Independent restaurants are being crushed by the labor shortage. They're raising prices, cutting ope

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
There should have been convos about a mandated living wage long before this, but if it spurs it, it's worth it. Hell, min and service wages should have been increased long ago.

Don't care about prices increasing at restaurants- service wages are absurd, even if it's not specialized labor (it does take a skill set however).

Daps
In that case, then these businesses need to increase their wages to meet the competition or close down. It's not workers problem that businesses can't pay a livable wage. Workers have to make a living as well just as much as the owners of the business to be working on the cheap.

Small problem, and this goes back to my point on the first page. People don't actually like capitalism.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
In that case, then these businesses need to increase their wages to meet the competition or close down. It's not workers problem that businesses can't pay a livable wage. Workers have to make a living as well just as much as the owners of the business to be working on the cheap.

I’ve edited my post. I agree these aren't jobs to live off of but they never have been.

Daps
There should have been convos about a mandated living wage long before this, but if it spurs it, it's worth it. Hell, min and service wages should have been increased long ago.

Don't care about prices increasing at restaurants- service wages are absurd, even if it's not specialized labor (it does take a skill set however).

There were conversations about it back in 2015. The person pushing those conversations also ran again in 2020. Both times he was rejected by the very people who need his policies right now. Do I feel bad for them? Absolutely not

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Small problem, and this goes back to my point on the first page. People don't actually like capitalism.

They don't, but that's not the workers problem :yeshrug:

I always find the purpose of these articles rather weird as it's like businesses are trying to garner sympathy and justify to the public why they have to increase their prices. As I've mentioned before, I found it weird and crummy that they'd have no problem going on TV to complain about the enhanced unemployment like that doesn't make them look bad or exploitive.

Daps
The US restaurants tackling staff shortages: ‘We have to pay more’

She noted even before the pandemic, the restaurant and hospitality industries were experiencing labor shortages, and the pandemic likely contributed to workers leaving the industry. “The only way to attract, not necessarily the people who left the industry, but newcomers to the industry, is we have to change the industry,” added Cohen. “We have to pay more, we have to make this a viable profession.”

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The US restaurants tackling staff shortages: ‘We have to pay more’

She noted even before the pandemic, the restaurant and hospitality industries were experiencing labor shortages, and the pandemic likely contributed to workers leaving the industry. “The only way to attract, not necessarily the people who left the industry, but newcomers to the industry, is we have to change the industry,” added Cohen. “We have to pay more, we have to make this a viable profession.”

And don't use sign-up bonuses either as people are hip to the game now that they don't actually increase wages.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I think a lot of people have said fukk retail/restaurants….

They were on the frontlines and hit with reduced hours, Covid exposure, AND the wrath of bytch ass customers taking their anger over mask mandates, reduced operating hours and longer wait times out on them.

You throw in low wages and a lot of them are just like “fukk it, not worth it…”.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
how does a vaccine mandate directed towards businesses with 100+ employees and federal workers effect restaurants? :jbhmm:
Emboldens democratic states to push their own equally authoritarian mandates since the president technically, has their back in this extortion scheme.

I think if they would just say.
"These mandates will be in effect until the pandemic is over"

It would be recieved a little better but it almost seems like it's a new order of existing in America and coming off as Commie-ish