Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
People believe this lie for two reasons.

1-They have a dislike of America or Black Americans so they don't like to give us credit.

2-They saw a clip on TV, saw herc was from Jamaica, and just repeat shyt without thinking about it. Once you study the time hip hop was born, you can see what we were told is pure bullshyt, and used to make money.

uh yall invented Rock, Jazz even the direct origin of hip-hop via African dance....yall want it all?

• Dap
Reactions: MGM

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
uh yall invented Rock, Jazz even the direct origin of hip-hop via African dance....yall want it all?
Its not about wanting it all, its about telling the truth about what happened? Why don't some people understand this?:what:

If the argument was about who invented shyt throwing, I would still defend whoever invented it because its the truth, not to build up some fake confidence.

How would you feel if you heard some people dissing the music you love, only years down the line to say they invented it? This is what a lot of Caribbean people did, and are doing now. I remember when they dissed rap. Krs-one told you in the south Bronx.

"The dreads in Brooklyn was crazy. You couldn't bring out ya set with no hip hop because the pistols would go..."

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
There's a difference between saying you contributed and you created.

Grandmaster Flowers (Jonathon Cameron Flowers) was a DJ from Brooklyn, New York. One of the earliest DJs to mix records together in sequence,[1] Flowers was known as one of the earliest pioneers of hip hop. Flowers was involved in the disco and funk scene and used to hold block parties. Flowers is cited as having a "formative influence" on hip hop DJs[2] such as Grandmaster Flash[3] and Afrika Bambaataa in the early 1970s. In 1969, Grandmaster Flowers opened for James Brown at Yankee Stadium. Although an inspiration to many of hip hop's early greats - he is highly respected by those he influenced - Flowers never himself made it to the heights of his successors in hip hop culture.

There goes James Brown again :ohhh:.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
A white guy from England was rapping back in the 30's or something, there is RECORDED evidence of this...

Hip Hop as we know it, was invented in NEW YORK by Black Americans...

If you want to get all technical, then white people invented rapping...The video of some British guy rapping was posted on The Coli a few months ago...

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Rap came from africa.

Of course it is. We Africans are the originals and everyone bites our steez. We don't get mad because we know you're our sons. lol.

Jokes aside, hip hop is Black American music that originated in New York. Period. I've lived with Jamaicans, been to Jamaica. I'm Nigerian and I've lived in Nigeria. I have tons of family in the US (lots in the tri-state). The point... I've seen how lots of different Black people party and what vibes they bring.

Hip hop is New York, Black American. 100%

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont know why this is so hard for people to stomach

1950s Jamaica, deejays travelling with decks and records, reciting bars over records recording dubs etc in the 1950s and we're still debating lol

Couth

I gave her D she got mad
Daps
Rap didn't start in jamaica.

It started in nyc. But jamaicans were the first ones to spit over beats. Then other people caught on and it blew.
No question rap is all american. All of the greats have been americans. Even biggie (jamaican) was born in america. But if jamaicans hadn't started it out who knows if rap would even exist.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Here we go again huh? LOL. He didn't, I showed you on the other thread he didn't but you wanted to run off, make a new thread to play these games. I don't know how you can write out decades of artists and claim one person invented a music form with roots going back to jazz, blues, scat, r&b/soul, written word, that coalesced into what it is today? But I guess all those people were Jamaicans to right? :russ: We going to have to do this again? :comeon:

Here comes the judge 1968 (funny...sounds just like early 80s hiphop)
Who got the number? 1969

Markham was born in Durham, NC April 18, 1904; died December 13, 1981 Bronx, NY (coincidence?)

However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is
James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".
  1. "Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti", by Steven Hager, 1984, St Martin's Press, p.45

Hustler's Convention 1973

James Brown 1959

Louis Armstrong from movie "New Orleans" 1947- Since you wanted to take it back to see "rapping" (rhyming).

So let's see. Herc came to the Bronx in 1967. A year before Markhams's "Here comes the Judge" in 1968 is on wax. Then the "creator" of rap claims it's James Brown was his inspiration for RAP. Who was doing that easily in 1959. Hustler's Convention came out in 1973. Louis Armstrong was doing it back in 1947! Other groups as well.

Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[42] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[40]

Creator-a person or thing that creates.
Creates-to evolve from one's own thought or imagination ,as a work of art or an invention.
Catalyst-a person or thing that precipitates an event or change.

So he DIDN'T CREATE RAP which I've shown you twice now! Nor did it come from his imagination. People were RAPPING before he was even born 1955. How did he create something before he was even created? So people claim he invented something, then he states was inspired by JAMES BROWN and Hustler's Convention? He didn't create rap. Period.

i was going to say something similar but didn't have time while i was at work. by now we should know that it wasn't one person or one thing that created Hip Hop it was an amalgamation of many different genres, styles, people, DJ's and influences that came together to make what we call Hip Hop. from toasting to DJ's playing breaks from Disco and Funk.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Keep in mind Brooklyn Legendary Sound System KING ADDIES aka the BILLBOARD MACHINE aka THE KILLING MACHINE as its known in the field of clashing (battling)

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/broo...-of-reggae-30th-anniversary.164679/best-posts

Celebrated its 30th anniversary 2 years ago, founded by Jamaican Immigrants who were "descendants" of earlier historic soundsystems such as KING STURMAS..KILL-A-MAN-JARO..YOUTH PROMOTION SOUNDS and METROMEDIA formerly known as TOM THE SEBASTIAN which played its first dance in 1956!!

In fact even in the plate early 50s you had Jamaicans clashing(battling) .selecting (spinning)...and toasting (rapping)

Such as Count Matchuki and Lord Comic who use to rhyme. .toast and boast for soundsystems in the 1950s with the turntable spinning in the HEAT OF A CLASH! (Battle)

Sure the black american jive Talking deejays probally are the true source for Rapping itself

But ONLY JAMAICA combined ALL THE ELEMENTS that contributes to the culture of hip hop... :ufdup:

Respeck mi yute

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
This shyt has already been addressed tons of TIMES already. Hip Hop is repeat NOT repeat NOT from Jamaica. Can people STOP spreading this myth???

The sounds of Hip Hop were already present in America LOOOOONG before Jamaica. Kool Herc did not use any Jamaican sounds to create Hip Hop. Hell you'll have a very hard time finding Jamaican sound in early Hip Hop.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rap didn't start in jamaica.

It started in nyc. But jamaicans were the first ones to spit over beats. Then other people caught on and it blew.
No question rap is all american. All of the greats have been americans. Even biggie (jamaican) was born in america. But if jamaicans hadn't started it out who knows if rap would even exist.
Thats it

Rapping over beats started in Jamaica, Jamaicans called it toasting. Toasting caught on in America and became rapping

Btw toasting is NOT rapping. And Rapping in America predates toasting in America. Also iirc toasting comes from American rhyming in the first place.
Toasting is rhyming over the break of beats, Jamaicans were doing this in the 1950s. If an someone was toasting with an American accent it would be considered rapping.