in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
see, that's the main thing Im getting at. The people that were huge on the "black/urban charts" were not necessarily the same people who were huge on the overall top 40 (white charts). For this discussion on HipHop in it's totality, the only consumers that matter are the black/urban charts because it best reflects what they were listening to and dictates what was poppin. Kwame/Kid N Play's points only ring true in the higher ends of the white charts/top 40. For example

jyKjMWe.png

or

XtXUVWu.png

or

YKzrOuU.png

Great point and top notch receipts as always :prodigylol:
I always get a kick out of younger posters talking about the Hot 100 when it comes to the early 90s.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
uh oh, here we go again; wise intelligent explaining how hop changed in the early 90's :mjlol:
(TIME STAMPED- he gets the year wrong about FIGHT THE POWER, it was 1990 not 1992)

this was the shyt BTW, i haven't heard this in years :stylin:

Last edited:

ILLMMORTAL

THE ILLEST
Daps
Reppin
THE MOST OUTTER REACHES OF THE COSMOS
:jbhmm: what's funny is that i just watched "THE DEFIANT ONES" and they talk about this from the flip side

in 1991 (the same year KNP dropped their third album) this album was the #1 album in the country - not just hip hop, but overall
NWA-Efil.jpg

they showed the news clippings, and people being shocked at the content etc etc...

but here we are now, some 26 years later, and all of this just.....never happened. all a figment of peoples imaginations.

there is just absolutely no way that hip hop shifted in another direction and peoples tastes changed

nah...it's just that kid n play sucked.

tumblr_mv224mHvmk1rhtwg1o1_r1_400.gif
No radio play and one of the best albums ever in hiphop:blessed:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
...not really that much gangtsa rap....a good amount of party/dance-rap and alt rap though

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
how is arrested development undercard?

they were a bigger act than every name you mentioned ahead of them except dre & snoop, who they still sold more records than.

who were all these great lyricists of the early '90s that were better than the '80s lyricists?

just to be clear, I'm strictly talking about the early '90s era that followed directly behind the '80s.

dog, youre basically agreeing with me about will smith. he was getting phased out, just like kid n play & the rest of them. he had the luxury of sticking to acting, and then using his Hollywood name to come back in '97 when bubblegum rap was making a resurgence.

and yea, I do agree that a lot of rappers' time was simply just up. I was just pointing out that will smith didn't stand the test of time either.

nah bro. I already said that "gangsta" isn't the problem. the problem was that hardcore took over. not necessarily gangsta. and that phased out basically all of the elements that made kid n play stand out.

I wouldn't say that they still had a late '80s flow. the stuff they did for house party 3, was actually dope, witty and somewhat up-to-date.

their style was just a lil too upbeat/party-ish/playful. kinda like nice-n-smooth, who despite being name-dropped by someone in this thread, they were phased out around this time as well.
Nah I was basically saying that it wasn't that Will wasn't gangsta enough. It was that that Fresh Prince shyt wasn't gonna fly in the 90s. It was too corny. When he came back out without the Fresh Prince shyt he was fine. And as far as lyricists go. I mean in talking about the 90s as a whole. It was more lyrical than the 80s indefinitely. I don't even see how this is debatable honestly.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Exactly....these some crybaby ass nikkas.....they mad cuz they fell off wit the dance shyt and fans wasn't fukkin wit em'. They started makin movies and lost focus on the craft and the times.......then wanna blame gangsta rap like a cac poitician....nikkas just weren't relevant anymore. Dela didn't have a problem, tribe didn't have a problem.......everybody wasnt bustin shots ......but shyt like this is the real reason they fell off, they wack. Kid moved off to Hollywood and became a cac pothead and play thought he was some suave nikka....neither were mc's in the mind anymore. Got distracted and turned wack .....foh nikkas:gucci:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
again, this is just what the man said - you're literally getting mad at me for quoting something that SOMEBODY ELSE SAID. :ohhh:

as it stands, Kid's statement is that certain sections of the hip hop community called them played out and corny

so we have to believe him. we don't know what people said to that man behind the scenes.

to sit up here and argue that YOU know what people said to him is kind of.....weird.

now you're just saying ANYTHING to win a debate online :hhh:

:hubie: not mad at all :hubie:

i just think kid was doing what many entertainers do with their time is up
they find someway to make an excuse to why they're not poppin anymore
I gave you 3 groups that weren't street/thug/calling women bytches that dominated thru the 90's

tribe called quest / outkast / fugees - sold millions of million of records & had their music / videos played throughout the whole country

:yeshrug:ain't have shyt to do with this street/thug/bytches excuse :manny:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:hubie: not mad at all :hubie:

i just think kid was doing what many entertainers do with their time is up
they find someway to make an excuse to why they're not poppin anymore
I gave you 3 groups that weren't street/thug/calling women bytches that dominated thru the 90's

tribe called quest / outkast / fugees - sold millions of million of records & had their music / videos played throughout the whole country

:yeshrug:ain't have shyt to do with this street/thug/bytches excuse :manny:

facts

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:jbhmm: what's funny is that i just watched "THE DEFIANT ONES" and they talk about this from the flip side

in 1991 (the same year KNP dropped their third album) this album was the #1 album in the country - not just hip hop, but overall
NWA-Efil.jpg

they showed the news clippings, and people being shocked at the content etc etc...

but here we are now, some 26 years later, and all of this just.....never happened. all a figment of peoples imaginations.

there is just absolutely no way that hip hop shifted in another direction and peoples tastes changed

nah...it's just that kid n play sucked.

tumblr_mv224mHvmk1rhtwg1o1_r1_400.gif
It's not an either or though. As evidenced by all the non gangsta groups who were popping in the early 90s.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
^^^^ and all of them flopped.

:whoa: now before you clear your counter and threaten to kill me...I remember all of this coming on BET, and I liked it too

but go back to what Kwame' said in the video - he said if you wasn't on that bullshyt in so many words, YOU WASN'T POPPIN'

he didn't say you didn't exist or you didn't have a record deal - labels were already invested in these artists and had them under contract

but i can pretty much assure you that when all of these artists contracts were up - they didn't get renewed and got replaced by rappers that were "poppin'"
In the Bay Area they were playing Pharcyde, Ed OG and Das on the radio. All day.
They were popping. Das went platinum. How is that flopping?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You are right though. The gangsta image did take over something serious! I hated when I started seeing and hearing New York rappers videos with Lowriders that shyt erked my damn nerves. You could tell that shyt was forced for record sales.
Only person I can think of doing that was Masta Ace.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
here is KOOL MOE DEE pretty much echoing what happened to hip hop from the late 80's to early 90's (TIME STAMPED)...

countdown before another coli poster says that kool moe dee doesn't know what he's talking about :mjlol:

He's saying that Afrocentric rap was purposefully buried by labels pushing gangsta rap. That's not what the kid n play documentary says.
And Moe Dee also doesn't say that all rappers, excluding gangsta rap, were unsuccessful.