in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
The problem with this thread and so many is that nikkaz is having 2 different arguments.

Young nikkaz who just have access to Wikipedia and the internet are arguing that because certain music was more popular in the mainstream, that's the wave that was most popular in the hood.

I mean, for a long time Hammer was teh best selling rapper of all-time, but he wasn't as hot in the hood as Too Short or BDP or Public Enemy.

You couldn't look at the record charts in say 1991 and go, "Well, Hammer's selling wayyyy more records than all these nikkaz, so Hip-Hop fans are sayin that Hammer's the guy".

Those numbers aren't going to tell you that Hammer's base was a mostly NON-Hip-Hop audience (i.e White people & children) and Too Short or Public Enemy was more likely to be what a 17 year old who buys rap magazines, listens to rap radio, and goes to rap concerts is listening to.

Us older nikkaz who were around at that time, know that Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Kid N Play, Kwame, etc. . .had a limited shelf life, because it was never built on the cultural Hip-Hop heads, it was based on pop audiences who bought New Kids on the Block & Debbie Gibson records.

Will Smith, Kid N Play, and those other guys have a vested interest in blaming "gangsta rap" for their demise because if they didn't, they'd have to admit that their time was up.

I mean, I listened to the latest Public Enemy joint and I was just looking like:francis:.

They just don't have it anymore. It wasn't gangsta rap's fault that they fell off. They just haven't been good since the Bomb Squad broke up.

Same thing with these dudes.

Us older heads are telling you what the CULTURE was like, not the pop charts.

In the culture, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and Public Enemy were just as or even more respected than NWA, Snoop, Dre, etc. . .that was selling records.

Back then record sales weren't the thing that made you hot, because Hammer & Vanilla Ice had sales, but they weren't respected.

The irony is that the "gangsta flip" that happens in the early 90s, was largely because of NWA and Death Row bringing
so many white kids as consumers to Hip Hop.

They attracted white kids who wanted vicariously live stereotypical ghetto lives through their music.

That's also the time that white Viacom's MTV goes heavy on rap, and two white kids from Harvard launch The Source Magazine.

Groups like Whodini, who sold a million records to a completely black audience in the mid 80s, were wiped out because
of the tone and attitude change to appease the white fanbase seeking gang banging and drug dealing on wax and in videos.

That's not true.

Run-DMC started bringing in the White kids with the Aerosmith joint in like '86.

The Beastie Boys had the no.1 album in Amerikkka when rap was barely being played on the radio.

Hammer & Vanilla Ice were the ones who really busted the White market wide open.

NWA and Death Row NEVER reached the level of sales that Vanilla Ice & Hammer did, until 2pac died and "All Eyez on Me" went like Diamond.

This whole thing about Hip Hop being "more lyrical" in the 90s. Nope. The genre simply hit a pop base
through radio and videos.

There was very little in the early 90s as "lyrical" as Kane, Rakim, Melle Mel, The Treacherous Three and Spoonie Gee
on "New Rap Language," or LL on The Rock The Bells Remix (not the original). They were emcees, not rappers.

"Rappers" (not emcees) became big in the 90s to scare white parents and please their rebellious offspring.

:russ:@ Nas, Biggie, De La Soul, and Wu-Tang not being lyrical

Oh don't stop there, apparently

Kid from kid and play
Kwame
Kool Moe Dee
Will Smith
A few hip hop journalists

We're all getting schooled today...im just sitting back taking notes...I love learning. :coffee:

Yeah, they all have a vested interest in not taking responsibility for themselves falling off. :yeshrug:

All those dudes weren't going to be popular in the '90s. With or without gangsta rap

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I'm 34 and I used to record hella songs off the radio when I was about ten in 93'. Back then, they would play "Electric Relaxation", "C.R.E.A.M" and "Gin 'N Juice" back to back on the same station. There was a counterbalance back then more than today. Now everybody is all tatted up sipping lean thinking they're super thug. Back in the 90's, studio gangsterism was heavily policed. N.W.A.'s credibility mostly came from Eazy and his image and life story. But trying to be something you're not was not allowed back then. That's why Vanilla Ice's career ended the second he was exposed as a suburban cac.

And there's a lot of fake ass Hip Hop purist cacs here shytting on gangster rap. As someone who actually grew up in the inner city in Cali back in the early 90's, gangster rap was a cry for help when everyone ignored what was going on in the hood. Think about it, would you even know about places like East Side Long Beach, Compton and Vallejo if it wasn't for gangster rap? fukk no. Rappers talked about what goes on in the hood when the evening news didn't even report. Like Chuck D said, Hip Hop is the CNN of the ghetto.

we're the same age but cmon fam...we've all heard this before, but you know this what i bolded is bullshyt.

dr dre use to ride around in his music videos with uzi's n shyt...the same dude who 10 years later was in goofy ass videos with Eminem and a lab coat.

at some point a long the way, the gangsta shyt became a selling point and it went over the top

THIS is when the protests started coming in heavy.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
This whole thing about Hip Hop being "more lyrical" in the 90s. Nope. The genre simply hit a pop base
through radio and videos.

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

90 to 95>>>>>>>>>>>

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Fugees and Will Smith albums sold more than Pac and Bigs.
Even Jays biggest song of his most "fukk a bytch"-album was Hard Knock Life.

90s hiphop was diverse as fukk, I hate how people love to summarize shyt that can't be summarized. Like "everything today is mumble rap" is just as bad.

The only way you can summarize 90s hiphop is different ways of saying how dope music was coming out.

Last edited:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
^ Hammer did capitalize off of whites, but still had a large black fan base. Dude was already Gold on "Let's Get It Started" with minimal white fans.

Yeah, the "heads" may not have messed with him, but the casual black music fans dug him until he dropped the "Too Legit To Quit" turd.

I understand that there was always detractors to his music, but let's not ignore that he did have a black core audience when he first came out.

Daps
You are right though. The gangsta image did take over something serious! I hated when I started seeing and hearing New York rappers videos with Lowriders that shyt erked my damn nerves. You could tell that shyt was forced for record sales.
Only person I can think of doing that was Masta Ace.
hold on.. yall didnt know Sittin On Chrome album, was actually clowning gangsta rap..? :dwillhuh:

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
hold on.. yall didnt know Sittin On Chrome album, was actually clowning gangsta rap..? :dwillhuh:

:francis:

I been knew that. I remember that spoof video they did in the meat factory.

Edit:here it is

I'm talking about some videos I seen of some people from the East in a drop 64 (or 63) and wearing flannels and rags on their heads. You could easily tell they were trying to be "Gangsta" cause that was the image at that time. I'm not talking about the NBN look I'm talking straight up West Coast style.

Daps

I'm talking about some videos I seen of some people from the East in a drop 64 (or 63) and wearing flannels and rags on their heads. You could easily tell they were trying to be "Gangsta" cause that was the image at that time. I'm not talking about the NBN look I'm talking straight up West Coast style.

youre talking about Born To Roll.. it was on Sittin on Chrome..

e47ba523a2c80c45433e389ab61cd991.1000x1000x1.jpg

go back & re-listen.. its clowning "east vs west" hip-hop..

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
BULLshyt

in 90s if you could rap, no matter gangsta or conscious, you would be getting respect you deserve

even though music industry was selecting gangsta tracks, for their agenda, the conscious rap was still strong. There was so many rappers with their own style, flow, they were original. It's the 00s when so many wack ass artists would copy someone's style to cash in on a few albums and shyt. Originality went the fukk away, and now in 10s we got bunch of clones sounding like the rapper who copied from another rapper who copied from another rapper.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Onyx with Slam?
I forgot about them. Who else?