Is A Different World worth a watch?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm not sure that's true doesn't disney have
live audiences. But I think being that its a black show it will never happen since they don't take chances on black shows anylonger. I wonder if netfix would be a good place though not sure who has the rights.

So you don't think with the success of black-ish, empire, potentially uncle buck, and the other shows this season with black leads or minority leads in general, it wouldn't get done?

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So you don't think with the success of black-ish, empire, potentially uncle buck, and the other shows this season with black leads or minority leads in general, it wouldn't get done?
I hope it does and you make a good point but I that's only a fraction of the shows that were black in the 90s, 80s, and 70s.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
like others have said: hell yea it's worth watching...the show is entertaining as hell and touches on a lot of issues/topics such as domestic violence, racism, motivation to go to college/better one's self when coming from poverty, etc. that are still prevalent today in the black community....also like others have said: they need a show like this today....

some of yall tripping: a different world is damn good, but it's not better than the cosby show....

anyway, i always had a thing for freddie...i dug her crazy, out there ass...and when i found out the actress did voices for cartoons i watched, that made me dig her even more....hurt me when they straightened her hair in the later season, cause i dug the curly hair....but hell, i wouldve tried knocking a lot of the og cast down....freddie, kim, jelisa, whitney, denise...i wouldve been like ron, trying everybody lol....
Karen Malina White and Ajai Sanders were so thick in the later seasons :ohlawd:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I hope it does and you make a good point but I that's only a fraction of the shows that were black in the 90s, 80s, and 70s.

That's very true but that's not the reason that the show wouldn't be greenlit. I think the problem would be getting the show back on the air without Cosby because you know NBC doesn't want to get into business with him right now since they cut his show off before it even filmed the pilot

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's very true but that's not the reason that the show wouldn't be greenlit. I think the problem would be getting the show back on the air without Cosby because you know NBC doesn't want to get into business with him right now since they cut his show off before it even filmed the pilot
Oh I agree that obvious im speaking more in general terms it probably wouldn't get the chance even if Bill Cosby was still seen as squeaky clean.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Oh I agree that obvious im speaking more in general terms it probably wouldn't get the chance even if Bill Cosby was still seen as squeaky clean.

Nah I think it would actually. It would need the right juice behind it and at the time she talked about bringing it back 3 years ago, Cosby was for it and clearly she was, but she cited "legal snags" so I'm guessing the rights to the show are so damn entangled it's not even funny.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah I think it would actually. It would need the right juice behind it and at the time she talked about bringing it back 3 years ago, Cosby was for it and clearly she was, but she cited "legal snags" so I'm guessing the rights to the show are so damn entangled it's not even funny.
Idk I been following this for awhile and Debbie Allen has said she has been trying to accomplish this for years now I think if it was gonna happen it would have I want it though because I'm a huge ADW fan.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

true...the show is too attached to cosby cause he the reason the show got made in the first place...nbc didnt want 'a different world', they wanted some other shyt and cosby said no, he wanted to make a different world (partly to look out for lisa bonet, he thought she was getting done wrong)...anyway, nbc only ok'd it cause cosby was a money maker for them, but they hoped it'd fail.....the fact they axed his new show means they'd probably axe this too....

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk I been following this for awhile and Debbie Allen has said she has been trying to accomplish this for years now I think if it was gonna happen it would have I want it though because I'm a huge ADW fan.

i doubt it'll ever get made...the show wasnt supposed to be made in the first place, but cosby was just that huge he was able to get it made, even though the studio and others wanted it to fail....and depsite how successful the show was, it'd need a huge star/money maker to get the show greenlit now....

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
true...the show is too attached to cosby cause he the reason the show got made in the first place...nbc didnt want 'a different world', they wanted some other shyt and cosby said no, he wanted to make a different world (partly to look out for lisa bonet, he thought she was getting done wrong)...anyway, nbc only ok'd it cause cosby was a money maker for them, but they hoped it'd fail.....the fact they axed his new show means they'd probably axe this too....

Well Debbie or someone would have to wrestle it out of his hands on the production tip. Even IF she believes he's innocent and everyone believes he's innocent, there's no tv studio that would touch anything with Cosby's name on it with a 50 ft pole. And there's no way he's going to let it go. But after thinking about it, Carsey-Warner is the production company and Cosby has nothing to do with them aside from them producing Cosby show and this show so maybe he'd have nothing to do with it at all aside from a "vocal endorsement" which they don't need anymore

Yup, you're probably right.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well Debbie or someone would have to wrestle it out of his hands on the production tip. Even IF she believes he's innocent and everyone believes he's innocent, there's no tv studio that would touch anything with Cosby's name on it with a 50 ft pole. And there's no way he's going to let it go. But after thinking about it, Carsey-Warner is the production company and Cosby has nothing to do with them aside from them producing Cosby show and this show so maybe he'd have nothing to do with it at all aside from a "vocal endorsement" which they don't need anymore

Does that company exist anymore are they still production partners I know they dominated the 80s and 90s. I wonder if another company handles those properties now.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

i dont think getting the show from him would be a problem...the way people talk about him business wise, i think he'd give it to her easily to run with...the problem would be like you said: no one would touch anything with cosby's name attached to it....and i think she'd stand by cosby, wouldnt as yall say 'thow him to the bushes' just to get it made....

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i dont think getting the show from him would be a problem...the way people talk about him business wise, i think he'd give it to her easily to run with...the problem would be like you said: no one would touch anything with cosby's name attached to it....and i think she'd stand by cosby, wouldnt as yall say 'thow him to the bushes' just to get it made....

Well if he was just the surrogate between the production company and NBC, they don't need him anymore. Carsey-Warner can do what they want sans Cosby.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well if he was just the surrogate between the production company and NBC, they don't need him anymore. Carsey-Warner can do what they want sans Cosby.
Yeah they seem to be largely inactive these days and just working on distributing and remastering some of those valuable properties thats probably why Debbie Allen cant get anything off the ground but I think you are right they might be able to do it without him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carsey-Werner_Company