in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
its just a magazine!!!!

theres no such thing as a hip-hop bible. that was just their tag-line.

grow up already breh.

all I know is, when they started showing their faces, they were mostly white.
and I bet most of the black writers were dweebs.

good reads, but I could care less about their mic ratings. when it comes to things like that, you should be looking to the block.

yall the type of cats that believed in santa clause way too long.

nikka, you're like 24 aint ya?:hhh:
:comeon:

outkast debut wasn't on no hood shyt - you cant be serious with comparing them at that time to the hardcore/gangsta climate of that era
just because they dropped a few semi-hard bars doesn't make them mobb deep... i havnt listen to southernplayalist... in a long while (i could be wrong) BUT i hardly remember them cussing & using the word bytch on that album

Who said they were Mobb Deep?

You compared them to fukking Arrested Development:russ:

like real talk
that dude has zero to lil hip hop cred for saying that shyt about the source mag

even if dude was too young or not around back then - he should respect da culture
cause from '88 to da benzino takeover in da early 00's da shyt was 'the hip hop bible'

BTW - to add to the black writers/editors/co owner
ed young -
co owner
cheo hodari coker - wrote notorious movie, biggie book & luke cage
bonz malone - contributer to movie like shaft, life & juice
kierno mayo - former cheif-in editor ebony mag, started honey mag
reginald dennis - cheif editor, started XXL
elliott wilson - editor then ran XXL
chris wilder, rob marriot list goes on & on ....

EXACTLY

They had like an all-star team of Black writers. Dudes who like changed the game for Hip-Hop writing and this nikka trying to cover up his fukk up like, "It's just a magazine" & "you nikkaz still believe in Santa Claus":mjlol:

He's either too young and got caught up there or just wasn't no Hip-Hop head like that in the early '90s

One of them Freddie Jackson ass nikkaz

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
nikka, you're like 24 aint ya?:hhh:

I'm kinda confused because I'm 40....been into hip-hop since 1984....and I could've swore he was a lot younger than me but he said he's been into rap since the 80's. So I don't know.

Fred.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:francis: wait a minute
you telling me that outkast in 1994 were listed as street / thugs / calling women bytches type of rappers

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

While they had an overall depth to what they rapped about, it was still in that lane. Listen to "Hootie Hoo" or "Ain't No Thang".

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is this a serious question? :gucci:

They were talking about shooting people, pimping, and slanging dope on every other song. You need to revisit the album.

Fred.

I understand why bogus claims and narratives are made about Kast. It's like the first album never existed and the Kast that people know of is the late 90's to early '00's era.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
While they had an overall depth to what they rapped about, it was still in that lane. Listen to "Hootie Hoo" or "Ain't No Thang".

What's mind boggling is people are claiming Outkast wasn't gangster rap but early Ice Cube had far more depth than Outkast debut, but was still considered gangster rap. Half of Scarface's catalog is introspective songs but he's gangster rap. People act like gangster rap is this very narrow sub-genre only a handful of acts fall into.

I understand why bogus claims and narratives are made about Kast. It's like the first album never existed and the Kast that people know of is the late 90's to early '00's era.

Exactly. I like Wacky as a poster but "Outkast was never on some street, gangster shyt" is something I'd expect to hear from someone that never heard their debut....but he claims he heard it in real time....but if you put them in the Arrested Development lane during that era, cats would laugh in your face. He says a lot of really puzzling stuff.

Fred.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's mind boggling is people are claiming Outkast wasn't gangster rap but early Ice Cube had far more depth than Outkast debut, but was still considered gangster rap. Half of Scarface's catalog is introspective songs but he's gangster rap. People act like gangster rap is this very narrow sub-genre only a handful of acts fall into.

Exactly. I like Wacky as a poster but "Outkast was never on some street, gangster shyt" is something I'd expect to hear from someone that never heard their debut....but he claims he heard it in real time....but if you put them in the Arrested Development lane during that era, cats would laugh in your face. He says a lot of really puzzling stuff.

Fred.

Even with the later albums, they still had a street element to their content and lyrics. Speakerboxxx/Love Below is possibly them at their most because it nearly eschews all of the street, playa, pimp, gangsta elements of the previous albums.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Even with the later albums, they still had a street element to their content and lyrics. Speakerboxxx/Love Below is possibly them at their most because it nearly eschews all of the street, playa, pimp, gangsta elements of the previous albums.

Yeah....I'm trying to meet these cats half way though. They were still talking about street shyt on "ATLiens" but if somebody thought that was their first album, I could kinda understand saying they were never considered gangster rap. But their first album was solidly in the gangster rap/street rap category, so I don't know what the hell these guys are talking about.

Fred.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yeah you could not have been around and cognitive about hip hop culture.
There is no way in the early nineties you even sniffed a source.

Art Barr

ive been sniffing magazines(literally & figuratively) since before the source even became an in-store publication.

its just that IDGAF about the lure of a magazine. I don't hold stuff like that in high-regard. not just with rap, but with anything.

I have a collection of apter mags & books, but I don't swear by their opinions on wrestling.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@Wacky D was born in 1985.

l5RSTyL.png

Then....how has he been into rap since the 80's? Did he say that's when he was born?

Fred.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
What album are you guys listening to?
q3rB2c3.png

They don't do it in passing, at all. There's whole verses about it. Hell, there's whole songs about it.

You cats need to revisit the album....I don't know if you're getting it mixed up with "ATLiens" or what. The lead single was "Player's Ball" which referenced selling dope on Christmas day, for fukk sake....but people had to analyze the album to notice they were talking about street shyt?
0nPX60l.png

There's numerous references to killing people....pimping....slanging dope....various guns....but it's "playful and non-threatening"?
SqQ9Fju.png

Make a thread/poll, and I guarantee it'll be labeled as street/gangster rap. I've never even heard of it not being that, until this thread.

Fred.

People have the worst arguments about Outkast man. I guess that's what happens when you change with every album though..

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
bad boy was arista.:whistle:

you talk about TLC like its a bad thing. i mean, you do realize that outkast has been geared towards r&b/pop consumers since DAY ONE, right? how do you think they were able to go plat & double plat consistently in the '90s, without making a great impact?

outkast didn't get booed at the source awards just because they were from the south. they got booed mainly because a lot of people felt that their group was bullchit. I keep tryna tell yall, they were partly in that r&b-ish arrested development/pm dawn lane. but yall don't want to face facts. yall want to pretend that they were wutang or some sort of underground rap heroes that went platinum against the odds.:laugh:

sales don't equate to respect. and there were plenty of southern acts going plat or multi-plat before or during outkast. and a lot of them were from Atlanta.

geto boys got way more respect than outkast, so I don't know why youre trying to claim nobody got respect down there.

the 69 boyz didn't even get booed at the source awards and they were dry-humping the stage & poppin their asses for like 5 minutes. but let yall tell it, outkast only got booed cuz theyre from the south. OKAY BOSS.

they didn't exactly act young.

sure they played younger roles in most of their movies, but that's Hollywood.

jazzy jeff & the fresh prince did the same thing.
If that was what people up there thought then they're some fukkin idiots lol. Outkast ain't nothing like no damn PM Dawn or Arrested Development! I liked all three groups first albums(for the most part) Arrested Develooment was on some happy black love shyt which was great. PM Dawns album was soft AF and heavily religious. Southernplayalistic was some cool ass Atlanta street shyt. Three totally different groups and sounds.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Hootie Hoo, follow the funk from the skunk
And the dank that is crunk in the Dungeon
It goes on and on and on, like that
Going out to the Jeeps and hoes in the 'llac
Ah suki, suki, all day, e'rr day, any day, every damn day
I be thinking about the good ol' days when I was a whippersnapper
Used to try to get a kiss, but now it be them draws I'm after
I'm just a Southernplayalistic pimp
I used to slang a fat rock, but now I'm serving hemp
I never even smoked a gram of crack, but yo I'm dope
Mo' doper than a junkie or a Pookie cause it's on
So each one, teach one, I be claiming true
To East Pointe and College Park and the things I used to do
Around ATL, home of the pimps and the money makers
Club Nikki, Magic City and them Southern playas
I never said I was a gangsta but I will do ya
So Hallelujah, Hallelujah
One for the playas at the crib, drinking drinks
And two is for the sound, Hootie Hoo that I make

Now playing these bytches is my favorite sport
But ain't no game when they be calling your name in the court
Oh, it's Saturday night, I guess that makes it alright
Got an obese twenty sack, fully packed, it's so tight
That it's busting out the seams, yes sir, I'm set
Oh, but let me tuck the 380 before I jet
Hops off in the Lac with Big Gipp, you got a light? (Hootie Hoo)
Communication device dun went off twice
Should I answer the call, yes, we macking 'em all
We met 'em up in the mall, recall Player's Ball
Well, it's Player's Ball 2, so I guess I'll call you
Later on, and then your whole crew can fall through
Now later on done got here
I takes a peek, now let me see, what do we got here?
Draws, falling down like nikkas in a drive-by
I got up in them hoes and I told 'em bye bye
About two weeks later, she called me with some bullshyt
Talking 'bout her period late, guess what I did

*click*

naw, it couldn't be me. Not me

:mjlol: alternative R and B PM Dawn type rap, ladies and gentlemen

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If that was what people up there thought then they're some fukkin idiots lol.

I have no idea where he got that from. They got booed because the South wasn't really taken seriously back then and a Southern group or solo artist winning Best New Artist wasn't going to be accepted no matter who it was. Luda, Pastor Troy, Killer Mike, TI, Jermaine Dupri, etc. has spoken on this, and gave Outkast credit for making other regions take ATL seriously when it came to hip-hop.

Fred.