is Phil Spencer still considered the right guy for Xbox?

Is Phil the right leader for Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters

Mountain

All Star
Daps
Reppin
more money
Games? Whats that? This is why xbox will never get anywhere. The players are too comfortable with services being their primary go to. Xbots deserve all the 360p, unfunished, 6 metacritic games they do eventually put out :snoop:.

PlayStations stance is clear. A focus on next gen, AAA games. The services and bc are there too but they are not the main selling point

Uhhh last I checked Xbox announced 11 next gen exclusives and sony only announced 6

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
What’s the alternative? Without Phil, Microsoft probably would have been out of the gaming business, if not altogether, definitely at least from a hardware perspective.

The CEO, Nadella didn’t think too highly of it and Phil had to convince him otherwise.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Gamepass, Back compat, and xCloud are great ideas. He hasn't been able to deliver a good first party development system to differentiate Xbox enough from Sony and Nintendo. If it continues like this we might only see Xbox's in the United States while Europe and Japan stick with the other two.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Or do both. Subscription services need a diverse line up to be successful
AAA Sony style games aren't gonna be justifiable with people making monthly payments on a service rather than buying the games outright.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
AAA Sony style games aren't gonna be justifiable with people making monthly payments on a service rather than buying the games outright.
:gucci:
Gamepass been out for 3 years now, this "people won't buy games" narrative is simply untrue. People acting like Gamepass didn't have any games on there.

Edit:I thought you were saying Sony can't justify no more with MSFT's game pass.

Last edited:

Hip-Hop-Bulls

All Star
Daps
Phil Spencer on this Animal Crossing talk show right. Talking about gamepass gamepass gamepass :palm:. Said he's interested in seeing how the PS5 is built when he gets his hands on one :scheme:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:gucci:
Gamepass been out for 3 years now, this "people won't buy games" narrative is simply untrue. People acting like Gamepass didn't have any games on there.
It's not that people won't buy games it's that when you're in the business of selling a service you need products on that service that lend themselves well to keeping people paying that monthly fee every month. I'm not saying they can't make some AAA single player games but if that dominates what they start making then they aren't going to be able to churn out enough content to keep people on Gamepass. What you don't want is people subbing the month your AAA game comes out then dropping the sub until the next AAA game hits. Those subs need to continue perpetually.

If Sony had a service like Gamepass with their content I could sub for a handful of months out of the year then drop my sub for the rest of those months and the total amount would likely be far less than I spend on their games.

Games take too long to develop. They can't produce enough AAA single player games to keep subs going for a full year. That's why they need games that lean into the service and keep people playing long term. It also doesn't hurt if those games have further monetization in the game.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's not that people won't buy games it's that when you're in the business of selling a service you need products on that service that lend themselves well to keeping people paying that monthly fee every month. I'm not saying they can't make some AAA single player games but if that dominates what they start making then they aren't going to be able to churn out enough content to keep people on Gamepass. What you don't want is people subbing the month your AAA game comes out then dropping the sub until the next AAA game hits. Those subs need to continue perpetually.

If Sony had a service like Gamepass with their content I could sub for a handful of months out of the year then drop my sub for the rest of those months and the total amount would likely be far less than I spend on their games.

Games take too long to develop. They can't produce enough AAA single player games to keep subs going for a full year. That's why they need games that lean into the service and keep people playing long term. It also doesn't hurt if those games have further monetization in the game.
Actually, I read your post completely wrong. I thought you meant Sony can't continue to justify AAA style games when there is gamepass. What you're saying though is something I did for Gears 5. I only subbed through a coupon I had with a PC part and then used that for a few months along with another deal I found alone.

tjax03

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What’s the alternative? Without Phil, Microsoft probably would have been out of the gaming business, if not altogether, definitely at least from a hardware perspective.

The CEO, Nadella didn’t think too highly of it and Phil had to convince him otherwise.
They shouldve closed it up years ago when Bill Gates said to get out

They are just bleeding money right now

Daps
I think Microsoft is slowly headed in the right direction, games-wise. He finally got the company to sign off on acquiring a few studios. It's just going to take time for those studios to produce AAA-level stuff.

I do think that the Halo: Infinite issues are because the company is pot-committed to being able to play all of their games across devices, so you're not going to get AAA games from them that are dedicated like you will with Sony or Nintendo. The question is whether being able to sell their AAA games to more people across more devices will make up for the fact that Nintendo and Sony sell dedicated games that get 5M, 10M, 20M, even 30 or 40M sales on one device because of their high quality and the fact that being dedicated for a specific console makes their development and performance cleaner.

I think you can make that judgment on Spencer being the right guy or not once we see how that shakes out this upcoming generation.