in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
youre talking about Born To Roll.. it was on Sittin on Chrome..

e47ba523a2c80c45433e389ab61cd991.1000x1000x1.jpg

go back & re-listen.. its clowning "east vs west" hip-hop..

:dwillhuh:

I'm not talking about Masta Ace at all. Why do you keep thinking in talking about him? I remember seeing some videos NOT MASTA ACE of some east coast rappers looking like they was from the West....NOT MASTA ACE!

I know one of them was that video "Gangsta bytch" by Apache. Besides Run DMC all I seen was a bunch of colorful creative nikkas in videos on the East. After the NWA and the West kicked the door a lot of rap music just got very dark and most rappers started mean mugging the camera. shyt,even Run DMCs Down With The King video looked dark and depressing and they was rappin about God....I think lol. But I always kept a cool balance in my rap music and never got consumed by the overkill of hardcore rap. I had Brotha Lynch Hung Tape next to Lords of the Underground tape that was next to a Too Short tape that was by the Das Efx tape!

Side Note:

I always wondered why Vin dissed Sir Mix A Lot over his song "Baby got back" but never said one word to Apache for his song "Gangsta bytch". I know they was cool but damn, keep it all the way real if you trying to be a stand up guy in HipHop.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That's not true.

Run-DMC started bringing in the White kids with the Aerosmith joint in like '86.

The Beastie Boys had the no.1 album in Amerikkka when rap was barely being played on the radio.

Hammer & Vanilla Ice were the ones who really busted the White market wide open.

NWA and Death Row NEVER reached the level of sales that Vanilla Ice & Hammer did, until 2pac died and "All Eyez on Me" went like Diamond.

yup

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

I'm not talking about Masta Ace at all. Why do you keep thinking in talking about him? I remember seeing some videos NOT MASTA ACE of some east coast rappers looking like they was from the West....NOT MASTA ACE!

I know one of them was that video "Gangsta bytch" by Apache. Besides Run DMC all I seen was a bunch of colorful creative nikkas in videos on the East. After the NWA and the West kicked the door a lot of rap music just got very dark and most rappers started mean mugging the camera. shyt,even Run DMCs Down With The King video looked dark and depressing and they was rappin about God....I think lol. But I always kept a cool balance in my rap music and never got consumed by the overkill of hardcore rap. I had Brotha Lynch Hung Tape next to Lords of the Underground tape that was next to a Too Short tape that was by the Das Efx tape!

Side Note:

I always wondered why Vin dissed Sir Mix A Lot over his song "Baby got back" but never said one word to Apache for his song "Gangsta bytch". I know they was cool but damn, keep it all the way real if you trying to be a stand up guy in HipHop.
As far as the dark and gritty look in hip hop. That was mostly an east coast thing. And it reflected what the east coast looked like at the time. shyt compare what Dre and Snoop was doing at the time they wasn't even mean mugging like that. Them nikkas was lookin like they was in the hood having a good ass time. Parties n chillin n smoking and drinkin. I attribute that bald head mean mug look Run DMC was doing in the Down With The King video to ONYX.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Side Note:

There were lowriders in the Gangsta bytch video?
Flannel was big east to west in the early to mid 90s.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
As far as the dark and gritty look in hip hop. That was mostly as east coast thing. And it reflected what the east coast looked like at the time. shyt compare what Dre and Snoop was doing at the time they wasn't even mean mugging like that. Them nikkas was lookin like they was in the hood having a good ass time. Parties n chillin n smoking and drinkin. I attribute that bald head mean mug look Run DMC was doing in the Down With The King video to ONYX.

:lolbron:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Truth be told they were there before that. I remember seeing some documentary that had footage from Fresh Fest in Long Island with a bunch of white people. Now that might have been after 86, but I think Fresh Fest was before that. I'm googling obviously this is way before my time. I was born in 1980.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Truth be told they were there before that. I remember seeing some documentary that had footage from Fresh Fest in Long Island with a bunch of white people. Now that might have been after 86, but I think Fresh Fest was before that. I'm googling obviously this is way before my time. I was born in 1980.

White people knew about hiphop since Rappers Delight on a mainstream level but RUN DMC really drew them in with that Rap-rock hybrid.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
THe premise of this thread is bad because the principal, kid n play in the discussion were perennial sellouts of the highest order.

As kid n play are using an excuse base to gain sympathy.
to deflect from how sell out and commercial they were.
instead of sticking to their guns making cultural based rap music.
Instead they settled for big budget over produced rap that did not resonate.
Plus coupled with their movie permeation and commercial turn of direction music is why they failed.
It just so happened at the time radio and bds were changing and their more culturally minded contemporaries like heavy d. As first heavy was a ol school way of thought carryover new school way of thought artist. Who could still make ol school way of thought based records like ll cool j who also was also carryover from the new school way of thought.
As heav's mca way ol school new school carryover based artistry and directions.
Pioneered daytime radioplay for rap, almost singlehadidly. Before the full change of radio in april 1993.
Heav in this same instance was an mca based artist and also had pop inclusion and emotional sway from the loss of trouble t Roy.
to act as a buffer for their mca way based commercial outlet music. Plus, mca already had sway wit any anynd everyone because they were mca.
This emotional model to sway the public at mca was also used by puff.
to gain the same wanna be bullet proof sentiment for nwo after big death.
Which resulted in the protection mechanisms being killed off of the skills generation culturally for hiphop and in the business of rap.

Not every group was ruined by gangsta rap and using an unsung gateway show aired on a Viacom network.
Is always never going to tell the full story.
As even their bdk special was missing ain't no half stepping.

So, you can not use unsung as the basis of your knowledge factually in a cultural context to find what you missed in hiphop history.

Plus, kid n play were not ol school to new school carry over groups.
That could not produce the same pass system base semantics of ol school to new school carryover legacy like defjam's ll or mca's heav.
Kid n play tried to play like they were ol school carry over legacy groups and were distinct new school way acts.
That came after salt n pepa's carryover legacy time line from the impact of the Roxanne wars and rhe battle of the sexes. Which also almost ruined rap from no protection mechanisms and why the new school hardcore bboy movement stepped in.
to culturally ground the rap business in premise going into what would be and out of the Golden age to this mid nineties timeline of discussion.

Art Barr

Hope this helps out cause I have posted in depth about kid n play for two decades in this community and how they fell off to their best records that sampled last night.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
THe premise of this thread is bad because the principal in the discussion were perennial sellouts of the highest order.

As kid n play re using an excuse base to gain sympathy.
to deflect from how sell out and commercial they were instead of sticking to their guns making cultural based rap music.
Instead they settled for big budget over produced rap that did not resonate.
Plus coupled with their movie permeation and commercial turn of direction ,usic is why they failed.
It just so happened at the time radio and bds were changing and their more culturally minded contemporaries like heavy d. Who pioneered daytime radio for rap.
The same instance was an mca based artist and also had pop inclusion and emotional sway from the loss of trouble t Roy.
to act as a buffer for their mca way based commercial outlet music. Plus, mca already had sway wit any anynd everyone because they were mca.
This emotional model to sway the public at mca was also used by puff to gain the same wanna be bullet proof sentiment for nwo after big death.
Which resulted in the protection mechanisms being killed off of the skills generation culturally for hiphop and in the business of rap.

Not every group was ruined by gangsta rap and using an unsung gateway show aired on a Viacom network.
Is always never going to tell the full story.
As even their bdk special was missing ain't no half stepping.

So, you can not use unsung as the basis of your knowledge factually in a cultural context to find what you missed in hiphop history.

Art Barr
I was waiting for u to finally chime in bro.

Daps
I didn't know about that until years later. I didn't have those albums in the 90s. Funny part about it is Born To Roll got massive radio/video play out here. :prodigylol:
true..

ironically.. the first time i hear Biggie.. and, i mean ALOT.. was when i first stayed in LA.. :patrice:

Side Note:

my bad.. thought you were describing Ace.. ill hold that L.. :hubie:

and.. Down with the King, was about God.. video & song was tough as hell.. :ohlawd:

Eazy E was even in that joint..:ooh:

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
There were lowriders in the Gangsta bytch video?
Flannel was big east to west in the early to mid 90s.

:ohhh:

Wearing flannels with blue and red rags was a style on the East in the early 90s?

I so my bad I never knew that!

Edit:

I'll find that video. It's a female rapping rolling in a 64 or a 63.

Daps
As far as the dark and gritty look in hip hop. That was mostly an east coast thing. And it reflected what the east coast looked like at the time. shyt compare what Dre and Snoop was doing at the time they wasn't even mean mugging like that. Them nikkas was lookin like they was in the hood having a good ass time. Parties n chillin n smoking and drinkin. I attribute that bald head mean mug look Run DMC was doing in the Down With The King video to ONYX.
the entire aesthetic of DWTK video.. was basically ONYX..

was that the same park Warriors was filmed at..? :lupe: