Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure if you can compare that to a genre of music where DJs were spitting over dubs and playing breaks in the 1950s but ok

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what do you think on the video I posted of herc telling us what was happening?

It's irrelevant considering in the 1950s, DJs in Jamaica were extending the breaks on records/ creating dubs and reciting rhymes over them.

If you can point me to DJs in New York doing that before the 70s I will dap you

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure if you can compare that to a genre of music where DJs were spitting over dubs and playing breaks in the 1950s but ok
I just realized you wrote that they were playing breakbeats in the 1950's:ohhh:

What songs had breaks back then that were being played because if you can prove that, you might convert me. And let's be clear, dub music and king tubby, are not music with break beats. I know people keep bringing up king tubby but his music sounded nothing like what DJs were playing. It was still banging, don't get me wrong.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cats trying "ancient Egypt" African americans out of the creation of hip hop:mjlol:

People just cant accept facts that challenge their beliefs and what they've been taught to be honest.

Hip hop music is essentially guys rhyming over breaks, this was happening in 1950s Jamaica. Nothing to really debate

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
I just realized you wrote that they were playing breakbeats in the 1950's:ohhh:

What songs had breaks back then that were being played because if you can prove that, you might convert me. And let's be clear, dub music and king tubby, are not music with break beats. I know people keep bringing up king tubby but his music sounded nothing like what DJs were playing. It was still hanging, don't get me wrong.

They just don't want you to know how our music influenced theirs. They'd have to write out R&B, Blues, Jazz, Soul for example. Or are we gonna deny that too?

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's irrelevant considering in the 1950s, DJs in Jamaica were extending the breaks on records/ creating dubs and reciting rhymes over them.

If you can point me to DJs in New York doing that before the 70s I will dap you
:upsetfavre:
Your whole point was Kool Herc brought a Jamaican style of djing to the states ,and created hip hop, now you're saying it doesn't matter that he says different?:wtf:

What in the flying fukk?:damn:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
People just cant accept facts that challenge their beliefs and what they've been taught to be honest.

Hip hop music is essentially guys rhyming over breaks, this was happening in 1950s Jamaica. Nothing to really debate
nikkas like @IllmaticDelta got all the carfax and receipts that African Americans been rapping since the thirties. That hip hop turntable/soundsystem/club culture was simply a changing of the guard from nyc disco culture. And that hip hop sonically, rest on disco and funk music. This was all happening before Jamaica

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
:upsetfavre:
Your whole point was Kool Herc brought a Jamaican style of djing to the states ,and created hip hop, now you're saying it doesn't matter that he says different?:wtf:

What in the flying fukk?:damn:

See. But I'll start with SKA music for example. Roscoe Gordon, Memphis, No More Doggin 1951

First SKA record- Theophilus Beckford- Easy Snapping 1959

Guess they made that all by themselves also huh? :usure:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They can try to deny it all they want. Our music forms spread to their island. Our music influenced any music they created. Point blank. Period. To deny that is to lie. It's the truth. They can try to write us out of the narrative but the evidence is there. Sorry. :manny:
What I don't get is why do we hate each other so much that we can't tell the truth? This is not the 80's or earlier when we was still dealing with our issues, but now, we know better. The same people who talk shyt about white people stealing, black power and some are even rastas, are the same people who don't want to acknowledge their brothers accomplishments. I just don't get it, and I'm so tired of the fighting, lies, and backstabbing, just to act like whites are the only ones who do foul shyt. I love my people, but sometimes man:scust: