Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
shyt is banging!

How come I never heard this?:jbhmm:
There are people who still believe that Kool DJ Herc brought "Jamaican Toasting" to New York and therefore created MC'ing/Rapping yet Kool DJ Herc isn't an MC. He's a DJ! Two completely different things. Smh! DJ Hollywood, Coke La Rock, Grand Master Caz, Grand Master Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, Busy Bee Starski, Sugarhill Gang, The Last Poets, The Watts Prophets, Gil Scott-Heron paved the way for MC'Ing/Rapping. Black Americans pioneered the Hip-Hop CULTURE—Hip-Hop as music, art, dance and fashion.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
shyt is banging!

How come I never heard this?:jbhmm:

some other interesting songs that are rapping/proto rap

(1950s)

same guy in the 1960s w/ some backing doo wop (proto beatboxing) sounds

1970s..true Funk influenced beat w/ rapping syncopation in the beginning before turning more into spoken word

Daps
There are people who still believe that Kool DJ Herc brought "Jamaican Toasting" to New York and therefore created MC'ing/Rapping yet Kool DJ Herc isn't an MC. He's a DJ! Two completely different things. Smh! DJ Hollywood, Coke La Rock, Grand Master Caz, Grand Master Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, Busy Bee Starski, Sugarhill Gang, The Last Poets, The Watts Prophets, Gil Scott-Heron paved the way for MC'Ing/Rapping. Black Americans pioneered the Hip-Hop CULTURE—Hip-Hop as music, art, dance and fashion.
Thread closed. Cab Calloway also had a large influence

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
i didn't wanna start a new thread on this ...

D.J. Kool Herc says HBO, ‘Vinyl’ producers stole his ‘name, reputation and goodwill’ by using his nicknames, voice without consent
BY Barbara Ross
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 7:35 PM

cool4n-1-web.jpg
Giancarli, Alfred/Freelance, NYDN
D.J. Kool Herc says he was offered $10,000 to waive his rights and agree to be a consultant. When Herc denied, HBO went ahead and used his nicknames and voice anyway.

Cool, he’s not.

D.J. Kool Herc is in fact steamed at HBO and the producers of the hit series “Vinyl” who, he says, stole his “name, reputation and goodwill” by using his nicknames and voice without consent.

In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Herc, whose real name is Clive Campbell, says the producers came to him before the show aired and offered him $10,000 if he would waive his “overall rights” and agree to be a consultant.

Campbell, 61, is known as a groundbreaking force in the development of hip hop music. Campbell refused the offer as too low.

cool4n-2-web.jpg
HBO
“Vinyl” is a series about a man trying to revive his record company in the 1970s as the pop music scene was evolving from rock to punk to hip hop and beyond.
“Vinyl” is a series about a man trying to revive his record company in the 1970s as the pop music scene was evolving from rock to punk to hip hop and beyond.

Court papers say that rather than follow up with another offer, HBO and Broken Records LLC “proceeded in airing the show without consulting (Campbell) or receiving his express consent.”

There was no immediate comment from HBO or the Vinyl producers.

D.J. Kool Herc: HBO, 'Vinyl' used my name, voice without consent

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta check out Daddy-O talking about the origins of rap, and the Pigmeat Markham "here come the judge" producer saying comedians was rapping like that before that song!

Go to 3:24

He spit 100% facts. He's right when he said older people told him that black musicians/comedians were rapping to the/a beat before Pigmeat. Like I said, we have records from the 1920s that prove this. What Markheam did do was he was the first to do it on a FUNK beat.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
"I tried three times to post the link to the page that verifies the changes I have made, but a bot keeps eliminating it:"

Reading this from the article @IllmaticDelta posted, worries me. It sounds like we have to worry about other blacks trying to rewrite our history, along with what some racists whites are doing now with these new history books, and making slavery seem like it was nice. They are just totally ignoring Jim Crow era.

Damn, if we conquer this shyt, Black Americans will forever be the shyt:blessed:
:sas2:

trillanova

The Truth
Daps
You can think of Jamaica as a great grandparent to hip hop but it was born and raised IN New York, the Bronx specifically. There's definitely influences that shaped how Herc introduced the platform that would become the foundation of the genre, but it was born in NYC. The bboying, block parties, scratching, sampling, call and response format/crowd participation were formulated, mastered and delivered to the masses in NYC.

Hip Hop was not born in Jamaica. It was born in the Bronx. People always wanna take African American artistry and try to give someone else credit. The geography if the concrete jungle and the kids partying to the sound shaping the identity were primarily African Americans not West Indians. Jamaican women my mother and fathers age are listening to classic reggae like Beres Hammond, Sanchez, and Capleton while my mom who grew up in NYC in the 70s and 80s listen to classic hip hop records when she's reflecting on her youth. I'm talking stuff even before sugar Hill gang and Kurtis Blow...

She knows people who were there from the jump. Jamaicans got their own shyt but it's not hip hop.

Last edited: