in efficiency :ld: What do you think Westbrook numbers would look like without KD there, considering he shoots 42% in the playoffs with KD there to take pressure off him. How much of a dropoff would the Thunder have if they went with Eric Bledsoe at the point? Probably not as big of a dropoff as if they swapped KD for Deng, right?

If I'm a GM I'm not handing out max contracts to "come close", and it's not like PGs have always had crappy teams, it's that their impact generally isn't the same. We've got how many years of NBA history showing that building around a PG that isn't 6'9" isn't really a safe bet compared to transcendent players at other positions.
KD went from shooting 51% from the field and 55% efg to 45% from the field and a 50% eFG that's a significant drop. he had a game against Memphis that he shot something like 23% from the field :gag:. his TS% dropped damn near 7 points that's insane considering players usually are more efficient come playoff time.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
good post

KD went from shooting 51% from the field and 55% efg to 45% from the field and a 50% eFG that's a significant drop. he had a game against Memphis that he shot something like 23% from the field :gag:. his TS% dropped damn near 7 points that's insane considering players usually are more efficient come playoff time.

:what:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This is a big man's league, that's why a team with so many flaws like Memphis looks like a better playoff team than regular season team. That's why Indiana got the league on smash and with their improving should be Miami UNLESS Oden is decent. If Oden is decent, Miami wins otherwise, Miami doesn't have an answer for Hibbert.

If I was building a team, I would always remember that but your bigs need to play like bigs. No Brook Lopez's who struggle to rebound. Bigs need to play like bigs. Rebound, protect the rim, set screens at the least, then the special ones can do that and score, pass and make the team a lot better.